Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Question for Do-27 users?

Guest aca_dia

After seeing all of the excellent reviews and opinions on this aircraft, I decided to give it a shot. I really like the aircraft itself, the effects, and the excellent VC. I am however really annoyed by the flight model. It handles like a brick and it is unable to forward slip. I have played with my settings, but I am about ready to give up. Have I missed something in this department, or am I just spoiled by the flight models of Steve Small & Rob Young?I am sure someone will ask this... no I have never flown a real Do-27. However I am referring to basic flight model issues, and not a by the numbers complaint specific to this aircraft.Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Perhaps there is an alternative air file out there?

A couple of things. Since I just dinged the prop, which is modeled, and I haven't yet figured the proceedure for repairs...I'm not able to test a forward slip at this time! :7 However, the best in modeled slips are kind of a specialty item; and it's one of those special items that a programmer takes a few years to figure out. It's just one of those RealAir specialties.Now back to the D0-27. Except for an engine fire & smoke problem, where I might want to keep the smoke blowing away from windscreen, so that I can somewhat see; I see no need for forward slips in this airplane. A forward slip is a method of loosing altitude fast, without a build up in airspeed.Yet, the reason of being for the Do-27, is short takeoff and landing capability (STOL). Thats what it was designed for, and is extremely capable of coming nearly straight down, without a buildup in airspeed. That's why it's leading edges and flaps are set up the way they are.Personally, I've had no problem whatsoever in handleing this aircraft, but have not compared it to actual numbers. I've just figured, that it's no speed demon! :)And for the record, I've not flown an actual D0-27, nor do I know actual forward slipping abilities of this aircraft. But the question would be, why do a forward slip........I guess.L.Adamson

Guest Pilot533

Actually I have a very hard time making this plane decend and not exceed flap overspeed limits with prop rpm at 2500.

I will confirm it does indeed do a forward slip - but I don't use a twist-type joystick. It needs lots of rudder, and I think rudder pedals and a control column may be what's needed. I found I could rarely get an aeroplane under proper control with a joystick, but after I built my own I found the precision that was missing. This aeroplane has a long fuselage - yaw stability, a high, thick wing - slow, good for loads, but - no dihedral! which gives roll instability. I don't like the way it's designed, but having flown dozens of R/C aircraft (40 years)and a good number of full size aerobatic small aircraft - it flies the way I expect it to. The thing I do like is that it's different, and a challenge. It can be flown (and taxyed!) under control, but it does take a firm, but precise hand. It needs to be "managed". Now spinning it. . . that's a different story. .

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

> This aeroplane has a long fuselage>- yaw stability, a high, thick wing - slow, good for loads,>but - no dihedral! Because it's a high wing, it makes up for no dihedral, stability wise.

Guest aca_dia

Thanks for the responses. I sure as hec can't get even a hint of a forward slip out of her. If I cross control the aircraft, with full rudder, and throttle at idle she will just stay level until she bleeds off almost all of her airspeed. If I force a decent cross controlled I gain airspeed and removing the rudder does nothing to change descent rate. BTW I am using CH pedals and not a twist stick.Too bad really as she makes a great bush aircraft and flaps or no flaps a good forward slip can me a major tool of the trade on certain approaches.

Mine is still in the scrap yard, due to a bent prop. I haven't yet figured how to get it to the repair hangar. Perhaps I'll never know if I can slip this thing or not! :( Any hints on repairs?L.Adamson

Larry,Hit Shift+6 and pull up the kneeboard (or click on the little clip light on the keyboard in the VC).Now, go to the very bottom tab, ensure that your parking brake is on also. Click on the maintenance message and make sure it is high lighted in yellow. At this point the maintenance will occur. You will the get a report finished message and the click on that. On the right bottom side of the clip board is a hot spot, that is the page down. Hit that and check repair prop. It may take some time, but the engine and prop will get repaired. If you hit Shift+8, you can go into the realism menu and switch on or off the realism mode. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions. BlakeP.S. My Dora slips very easily with my CH pedals. Very noticable on take off with 15 degrees of flaps. Ground handling is all differential braking with lots of rudder on take off.

