Sign in to follow this  
I132

Track IR Opinions in FS9

I am doing some research on the Track IR. I have read several reviews and seen some posts, but would like the common man/woman's opinion. First of all, do you use it and enjoy it? Is there any performance hit? If you had the chance to purchase it again would you? It seems like it would be pretty darn cool, especially with planes like RealAir's Spitfire and Scouts.If anyone would care to share their own plus or minus opinions I would appreciate it. Respectfully Scott

Id Second that, it looks like quite an add-on.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Hi Scott,I did write the AVSIM review and wonder why my opinion doesn't seem to count? I am a simming enthusiast just like the rest of us that frequent this forum. I also have over twenty years experience as a real world pilot and am reasonable picky about what I feel is a worthwhile addition to the simming experience.I can easily answer your questions and personally I don't feel I should be excluded from the "common man/woman's opinion."1. "First of all, do you use it and enjoy it?" Yes, for every flight unless I am flying an aircraft that doesn't have a VC (of which I fly only a few of and since getting TrackIR I have pretty much lost interest if it doesn't have a VC).2. "Is there a performance hit?" No, in fact I find that the panning around using the TrackIR is considerably smoother than using a hat switch and the added ability to move up and down/closer and further away allow looking around or behind the yoke and/or getting a closer look at a particular instrument... all positives and no negatives.3. "If you had the chance to purchase it again would you?" Yes, without a doubt. It is without a question on my "Must Have" list of items for flight simming. That seems to be a prevailing opinion in all posts regarding the TrackIR so unless you're a dyed in the wool VC hater I can't imagine what's holding you back... you are aware of their 30 day return policy aren't you? You don't have anything to lose and everything to win.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I own TIR3(with the vector expansion). I love it in IL-2, won't fly with out it and in FS9 when I'm doing VFR flying I use it.When I'm in an airliner it's not much use for doing the systems and such. So I never use it when I'm flying the big birds.I'm glad I got it. And I notice no performance hit what so ever. If your into VFR flying (or combat sims) it is a must have.

Zane,It is not that I don't respect your opinion. In fact it is your review that first got me interested in the product. I just want as many views as I can get before dropping $170.00 on anything. Some people enjoy foot rubs, others don't. Trust me... you weren't excluded what so ever. :) The reviews at AVSIM have always weighed in heavily on my purchases. I apologize if my post led you to any negetive conclusions on your review or any other avsim review. Respectfully,Scott

No prob Scott and thanks for the clarification. I used to use FlyII a lot more than I do now because of ROTW's simulation of the TBM700 and Seneca but the lack of TrackIR (and having a VC) compatibility certainly curtails much of my use of it now.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I would not fly without it. When I do fly without it 'on', (to do some 'testing'), I feel like half of my FS is 'gone'.It takes some time to get used to, but after a couple/few months, it is very natural.Love it.

zfehr has it spot on.It's transformed my FS life. Now I am a "VC snob" - no VC, no fly. It's probably the single most important piece of hardware I own now, it's that good.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Why is it not so useful for the big birds? That's mostly all i fly.

>Why is it not so useful for the big birds? That's mostly all>i fly.When I'm flying an airliner (I moslty fly the PMDG 747 and LVD 767) I'm adding/deleting entry's into the CDU and playing with the MCP. I don't like having to hold my head still while I'm trying to fine tune a knob.

I do it all the time in more complex GA aircraft, as well as the Eaglesoft Citation X.Once you get very good at it (read: use it allot), it becomes 'second nature'. What I never could see myself doing when I first got it, I know find quite easy.I change frequancies via VC knobs, input MFD/PDF/FMS via the knobs/buttons, etc all with TrackIR. And when necessary, there are always pop-up's. Which are basically 2D panels within the VC as required.

Guest dpc

I would have to second this. Planes I fly are flown in VC only. I love the TackIR4. It also works great on driving sims, if you are so inclined. As far as those having issue with turning knobs and pushing buttons in the VC (trying to keep your head still)here's a suggestion. I've assigned the TrackIR pause function to my mouse's scrollwheel button. When I'm doing details like programming my Garmin, I look where I need to and push down on my scrollwheel. It freezes the movement until I tap it again. I highly recommend the TrackIR4

It's the Number 1 addon for me too, Scott. Wouldn't fly without it. In the real world your head is all over the place: this device makes that completely possible in the sim. Add a seat, yoke, throttle setup and the right pc hardware - you're flying at bargain prices!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest jgreth123

Without going too much into detail, it's definately a must-have for simming. I use it for GA + Airliners just the same. I fly the Level-D / PMDG planes mostly and they both have fully-functional Virtual Cockpits ( meaning all knobs, switches, etc work ).I had to go a week without it once ( one of the 'eyes' on it went out and I sent it back to get it replaced [ free of charge, thanks NaturalPoint :) ] ). I didn't do much flying that week. It wasn't anywhere near as fun ( plus I just can't land in a 2D panel anymore on a visual approach... in the VC w/ free head movement you can really use the outside cues like in real life ).Anyhow... definately a must-have.You won't be sorry.

Guest ruudpel

I too agree with the above said; I can't imagine FS anymore with TrackIRI have to say, it also does have one disadvantage; you'll love flying from the VC so much, you probably won't fly a lot of planes anymore with a (good) VC.I'm also experiencing some bugs in combination with Active Camera..with some planes, including the RealAir Spitfire unfortunately, I can't run AC and TrackIR at the same time. If I do, the view in my VC is shaking all the time, as if I'm doing dozens of minor movements with my head all the time. If I then turn off AC, everything runs smooth, but I have no fly-by's anymore.Other than the bug mentioned above, it's a must-have for any serious FS simmer. I also love the fact that it's extremely customizable, it's very user friendly, and it's suitable for ANY time of aircraft, from a Cirrus SR-20 to a 747-400.You won't regret your purchase!