Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Is this texture file responsible for OUT OF MEMORY ?

I've been troubleshooting an OUT OF MEMORY error I get when flying the CoolSky Md-80 aircraft. I just discovered an empty TEXTURE folder inside my FS9 Addon Scenery folder. I've no idea why it's there or why I put it there or what it is associated with. I have several addon sceneries including a huge folder for Ultimate Traffic AI.Might this empty TEXTURE folder be causing the OUT OF MEMORY with my MD-80? Can an empty TEXTURE folder like this also cause crashes to desktop? I've had some of those recently as well, just out of the blue (no pun intended!), although I think i've solved that issue (hopefully).Appreciate any suggestions, info, etc., thanks.JS

I don't have any empty folders...the MD80 still eats my ram fast. Sorry to say but this discovery may not be the cure for all your problems.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Hmmm, that would be too bad.It is bizarre and unsettling how the -80 does chew RAM up and swallow it, isn't it? I just don't get it. So far, and sadly for me, nor does anybody else ! JS

>Might this empty TEXTURE folder be causing the OUT OF MEMORY>with my MD-80? In a word...yes. It's a well-known FS9 bug...an empty texture directory is going to cause FS9 to leak memory.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

>>Hmmm, that would be too bad.>>It is bizarre and unsettling how the -80 does chew RAM up and>swallow it, isn't it? I just don't get it. So far, and sadly>for me, nor does anybody else ! >>JSyup...nothing we can do about it though...glad I don't like MD80s much I can just forget about it.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Bob:Can I just safely delete such a folder without risking a crash elsewhere in the sim?JS

>>I've been troubleshooting an OUT OF MEMORY error I get when>flying the CoolSky Md-80 aircraft. I just discovered an empty>TEXTURE folder inside my FS9 Addon Scenery folder. I've no>idea why it's there or why I put it there or what it is>associated with. I have several addon sceneries including a>huge folder for Ultimate Traffic AI.>>Might this empty TEXTURE folder be causing the OUT OF MEMORY>with my MD-80? >>Can an empty TEXTURE folder like this also cause crashes to>desktop? I've had some of those recently as well, just out of>the blue (no pun intended!), although I think i've solved that>issue (hopefully).>>Appreciate any suggestions, info, etc., thanks.>>JSYes..yes..yes.I have the same issue. The MD-80. I moved it to FSX and I have been unable to fly it. I have one of those memory display program I have 2 Gigs. when I change over to the 2D I can see he memory utilzed go from 1.6G to 1.99 and then... pop up. Out of Memory.what I don; get is...what the heck is wrong with Win XP... Whats all tha bull about VM etc. F1 MD-80 consumes a lot of memory.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest austin5string

>>>Might this empty TEXTURE folder be causing the OUT OF MEMORY>>with my MD-80? >>In a word...yes. It's a well-known FS9 bug...an empty texture>directory is going to cause FS9 to leak memory.>>Regards>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V>Santiago de ChileYou're kidding right? The default install of FS9 includes an empty texture directory in Addon Scenery, doesn't it? And I've never had any issues at all from it.~John

>>Bob:>>Can I just safely delete such a folder without risking a crash>elsewhere in the sim?>>JSYes...not only can you delete it, but you should delete (or rename) it.Of course there may be an ugly memory leak issue in the panel code as well. From the others with the same problem I'd guess there's more going on.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

The empty texture directory issue, as far as I know, is only an FS9 thing. If you're having troubles in FSX it's probably something else.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

>You're kidding right? The default install of FS9 includes an>empty texture directory in Addon Scenery, doesn't it? And>I've never had any issues at all from it.No, not kidding. Do some searching on the various sim forums and you'll find a long rabbit trail.If you fly relatively short flights (i.e. 2 hrs or less), and don't load up with other add-ons, you can leak memory for hours and never see the problem. But try it with a complex add-on like the PMDG on an 8-hr flight, and you'll see the problem.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

>You're kidding right? No, he isn't.It's indeed an FS9 bug. Empty texture folders can cause troubles

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Sorry, but from the dialogue above, I am still not clear about this empty TEXTURE folder in FS9: can I safely delete it or not?Thanks!JS

JS,You stated that you had an empty texture folder in Addon Scenery. I presume this is a stand alone texture folder that would normally go with a stand alone scenery folder in addon scenery. I have both in my addon scenery folder along with named addon scenery folders. Both the stand alone scenery and texture folders have contents.Now each named addon scenery folder can also contain a scenery folder with files along with a texture folder with .bmp files. I also have named addon scenery folders with ONLY a scenery folder. Textures that make those sceneries work are contained in the stand alone Texture folder.The empty texture folders that I have found in my sim were empty texture folders within named addon scenery folders. I have deleted those folders.You hesitate to delete it. Ask yourself what you are deleting? Nothing correct. If you want, I suppose you could move it to documents and keep it there until you convince yourself that it is ok.Daryll

OK, Daryll, that was in fact my exact thought--I just needed somebody with more experience than myself to validate it! I shall try this shortly and see if any diff.Thanks for your post.JS