Blake

Guest aca_dia

[q]P.S. My Dora slips very easily with my CH pedals. Very noticable on take off with 15 degrees of flaps. Ground handling is all differential braking with lots of rudder on take off.[/q]Again I am talking about a forward slip used for descent as opposed to a side slip used for runway alignment in a crosswind.My realism settings are maxed, my rudder pedals are well calibrated with every other aircraft, and when I step on the rudder I see a large amount of rudder travel in exterior view. However when I add full rudder I get minimal yawing response in flight under all conditions. Not even a hint of descent is caused by using normal forward slip procedures.Guess I will try some more tonight.

uh - sorry, no it doesn't fully make up, Larry. It may be more stable than most low-wing aircraft because of the "pendulum" effect, but compared to the number of high-wing aircraft that have 2, 3, 4 degrees of dihedral - this aircraft displays marked roll "neutrality". (I'll pull back somewhat with "instability"!) :-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest aca_dia

After another hour of testing I am pretty sure that part of the flight model is off kilter. I unable to generate any kind of forward slip and that is one thing, but I discovered another oddity. I can depart a runway with standard atmospheric conditions, immediately kick in full right rudder (and correct with ailerons to maintain a constant ground track), reduce power and prop to a reasonable climb setting, and trim for 60kts (or is it mph on that gauge?) The result is about a 500fpm or better climb! That is a hec of a good climb while in a configuration that is doing everything possible to make you drop like a rock.I know I am knit picking, but given some of the excellent flight models out there I have a hard time stepping back to a not so good one. This aircraft hits the mark in every other way and I wish it flew was well as it looked!

Blake,Thanks a lot! I printed your instructions, and all is well now. And I even switched OFF the realism mode, since it does not effect flight characteristics. I just don't like "mousing" around, to keep every control in check. Real planes are much easier in that respect. :)L.Adamson

I think it's best to ask these questions on the develper's forum. I'm sure they can confirm or explain the behavior.patAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I guess we have to do some more digging. I must confess I look for it's stall/spin characteristics, how well it slow-flies, and then how well it slips on approaches - when I "break in" a new kite. You've raised some interesting questions about an interesting aeroplane.

>After another hour of testing I am pretty sure that part of>the flight model is off kilter. I unable to generate any kind>of forward slip and that is one thing, but I discovered>another oddity. I can depart a runway with standard>atmospheric conditions, immediately kick in full right rudder>(and correct with ailerons to maintain a constant ground>track), reduce power and prop to a reasonable climb setting,>and trim for 60kts (or is it mph on that gauge?) The result>is about a 500fpm or better climb! That is a hec of a good>climb while in a configuration that is doing everything>possible to make you drop like a rock.Perhaps the real one could do it too! And perhaps not. :-hah Fact is, you have a slotted leading edge, and a very high lift wing. With power, who's to say that it can't overcome the drag. There are certainly other airplanes that can climb quite well with full flaps, while others don't have a chance.As to forward slips, I was able to do them, but with the same efficiency as the defaults. The simulated "slip" really is a RealAir specialty, and has been for quite some time. These "slips" have also required new programming for FS2004 & FSX. This particular plane, comes down so well with just flaps, that I don't even see a need for a slip. It's just like the newer Aviat Huskey's that advertise the effectiveness of flaps alone, and no need for slips in MOST cases. The Do-27 will easily come down at 1100fpm under 65 kias and 35 degrees of flap. Past this point, begins hurting "ears" anyway, let alone passenger discomfort. I even got it to come down at around 1500 fpm while staying within flap speeds.>>I know I am knit picking, but given some of the excellent>flight models out there I have a hard time stepping back to a>not so good one. This aircraft hits the mark in every other>way and I wish it flew was well as it looked!>FWIW, this model has an excellent feel of a STOL aircraft. It also feels heavy at the controls, in which the real one does. If we get on a kick of condeming aircraft because they don't slip as well, then you might as well start condeming most all of them, as well as most X-Plane models! Flight sim models are all "fake"! None are real!The majority of addon producers seem to specialize in different fields. The "slip and spin" is RealAirs "nitch". We can't expect all models to do everything the real one does! Besides, I'm still waiting for the perfect effect of using a constant speed prop's braking effect in the approach and landing phase when pushed to high rpm. To date, no models do this effectively.L.Adamson