Sign in to follow this  
Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Re-installing Windows XP (Serious Help Please)

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Gentlemen, I am in trouble. I have 2 Hard Drives... I have my whole flight sim plus about $600.00 dollars worth of add-on's on my raptor 70 gig drive with the OS on it... It seems I have somehow gotten some of my windows file's corrupt from something. I have a 250 gig Western Digital drive also I just bought before this (whew)... I have tried to do a recover and repair of my Win Xp and neither is working it is going to force me to re-install (advanced set-up or to that effect.) Which I will have to format my Hard drive with my Sim on it. I will be formatting it looks like tomorrow morning sometime. I did a windows backup of the whole C: to my New D:... My next question Is will I be able to recover all that info over to my fresh install on my raptor after I re-install my Win Xp over. Or instead of doing a backup of the whole C: with my windows OS on it that is acting funky. Should I just back everything up other than that... Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I just do not want to go through the #### of having to re-install all my add-on's one by one again. And looking for the key's etc etc... P.S. I would have posted this in hardware forum don't know what happened to it. Thanks Kindly, Josh

Guest tango papa

I just went through the same problem, well sort of. I did an upgrade from Win98ME, to WinXP. In the process of installing a program, I had to do a restart. When the computer started up again, I ended up in a Scandisc loop. I had to swap HD's slave to master and start over from scratch with a new WinXP install. You don't really have any easy way except to start over with new O/S install on good HD, and then a fresh install of FS. You should be able to backup your files, to safe yourself from d/l'ing everything again. But you will have to reinstall files into FS. Don't forget to install the FS update before adding any files.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest kilotango

One little advice.When you are doing a reinstall of OS on your main drive, and have backups on another HD, unconnect that slave when installing OS.Anything can happen with saved files no mather where they are.I know!

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Hello, Thanks any advice is good advice for this kinda junk (yuk)... I am dreading doing this scared crapless and I hate building back from the bottom up. Happy Landings, Josh

You don't have to reformat the C: drive to reinstall WinXP. I'd try reinstalling WinXP without reformatting.After all is said and done, probably a good idea to take the lesson to heart and move FS (and any other non-easily-replaceable software) to another partition.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest hopsing88

I've already been thru enough reinstalls to know that there really isn't another respectable alternative than reinstalling your setup. But I would like to make the suggestion that you invest the $50 for Norton Disk Doctor at this critical time. Sorry to say, Symantec, the new owner, no longer offer Norton Utilities as a stand-alone product. You gotta buy the whole package to get Doctor Norton, but since you mentioned CORRUPTED FILES, the warning flag should be up. If you think you have corrupted files, how to you propose to sort all this out?Are you planning to reinstall your flt sim setup using corrupted files? How will you sort out which is corrupted and which is not? If it