Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Missing Airports

I have a problem I have never seen nor heard of. All my airports from the New York area (except for the major ones) are missing from my FSNav maps and from Flight Sim. I suppose that the default file for that area is corrupted somehow, but don't know which file to look for or where to look for it on the FS disks.Area missing is from W71 to W75 and from N39 to N41. Grass areas are where airports are supposed to be, but no runways and no ILS operation (no ILS for even the major airports). Airports also do not appear in the "Go To Airport" menu in Flight Sim. Intersections, VORs and NDBs, however, do appear and function.Anyone have this problem before? Anyone know on which FS disk and what folder the default scenery file for the NY area is in?Thanks,Dave Hinson

What you are describing sounds like an exclusion area error.Someone creating a scenery download used the wrong numbers or switches and created an extensions.I've probably seen a dozen posts about exactly the same issue in the same exact area. But I don't know the solution which they found.The scenery is in the NAME folder.AP928170.BGL holds the airport data. Other files with those numbers will hold buildings, terrain, utilities, roads, railroads and bridges.The OB files in that folder also hold buildings and generic scenery objects.The NV file in the folder will hold Navaids for the entire region.The average airports in FS2004 uses between 5 and 15 files to make up the airport.

Like Reggie was writing, if you are missing runways and ILS, then you should look for a missing AP9 file, AP928170.bgl. Since you have VORs NDBs, and waypoints, your NV9 file is OK. Since you have grass in your airport areas, your AB9 file is also OK. The other thing to check is if the airport buildings are missing or not. If the buildings are gone, it could either be the above mentioned exclusion error, or missing OB9 files. Note that the OB9 files cover different areas than the terrain files. You should have 5 OB9 files OB9NAME0.bgl - OB9NAME4.bgl.scott s..

Thanks all for the help. I will check the appropriate files and reload.N.B. Found the AP928170 file was missing in my scenery/name/scenery directory. Found it from a backup made when (evidently) downloading some NY scenery. Haven't checked whether that solved the problem, but will let you know.Dave Hinson

Happy New Year to all!I have a somewhat similar (but not quite) problem. After a long absence from FS, I am rekindling the spirit, but have forgotten my latest moves before the "sabbatical". So I have some difficulty tracking the issue.The symptoms: some airports are no longer selectable via flight planner or "Create flight". Selecting them results in a N89:30 E00:00 location. However, they do exist inasmuch as they are visible on the map and if I drag the a/c there, the scenery is complete, the tower responds, etc. These are original FS9 airports, not third party add-ons. Without having done an extensive search, it appears that the missing airports all lie in a specific rectangular area; e.g. Paris, Strasbourg, Geneva, Basel are OK but Lyon, Nice, Marseille are not.I am reluctant to do a clean scenery reinstall because of all the add-ons I don't want to lose. If someone can think of a quick fix, I'll be most grateful.Thanks!Phil