Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

feelthere 737 vs pmdg ng

i have the pmdg ng and like it but i want something different, something not all glass, im thinking of getting the ft 737, just wanted to know how it compares. like in the flight model, are the going to "feel" the same? are the fps's worse? or same? how about in cockpit sounds. i was watching some in cockpit sounds on flight level 350 and noticed how noisy everything is - i wish this would be duplicated better..any advice, would be niceciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Two different birds (-300 series versus Next Generation glass display version). Both birds have great FDE's, FeelThere has a more heavier feel (I've never flown the real bird so there's no way of telling which FDE is better than the other). The FeelThere model is newer with better framerates (at least for me; this is only if one takes the time to adjust the various display screen settings in the provided configuration utility). Concerning sounds you get more with FeelThere meaning gear wind noise etc. I use Des Braban's sounds with the PMDG bird because more than anything you hear wind noise over engine noise in the 737 (not on the level of the 744 or the MD80 though for those checking). This was my biggest problem with PMDG's 737 but again it must be noted how old this add-on is now. PMDG has all the displays linked to each other meaning both ND screens display the same info versus the ability to adjust each independently (I can't stress enough how this can hinder you situational awareness on approach). In the FeelThere model you can independently adjust the ND screens, you also have a weather radar and TCAS option on top of that. The VC's are a mixed bag. PMDG's VC is showing it's age while some have complained about the graphics in the FeelThere version. The dimensions in the PMDG VC aren't correct (seats are too small, main panel is smaller than normal, and pilot seat doesn't sit directly in front of the yoke are among the few minor grips I've found :-)) Ariane has the best looking NG cockpit at the moment. The best and most accurate VC would be a combination of both Ariane and PMDG (both have strong points that would be great if combined)... Don't get me wrong here, PMDG's 737NG is a true pioneer and the reason we have products like Level-D's 767. The FeelThere model has a weathered look to it which I like (some don't). The displays look especially good at Dusk/Dawn as well as the night lighting. There's a freeware add-on that makes it look even better at night. The impressive info given from the avionics in the FeelThere bird has you being more of a pilot versus worrying about what the various textures look like. A dusk to night flight out of KLAS to KSAN has to be seen to understand what I'm saying here.Both birds are great but do to the framerate issue and more modern implementation of in cockpit features I'd take the FeelThere bird over PMDG's. PMDG will be working on a newer version in the distant future for FSX only. That alone will keep me with the FeelThere model until Microsoft releases Vista/DX10 (more so DX10). If the FSX patch improves FSX then I'll be eagerly awaiting PMDG's next NG. If the FSX patch proves to be a dud then FeelThere's bird will end up being the best of the bunch as far as FS9 is concerned.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest AOA

HiI share Dillion`s thoughts on the FT737I still miss the DF panel though as it had real charicter.Pete

"PMDG has all the displays linked to each other meaning both ND screens display the same info versus the ability to adjust each independently (I can't stress enough how this can hinder you situational awareness on approach)."Dillon, I am assuming you mean the pilot and co-pilot ND displays when you said this?? Do you have the 800/900 upgrade? It added TCAS display on the ND as well.

"Dillon, I am assuming you mean the pilot and co-pilot ND displays when you said this??Do you have the 800/900 upgrade? It added TCAS display on the ND as well."The ND screens are exactly what I meant... :-) As far as the 800/900 upgrade, in the FeelThere model you get everything in one price.

FS2020 

I own the PMDG 737 series (600-900) and the FT737 series (300-500). I love them both to death.The FT737 is mostly glass though. It's a mix of old and new, with the VSI and Altitude being analouge off the top of my head.The sound is well done and even has WX radar right on the HSI.FT 737 also has a frame rate tuner, and I find the frames to be the same as the PMDG. The PMDG does look a little nicer though.

I really don't think you'll regret it. Great to hand fly too.

>Don't get me wrong here, PMDG's 737NG is a true pioneer and the >reason we have products like Level-D's 767. I think you have it backwards there...767 Pilot in Command (for FS2000) pre-dated PMDG's first add-on for MSFS by a pretty long margin, and was the first really detailed airliner system simulation for MSFS. They're both great add-ons, but PMDG certainly did not lead the way for the Level-D crew...if anything it's the other way around.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Your right Bob and what's funny is me and Eric Ernst (MD80 First Officer American Airlines) spoke many times in the past. I used his panels years prior to 767PIC. I remember him telling us about it when it was in planning. He was the type of guys who would rather draw his panels versus using a photo image. 767PIC changed his mind though... What I was speaking about was the whole detailed VC concept combined with the external visual model. Yes 767PIC gave us the the beginnings but PMDG combined the best of everything and made one heck of a package. PSS's A320 series was first out the gate for FS2k2 but PMDG took things on a whole other level.Bob if memory serves me correctly Ready For Pushback pre-dated Wilco's 767PIC. Correct me if I'm wrong on this... :-)

FS2020 

I guess I'm in the minority, but the FT737 is very heavy feeling and not fun to fly. I also think the performance is bad as well. I took it off my system, but I kept the PMDG.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Not mentioned at all, but a really big difference between the FT & the PMDG is the docs. FT has virtually none, as is typical for FT, the PMDG has hundreds of pages.* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Guest paologi1

If anything the Feelthere 737 has made me appreciate the PMDG 737 even more. When a plane works as well as the PMDG one I realised I started taking things for granted until I got the Feelthere. To me automated flight is a major part of any serious airliner simulation and the PMDG 737 will follow a flight path both vertically and horizontally exactly as programmed. In comparison the Feelthere autopilot is almost amateuristic work as one can also tell from all the complaints on their forum. The VNAV is at best unreliable and the LNAV will give you unexpected and uncontrolled twists and turns. Not to mention that any significant change of heading during take off will result in a temporary dive. Just imagine the poor passengers! So in the end I do feel they are in a totally different league.Cheers,Paolo

well i bought it, and i've got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that i just flushed $43 away... mmmm. not sure what to think, the first thing that bugs me is the terrible pixelated texture/font or whatever they use for the digital engine readouts, man thats aweful, any patch or ?? something for that? ciao!Brian S

Ciao!