Sign in to follow this  

Downloads not working at all.

I had some luck on Saturday afternoon...could get 1 out of 5 file downloads to work, but early this morning (11/05/06, 0300 MST) I can't get a single file to download at all. As I mentioned, it was working somewhat yesterday and I have changed nothing...is the file server having issues?

Guest Philip Olson

I have not had any problems at all. Could you please tell us a little more about what is and is not happening once you press the download button. I was going to ask if you changed anything on your system but you say you have not. I will ask if anything on your computer was automatically updated, Windows Update, any type of anti-virus software, firewall, pop up blockers, anti-spyware? There can be times where an update to one of these programs will break something or the update will change a setting slightly causing a change that could cause problems. Thanks and good luck!Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

No issues with the servers. Everything ok now?

Nope...still can't get any files. I noticed the problem while trying to download from links at the Bush Flying Unlimited site. I click the link which brings me to the appropriate Avsim file page immediately, but when I click on "Download", I get the download page immediately but the file never starts. The IE progress bar moves but the file download Window ("Save it / Open it")never appears. I tried downloading directly from Avsim, instead of linking from BFU...nothing. I tried clicking the "If your download doesn't start..." text, for the FTP...nothing. As I said, it was barely working Saturday...maybe 1 out of 5 would start downloading...now nothing. I never allow any auto-updates of anything on my XP system...MS taught me that hard lesson years ago ;-). I have not performed any manual updates in the time this started. The fact that it was working, if only barely, yesterday is what's confusing...it didn't just "stop", it was borderline first, then completely stopped working. I have all the recommended URL's for Avsim in my trusted sites, that didn't help. I haven't changed any settings on my Trend-Micro AV/Firewall but I'm going to try something...I have to close IE for it to take effect...back in a minute.(EDIT) I tried completely shutting down my AV/Firewall (why that should matter only at Avsim doesn't make sense, but...), it still will not start a download. I wait until the IE error massage comes up about the "site not found". I'm totally lost as Avsim is the only site that is presenting this problem? I've been downloading stuff, without problem, everywhere else? Just plain WEIRD.

Sometimes I go for a file advertised on the home page and after clicking on the url I get 'File not found'?

Dave Taylor gb.png

No luck again today. I did a search in the file library at that "other" site...found a few Bush Flying Unlimited files which downloaded immediately. That's not meant as a "complaint" or comparison in any way...just a re-affirmation that my download capabilities are working at other sites. I also checked my personal FTP site and had no problems there. I'm really stumped on this one, gang. Vic

OK, OK (yipee!) found the problem. Went back and re-read the FAQ, very slowly, this time, and read the bit about IE setting to use "passive FTP". I've never touched the setting before so I probably went right by it's mention when this problem started. I checked the box and, VOILA! The usual quick and painless file downloads are back! I have no clue why this setting was changed...or if it's always been "unchecked" but just started causing a problem in the last few days? That seems unlikely but, it's working as it used to so I'm happy. Windows should come with Gremlin repellant! LOL. Vic