Sign in to follow this  
Guest reggiemental

New to FS9 - Advice please for add-ons

Guest reggiemental

Hi all,Having just upgraded from FS2000 to 2004 I wondered if anyone could share their thoughts on what are the 'must-haves' re: add-ons?My level of expertise is not too high - I can navigate using VOR and manage ILS approaches etc., but don't have the time to really get stuck in and learn IFR inside out. I want to learn as I go along. I also don't have the confidence, or ability as yet, to take full advantage of virtual ATC. I also quite like the idea of joining a virtual airline as there is a positive purpose to each flight. Based on the above points, where would you recommend I start as for enhancing the FS9 experience? For instance, I've seen CoPilot V3 by Blue Arrow TS and I think this may help me navigate a little easier, while I try to learn the other main aspects. Would you recommend this product? I'm sure I read somewhere that many of the VA's don't accept your flight if GPS has been used. Can anyone throw any light on this? I forgot to mention, I enjoy fying the larger jets.Are all the best products payware, or are there any freeware add-ons you think I should also be looking at?TIA for any suggestions.

Must haves would be:Visual Enhancement - Activesky - for stunning real world weather (pay)Ultimate Terrain - for correct coastlines, road, rail, night lighting (pay)Ground Environment Pro - for superior ground textures (pay)Real Environment Pro - for beautiful sky and water colours (free)Aircraft - For starters, I'd say get the PMDG 600/700 series (pay). Learn to fly these small 737 jets with correct systems and Nav procedures, then move up to larger jets like LevelD767. The little 737 is a good platform to learn from, so are ther smaller CRJ's etc but the larger jets all use the same principles.Before joining a VA, maybe take the time to learn Vatsim ATC procedures (free) and do a few small online flights to get your confidence up.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest reggiemental

Excellent Max!That's just the sort of information I needed. I was just on the Vatsim site when your msg. arrived and I agree, it's worth a read before venturing out.Thanks again, much appreciated.Paul

Guest jtek

I second ActiveSky. I haven't purchased many add-ons, but that is one of the few I would consider "must-have". The other one is Radar Contact, for IFR air traffic control. I can't imagine ever flying again without these two guys. In fact, I've been using them so long I'm not sure how I ever enjoyed Flight Sim in the first place without them.