Sign in to follow this  
I132

Track IR Opinions in FS9

Checking out Jeffs video's of Vancouver+ at www.fsaddon.com will convince you of the versatility of flying with TrackIR.I own the TrackIR4 and would say it's the best bit of hardware ever designed for flightsim and I would not fly without it either any more.To the gentleman that has problems holding his head still while operating switches and settings - Assign 'Mouse three', that's done by pressing down the wheel of your mouse to 'Pause' your TrackIR, - Then you will have no problems.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>To the gentleman that has problems holding his head still>while operating switches and settings - Assign 'Mouse three',>that's done by pressing down the wheel of your mouse to>'Pause' your TrackIR, - Then you will have no problems.Another solution I use (but quite frankly not very much since becoming very accustomed to the sensitivity of head movement using TrackIR) is the program 'FlightAsssistant', which allows controls via voice commands using a headset. I have assigned the voice command "still" to stop the TrackIR movement temporarily if I am finding it difficult to select certain buttons because of turbulence, or similar. Repeating the voice command "still" reactivates movement.I also have voice commands for TrackIR's "precision" mode, and "center".

Guest oldngray

"( plus I just can't land in a 2D panel anymore on a visual approach..."Thanks, this comment just turned a light on in my head.I've been away from flight simming for over a year now due to health problems. The past few days I've loaded up FS9 and made a few flights but am having terrible difficulty lining up and touching down on the centerline. Before my cancer treatments began I was using my Track IR3 regularly but loaned it to someone when I felt I wouldn't be flying anymore.Not sure this is the answer but I believe it is time to ask for my hardware to be returned.Edit: Forgot my name!Don

After watching those videos I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!!Thanks to all that replied.Scott

>After watching those videos I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!!>>>Thanks to all that replied.>ScottScott, that's what convinced me too ;-) All Jeff's video's are the best I've seen.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I want it but it's $260 in Canada (postage and taxes included). Ouch.

You might want to check eBay, if you are inclined, or a member.I have got some pretty good deal's from eBay over the years, and my TrackIR was one of them, purchased 'buy it now' from a vendor with a good price and rating.

Guest melevine

Scott,The TrackerIR really added a sense of "immersion" to my flying. I agree totally with all of the others who stated (below) that they couldn't do without it now.Let me add one other thing. When Matrox came out with their TripleHead2Go device this past spring that allows a vastly expanded virtual cockpit to extend over 3 monitors at 3840x1024 resolution, that was the "icing" on the proverbial cake. That already expanded view, when coupled with the ability of the TrackerIR to allow you to move closer to the panel, look behind the yoke at switches, turn back to look over your shoulder during flying in the pattern, position yourself a bit higher for approach, etc. is as "good as it gets" while using MSFS!Certainly cost is an issue for all of us, as we desire (and hopefully) acquire hardware like this. (in my case, I already had a 21"CRT, and I was able to find 2 IBM (Sony)flatscreen CRTs for $40 each!!! (everyone wants flat panel LCD's....so there are lots of CRTs around to be had at a bargain) The TH2Go cost $299 and the TrackerIR <$150. So...for a little more than $500 I now have a wonderful setup!Just my opinion.R/Mike

Altstiff,Thanks for the link. I'll be going there at buying time. I saw it listed at about $219Cdn on the other site.:-beerchug

I purchased it and used it for awhile but found it to be VERY uncomfortable to have to keep my neck and head still and in the "correct" postion all of the time. I am in my upper 60's so this might me an "old man" problem. I guess that I didn't realize how much I moved my head and neck while flying FS2004 WITOUT it. It was a very cool program and did what it was advertised to do but it hurt my neck too much to use. Another reviewer stated, "When I'm in an airliner it's not much use for doing the systems and such. So I never use it when I'm flying the big birds."I, like him fly mostly the big airliner aircraft and I almost NEVER fly in the VC mode. jerry

Ther is always the 'pause' switch to ease your situation?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks again to all that replied. I installed it yesterday and I love it. It does take a little getting used to, but it is a new world for GA. Happy Flying,Scott

Enjoy.Yep, I think it may have taken me about 3-4 months to become completely comfortable, but now I have adapted fully, and the 'faster' it works is actually my preference....where as after I first installed it, I was using profiles with big 'dead zones' and the 'precision mode'. I do neither anymore. Just be patient with your 'adapting curve'.Fantastic piece of equipment.

Guest NaturalPoint_Vince

Enjoy!!!