Sign in to follow this  
Guest tango papa

Scenery Priority: What's on top, what's at the bottom?

Guest tango papa

I've seen several methods of setting up the structure for MS9 AddOn Scenery. But I'm not sure which is the more correct way of doing it.I keep all of my addons in a file outside of MS9, except for the one that have install programs directly into MS. To keep sceney organized, I just alphabetize the files. I've also transferred all the 38Mdem.bgl to the top of my addons, and then the scenery files. I'm just curious to see how others set things up. Thanks Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

I've always done it like this. I have mine all divided up by continent and run 4 or 5 differnet scenery.cfg files (one one active at a time).1. Leave all the MS default stuff/photo cities alone. 2. Mesh first. Add this. I just have all my meshes in one big folder called MESH, mostly 38m. Any other 19m higher def mesh I'll add over the top of this.3. Landclass next. Again one folder for all country wide LC files. Lump it all in. Separate out local city or regional LC files and add tham above the main LC folder if you want them to have priority.4. Last come all your aiport sceneries. Top of the scenery list (highest area number).

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hey TP; I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but it relates to top and bottom. I posted this about a week ago, in helping a guy with a similar issue, as I've often had trouble discerning just what a person was asking.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...62&topic_id=206Hope it helps,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thee have been some threads on FlyTampa, concerning scenery priority and planes bouncing while taxiing at FlyTampa KSEA.The recommendation is to place landclass and terrain scenery at a LOWER priority than the aerial scenery in the default scenerycities folders. I guess I can see the rationale for this.The problem is that many scenery addons can involve changes to different scenery elements, so it is difficult to apply a hard rule in ordering.scott s..

Guest fs2004josh
I've always done it like this. I have mine all divided up by continent and run 4 or 5 differnet scenery.cfg files (one one active at a time). 1. Leave all the MS default stuff/photo cities alone. 2. Mesh first. Add this. I just have all my meshes in one big folder called MESH, mostly 38m. Any other 19m higher def mesh I'll add over the top of this. 3. Landclass next. Again one folder for all country wide LC files. Lump it all in. Separate out local city or regional LC files and add tham above the main LC folder if you want them to have priority. 4. Last come all your aiport sceneries. Top of the scenery list (highest area number).
If I have FSGen landclass and mesh do I create a folder like you said called "MESH" and "Landclass" and install them in there? and it will show up in my scenery library?And if I install all of my airports, install them in the Add-on scenery folder?

Guest fs2004josh

I have FSGen mesh and landclass. If I create two seperate folders and I install them into each folder; one for mesh and one for landclass, will that install it correctly into the sim? will it show up in my scenery library? and do I install all of my airports into the add-on scenery folder?

I have FSGen mesh and landclass. If I create two seperate folders and I install them into each folder; one for mesh and one for landclass, will that install it correctly into the sim? will it show up in my scenery library? and do I install all of my airports into the add-on scenery folder?
Create 2 folders, one for Mesh and one for Landclass.Inside each of those folders put another folder named scenery.Put the .bgl files in the respective scenery folders.You will have to add them to the Scenery Library like any other scenery.Place the Landclass folder right above all the default folders in the Scenery Library.Keep the Mesh folder at the top of the Scenery Library unless you have AES, which has to be at the top. If so place the Mesh right below the AES.Where you store these folders on your computer does not matter, you will have to navigate to their location when you add them to the Scenery Library.It is not recommended to place all your addons into Addon Scenery\Scenery. It's too hard to manage like that and makes updating or troubleshooting almost impossible. Best to keep them all in individual folders with seperate entries in the Scenery Library.In regards to priority, unless an addon has specific instructions it doesn't really matter at what priority you place addons in the Scenery Library. FS will sort it out.The only time priority matters is when you have more than one entry for the same area. Those types of addons will usually have specific install instructions.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest fs2004josh

What if I have an auto install for an airport?

I like to install them to a temporary folder outside of FS to see what they change/add.Most freeware will let you do that. Some payware will not like that procedure, yet most of them can be trusted to do a clean install.In my temporary folder, named FS9 Dummy, I keep a copy of FS9.exe and a scenery.cfg. 99 times out of 100 this works.regards,Joe

sigbar.gif

Guest fs2004josh

thanks for the help

Guest simfan1

The mesh and landclass that Josh has posted cover entire regions. I do not see any reason to create two folders. The mesh and landclass will auto install in to the world/scenery folder. Does not make any sense to create two folders plus scenery folders in the mesh and landclass folders; it will mean that you will need to install the add-on airport two times (into the mesh and in the landclass folder). All you need to do is guide the airport install to the Add-on scenery folder. Make sure you organize it well when you do multiple installs. The mesh and landclass will auto install to the scenery/world folder....you do not have to do anything else.

The mesh and landclass will auto install in to the world/scenery folder.
I prefer not to install mesh into world\scenery for a couple reasons.1) there is no way to turn it off without un-installing it. I have some addons that I still use that look like dog dung with addon mesh. I also sometimes like to turn off mesh to test addons.2) there is a quirk in the way FS9 processes mesh. If you have an addon, with higher priority than world\scenery, with local mesh that is the same resolution as the highest resolution you have available in world\scenery FS will ignore it. These types of addons with local mesh (think Glacier Bay) look better with the mesh provided by the designer, though the differences may be hard to spot. For local mesh to display it has to be a lower priority than global mesh of the same resolution.I am not sure about the landclass as I do not have it, but I have always been told that addon landclass has to be above all the default scenery in the Scenery Library. Placing it in world\scenery would give it lower priority than the default landclass and FS would ignore it.
... it will mean that you will need to install the add-on airport two times (into the mesh and in the landclass folder).
Not sure what you mean by having to install addon airports twice, and to the mesh and landclass folders? I have never had to do that.On a personal note, putting your response in bold is the internet equivalent of yelling. Why are you yelling at me?All I am trying to do is help the guy with the knowledge I have obtained over the years.regards,Joe

sigbar.gif

Guest simfan1

I was not yelling at you. I have a habit texting in bold. He has mesh that covers the entire north america. He does not have individual mesh for individual airports. Since the mesh he is using, it would make sense for it to go into the world/scenery folder. When he is in his library he would than just locate his world/scenery and install it into his scenery library than selecting which priority he would like. In the case with the landclass which he also has for the entire U.S., he would do the samething. In the world/scenery folder there should be another folder for North America...if there is...mesh and landclass would be installed in there. Please correct me if I am wrong.