Sign in to follow this  
Guest macman4

scenery mesh and terrain mesh?

Guest macman4

What is the difference between the two? Thanks Bob

. . .don't think there is, Bob. The best place to gain good knowledge of this is on the FS Genesis site, but from what I know - "mesh" is the underlying structure of the land: I suppose that if one took a large sheet of chicken wire and placed it over a table that had a bunch of pegs of different lengths sticking up one would have something which you could call "mesh". It would be flattened where there was a desert, pushed upwards, to represent hills or mountains, etc., and pushed downwards for valleys, and so on. It's the kind of thing you do when you're making model railroad scenery, except you cover the chicken wire with papier mache, paint it, then stick trees and houses on it. "Landclass" is the classification of what type of scenery is supposed to be present on a particular chunk of the mesh, and the actual scenery is the visual representaion as provided by MS, BEV, GE, FE and any number of scenery developers. Is that a fair description? I hafta say I'm in no way very knowledgeable or expert- just what I've gleaned from these forums. Maybe someone else can "edify" us more?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Grab some freeware from FSgenesis.com.Guaranteed you'll love it. The mountain detail is superb!Try the 76 meter mesh of B.C. Canada. Five-Star.

Guest macman4

Thanks guys, that what i thought, that they are the same thing. I saw it on one web page as "scenery mesh" so i wasn't sure.I do have mesh of the USA and just downloaded some free mesh from FSGenesis. Thanks again, Bob

Guest tango papa

There are some scenery files that do have specific mesh texture created to cure problems with general mesh. It might be enhanced to create more detailed water features, or to fix problems with the flatten area around an airport. The landclass determines what type of vegetation is in the area based on climate, or to include urban areas.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

You have to be careful, because in some contexts "mesh" means the 3d geometry of any object. In FS the term "mesh" or "terrain mesh" commonly refers to ground surface elevation maps (x-y grids of elevation data) which are converted by the sim into ground surface terrain meshes. However, in 3d design tools such as GMax, you will also find the term"mesh" being used, and this could be for scenery or aircraft objectsgeometry.scott s..