Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leesw

HELP! How do you stop those WindowXP pop up ads?

I have Windows XP and get these annoying pop up adds that just show up. They pop up during my flightsim sessions which is really annoying. I have a cable modem so I am always online but not necessarily having my browser open. I remember reading that there is a file within the Windows folder that you either rename or remove to stop this. Can anyone help with this? Thanks

Eric 

Most likely you have downloaded some spyware. Try to get rid of it by using software like Spybot, Adaware etc. In the meantime, you could add entries to your 'HOSTS' file (located at 'C:WindowsSystem32Driversetc'), which would ban internet access to certain sites by redirecting them back to your own machine (IP address '127.0.0.1').If you like, I can send you my 'HOSTS' file with the most notorious offenders banned.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Eric, sounds like you may be infected by a trojan virus. Give these 2 articles a read and see if that sounds like your problem. If so, they both provide instructions on how to get rid of the problem, although it will require editing your registry, so be careful. You should export a copy of your registry to a safe location before you start editing anything. Here are the links:MS KnowledgeBasehttp://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...dss.trojan.html

Gotsa, yes please send me that! efisher2@cfl.rr.comScott, will read up on that and go have a look see to check if I got one. I have Norton Internet security that blocks most Trojan intrusions and always leave my firewall on but will check anyways.

Eric 

If its the messages about Diplomas, etc then do the following....Start, Run then type services.mscLook for the Service halfway down the list called Messenger, double click on it and where it says "Startup Type" change it to disabled (if it reads Manual or Automatic).Please not that disabling this service will NOT affect Windows Messenger as this is a totally separate program used for sending messages between clients and servers on a network.Bill

Yes, I found this using another web site dedicated to XP tweaks but thanks for your reply. I will no longer get those stupid pop up's from this avenue again.

Eric 

Hello!Yes those are annoying but the solution is quite simple. What you need is a firewall on your computer. Many sites online offer free firewall protection but I have found the best to be at a site called www.sygate.com. Look for the Sygate PERSONAL Firewall (not PRO EDITION). The Personal is free for home use and will block all those adds with little/no configuration.Cheers,Marchttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Guest Leesw

What he is referring to is Instant Messanger spam. It is not a virus, it is an exploitation of a normal system advisory function of Windows XP. You don't need a firewall to get rid of it, just use the method mentioned above by Bill McQueen and you will never see it again.It is frightening to think how many people are living with that cr@p not knowing how easy it is to get rid of.