Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeGTO

Engine damage from abuse/high throttle

Guest MikeGTO

Does FS9 model engine damage resulting from excessively high throttle settings? If I firewall the throttle I see some indicators turn red, but I can fly that way for a long time, and don't seem to hurt the engines. I don't want "random" engine failures, but it'd be nice if they overheated/failed as they would in real life, if limits are exceeded.

No.Unless you create a gauge that monitors the throttle "abuse" and then creates an engine failure.Rather simple to make, but I've never seen a freeware one (no-one had the idea, I guess :-) ).Maybe one of the more complex payware aircraft has such a function, dunno.Cheers, Rob

Guest Pilot533

This is something which I wish was not so neglected by microsoft and addon creators, it really makes flying pretty dull and boring if you can abuse the engines in any way and not have any side effects.

If you do a Google for Harrier Panels Yak-12A you may find something of interest.

>Rather simple to make, but I've never seen a freeware one>(no-one had the idea, I guess :-) ).>Maybe one of the more complex payware aircraft has such a>function, dunno.IIRC, there is a freeware high-quality Hurricane for FS9, that models that. Also, Real Air Spitfire engine will blow up if you over-boost it for too long.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The RealAir Spitfire does this. When I first got it, I floored the throttle just to be fast. Hey, it's not like engine abuse is modelled right?Sure it isn't. I landed safely in a field after ruining my Spitfire and getting lots of flames and smoke.

Guest MikeGTO

Thanks for the replies! At least now I know that it's plane-dependent and the possibility exists.

Its like all controls. the postions available are the positions you can use.If they didn't want you use it, it wouldn't be there.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi,I have also found that the engines are indestructible in FS9, even in a PMDG aircraft. However, I have actually damaged the landing gear without having any preset failures. While flying the PMDG 737 on approach into KDEN in blinding snow, I came out of the clouds on top of a Mooney and had to pull up to avoid it. Unfortunately my right landing gear must have struck the smaller plane because it only retracted about halfway and became stuck in that position. No amount of cycling would move it. I was able to circle around on a missed approach and crash land without setting off the crash dectection in FS9. The most thrilling landing I've had for a long time although I never saw what happened to the Mooney, not a good outcome I presume. I hope in the future that failure modeling gets more realistic in Flight Sim. I have a screenshot of that landing that I will post on the screenshots forum in the future.Kim K

Hi - if you want to learn about how real aeroplanes respond to abuse get yourself Digital Aviation's "Dornier Do-27". It shakes; it rattles; it doesn't want to start in cold or damp weather; it'll misfire on take-off; the flaps will stick; the windshield will get bug-splattered and dirty (it's already cracked); it'll use oil; in fact it's not even an aeroplane I would want to buy in real life. This thing has ATTITUDE! - but it's a great challenge because it forces one to do things properly, and it's also fun to fly. Really different.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

PJ,Hey, that sounds just like my jeep. I might get that aircraft and give it a try. Thanks for the info.Kim K

. . or my old K-Car.Did you see this video? It's Jeff Greth doin' his thing! Great video.http://jeff.lumacs.net/Do-27FlyinRoundPortland.wmv Regards,(PS - Thanks again, Jeff - if you spot this post!)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.