Sign in to follow this  
David B

Wanna Have a fun flight...try this

Hey fellow aviators.Not sure how far back you can set up Active Sky or other WX.But today, Jan 17th, On our flight from PHX-ABQ. Southwest 1337.We were in A/C N691WN(737-300), filed for FL370 for the leg.We ended up leveling off at FL330 due to bad ride above and some great tailwinds. Unfortunately, it was short lived, as the ride deteriorated at FL330 as well. But, while we were cruising at FL330, .76 Mach....our groundspeed was 629kts! That's fairly smokin for an ole -300. :-) I've seen that speed a few times in the -700, this was my second in the -300.We pushed at 1619(1 min earlier than sched.) and arrived Gate A8 ABQ at 1711. All times CST. Gave us a 52 min block time. Would have been considerably shorter, but, had some delays both in PHX and ABQ w/ ATC.If you want to recreate; Departed PHX 7L on the St. John's 3 SID and the Lavan 3 STAR into ABQ landing on RW 3.Just curious if any who try the flight, will get the same or better groundspeed. Again, we were cruising at .76.Anyrate, till the ride got lousy, it was a blast zipping across. especially, since we had spent the last 3 days in 100+ knot headwinds.Have Fun.David

I have virtually flown once from CYYT to CYYZI had 150knots headwind at FL380. I had a groundspeed of around 280knots which was miserable. I asked for FL240 where the headwind was only 85 knots. My wife was upset because this flight lasted much longer than expected!!!My experience.RegardsG. Viguie

I've had the chance to do several flights these past few days and the subtropical jet that is currently stretching from south of AZ through Georgia and then turning up the east coast is really kicking!! Go to the NOAA ADDS page to see the speeds at different levels, but up around FL330 it was about 125 kts. Active Sky is setting up these winds very well. To keep the wife happy make sure all your flights are west-to-east! ;-) Mike

Guest Shalomar

HUH????:(FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

All wind and no P--s? :-)

Dave Taylor gb.png