Sign in to follow this  

New DDR 2700 ram - FS2002 crashes

You have a AMD XP 2400 which does not use 333+ FSB which means that 2700 (333) ram is useless. You need to stick with PC2100 . You can use PC2700 but it will not actually be as fast as it could be . You motherboard can do FSB 333+ but you are not using a processor that will allow it to happen. This might be the core of the problem. Before returning that ram if you have not updated XP at all or the 4 n 1 drivers , this could be another source of the problem although not likely. Capt.Richard Dillon (KATL)www.jetstarairlines.comhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg"Lets Roll" 9/11 -----------------------Specs AMD 2400 XP MSI KTV4 512MB DDR 2100Asus GF4 ti 4200 128MBSB Audigy Gamer Ch Products Yoke and Pedals(usb)Windows 2000 Serivce Pack 3

Mr Vulcan,Thank you for hitting the nail on the head.Cheers,Greg G

Micro$haft Windows 98SE!? :~P :-erksBoth friends of mine and technicians from Dell Computer encourage users to have Windows 2000 or XP for anything. Now we're seriously talking about a waste of RAM and money. I used to have my office machine running Win98 and I went from 256MB to 512MB and it didn't do a **** thing.-Matt

I changed the BIOS to AUTO and it (the board) changed the PC2700 from 333 to 266 for me. Even with that the system is still faster with two 512 PC2700 running at 266 than the three PC2100 256 chips. I have XP Pro and you are correct, 98SE or anything below that is not worth the time. I am in the process of moving and have not had a lot of time but I did reload FS2002 and the it did not shut down on me. When I say shut down I an talking about FS2002 only. If you are a 98 or 98SE user you will get the blue screen of death. With XP only the program causing the problem will shut down.When the XP2600+ chip price falls I will solve the 333 bus speed problem and purchase a new chip. Until then there is no reason for the problem that I have. It should work fine. Thanks for all the help. I am trying some of the suggestions, between packing boxes.Denny O

You'd be happier with Windows 2000, I ran it on my old P2 450mhz office machine. :-hah-Matt

If I were you, I wouldn't run around and keep saying more ram is a waste. It may be a waste for your perception, but others are running a lot of applications that take a substantial amount of ram to support.I run FS2002, SquawkBox, Roger Wilco, FSNavigator, Servinfo, Metars, 3 Video screens, a couple of web pages opened, and some misc background files. I've seen ram utilization over 500MB often. My 1GB of 1066 RDRAM just purrs right along, and, I don't have to worry about slowing down with any disk swapping going on.So, before you make a ridiculous statement like that, please get some good advise.P4-3.06GHz @ 3.4GHz1 Gig of 1066 RDRAM3 MonitorsWater Cooled

Considering that I've run that exact same workload, on 256MB before I upgraded last year in November, on an Athlon XP 2000+ - its not so ridiculous. You've seen RAM utilization over 500MB because its possible on your machine. Let me tell you, as I stated in my last post back, I'm a "economist" - I assume from the beginning that people don't have money trees in their backyards. Nice computer you got, did you rob a bank to get it? :-lolWhen I run 3ds max 5, plus all the other items you mentioned, AND virus, firewall, ICQ, and Mozilla hiding the background - with no slow-downs or page problems on 2 monitors, then paying probably over $340 for 1GB of RAM isn't so attractive.I have yet to see the shocking amounts of RAM usage that FS has at FL380. When your flying over a big city at low altitude, your supposed be in the sim. controlling the jet, not browsing the web on final approach.Ridiculous for you, worth looking at for those with no denarii.-Matt

I paid $62 per 512 chip. That is $124 + $12 to ship from Newegg. P.S. I fixed the problem. The reload of FS2002 did the trick. I guess it didn't like the change but have had no problem since. Flew form BNA to DFW and the response and detail was great. Everyone has an opinion and the correct one is the one that works best for you and your system. For me money is no object, just got three new offers for credit cards today. Three cards, $10k limits, lets see ---- $30k. Time for a new system.Just kidding of course.Denny ONashville

Updated my computer a few weeks ago to:- EPoX motherboard with Nvidia nForce 2,- AMD 2500+ barton,- 2* 512 Mb DDR Kingston (nice cheap),- ATI 9700 Pro,and had lock-ups all the time.Looked in the forums and saw similar problems and suggested remedies:- FS2002 in Windows 98/Me mode: no result,- remove side of the case (problem could be heating): no result,- other drivers for the ATI: no result,- only one memory module: no result,and then I saw in an other forum the next message:---------------------------------------------------------"You might want to set your memory timings lower. I have almost the same configuration, with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe and 2x512MB Kingston Memory... running at 166MHz, and it would crash on me and boot me to the desktop almost every time.I tried AGP 4X, Fast Writes off, and basically all combinations from the sticky thread, and none of them worked, until I set my memory to 133MHz instead of 166MHz (which the motherboard took when I set it to Auto).Now it works absolutely fine, with 8X AGP, Fast Writes on. Just try setting your mem. speed lower in the BIOS."-----------------------------------------------------------Tried it and it did it: no more crashes of FS2002, only ................................................with the add-on "Vulcan" of Phoenix, the system crashed again.Tried my old Infineon 256 Mb: no problems.Now for certainty, change to an other manifacturer (Major).Conclusion: in case of updates, the compatibility of the RAM with the chipset on the motherboard is very important and, if this is not 100%, it can cause lock-ups with fs2002 (without add-ons), but also, when fs2002 functions ok with the standard planes, it can cause a lock-up when you use an add-on.Keep you informed about my experience with the "Major" RAM.Willem

Hi Willem,there are known problems with nForce chipsets and certain Kingston RAM modules, namely the ones that use Hynix chips. Check the chips on your RAM modules, and if they have the name 'Hynix' printed on them, exchange them for ones that use other chips (Kingston's own work fine). If for some reason, the shop where you bought it won't exchange your RAM, contact Kingston, they will.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thanks Gosta.The chips are "Samsung 313".Exange is no problem; the new ones will be "Major 3rd" PC3200.Hope, these work better.WillemBy the way: also with my old Infinion RAM, the system locks with the Vulcan (certainly not with fs2002), but after about 4 hours; so I think, with that subject I have to live and ...... most flights don't exeed that time.