Sign in to follow this  
Guest Catandra

Spool up time in Turbine aircraft

Guest Catandra

Hello allI was wondering if anyone knew of the way you can alter the cfg file to reduce the spool up time (lag time) for a turbine powered aircraft. I fly these for a living and its my humble opinion that the sim exaggerates the effect. That is to say, there is far too much delay between the application of power and the resulting thrust.I made this change a couple years ago but now I've forgotten what it was.I would appreciate any help.Thanksadmiraltysignaturepic.jpg

Guest SilverCircle

For jet (and probably turboprop) engines, fuel_flow_gain in the aircraft.cfg is the way to change the spool up times (higher values -> faster spool up).

Guest n9zn

This goes out to the both of you, for asking the question and for the answer.Thank you so much!This was a question I also have intended to ask for several weeks now.Monty

For FS and the limitations it has, it is going to be hard to simulate becasue the spool up time is not linear. It all depends on what N1 you are currently at when you initially apply power. I flew the conquest 1 and it idled at about 52%. If you jammed the throttle up quickly there was a huge lag for it to react. The King Air 100 idled at 60% bu the lag was minimal when compared to the conquest. Same goes with the 737. When at idle the is quite a lag to 40% but after 40% to take off thrust the lag drops off quite a bit.

Guest Catandra

Alex-Is that the same as Fuel_Flow_Scalar?Also, does anyone know if you can add parameters to the cfg file if they are missing? For instance, the Aeroworx King Air is missing the entire flight tuning portion of the cfg file. I'm wondering what would happen if you added all or part of one.Thanksadmiraltysignaturepic.jpg

fuel_flow_scalar controls fuel burn rate.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>Alex->>Is that the same as Fuel_Flow_Scalar?>>Also, does anyone know if you can add parameters to the cfg>file if they are missing? For instance, the Aeroworx King Air>is missing the entire flight tuning portion of the cfg file.>I'm wondering what would happen if you added all or part of>one.>>Thanks>Interesting question. I suggest you also ask in aeroworx forum. You should get an answer there.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

This is the one thing that's been bothering me about the DA Cheyenne: spool time. I just changed the fuel_flow_gain from .03 to .06 and what a difference! There's still a lag but now it seems much more controllable; especially when taxiing. Flight is much more controallable now also. What a great tip! :-jumpy Mike

>Is that the same as Fuel_Flow_Scalar?No.>Also, does anyone know if you can add parameters to the cfg>file if they are missing? For instance, the Aeroworx King Air>is missing the entire flight tuning portion of the cfg file.>I'm wondering what would happen if you added all or part of>one.Yes...flight tuning params are optional...if they're in there they override the defaults. You can add all, some, or none.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Catandra

Great. Thanks Bob. Just to clarify...do I understand that a new flight parameter will supercede that aspect of the plane rather than just adding to the value?What I mean by that, is that in the B200, there is no flight tuning section. But obviously, its written into the flight model. So if I add something like Fuel_Flow_Scalar (or whatever), will it replace the existing parameter or add to it?Thanks for your helpadmiraltysignaturepic.jpg

A better way to edit this would be to go into the air file and edit the 1505 table. I have had high success changing the curves in there to give me a realistic engine stabilization time, and a low spool up on the bottom end and a high spool-up rate at the high end.Here's what my table 1505 looks like for one of my projects. The pilots who've tested it (real type rated pilots) say the engine response time is excellent:1505.jpgThe X value is a time constant and the y value is the engine turbine speed (N2, HP stages). As you can see, the engine spools very slowly once the fuel is introduced, and stabilizes around 65% N1. Now, from around 65 to 85% N2, the spool rate is increasing gradually. By the high end of the N2 spectrum the engine response time is increasing exponentially. Once you get all those heavy turbines and that big fan at the front moving it's easier to get them moving even faster.

Guest dogknot

>>Alex->>Is that the same as Fuel_Flow_Scalar?>>Also, does anyone know if you can add parameters to the cfg>file if they are missing? For instance, the Aeroworx King Air>is missing the entire flight tuning portion of the cfg file.>I'm wondering what would happen if you added all or part of>one.>>ThanksMight want to try a re-download of your Aeroworx Super King Air B200. I've got all the flight tuning perimeters in my cfg copy. Plenty of tiny tweaks have been used and/or suggested along the way as well, most having to do with tuning the cfg perimeters. There is also a v2.1 and now a v2.2 update release as well.Thought you may want to know.

If you're tweaking on the .cfg then you're not doing it correctly. All these small tweaks and changes to the flight dynamics should be done in the .air file. Unless you're adjusting the load and balance or contact points.. very basic aircraft geometries, this all should be done in the .air file.

Guest dogknot

hmmm... well, since most of the data in the airfile is written to the aircraft.cfg, then the average joe would be better off doing a few known tweaks in the cfg since it (the aircraft.cfg) overwrites/amends, so to speak, the .air file where data is included in both. Otherwise, a successful tweak to the airfile would mean the user would have to eliminate the corresponding section in the cfg so a new cfg section could be written to the cfg and thus not override the airfile.Sometimes an airfile adjustment is absolutely necessary to get the correct dynamics; after that, most adjustments can be done satisfactorily via the aircraft.cfg.This may help clear up a bit of this long discussed discrepency:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search