Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tinfish

AVSIM act against flight-simmers using copyright music...

Guest Tinfish

............Hi all.Avsim video forum has been hastily taken offline.This is probably related to one of my flightsimvideos which was removed by Tom Allensworth (admin).At last it seems that I've got fair justice for all on this issue (the enclosed post to Tom explainsthings a little better. I couldnt post it to him onthe forum as its either down or gone for good).Note to admin: Has the video forum gone for good?If so, Avsim.com are clearly taking a stand againstflightsim video-makers using music clips from their own CDs etc to put into their flight videos. May Itherefore give news of this ground-breaking event tothe press and media? ("YouTube do it", "Google Videosdo it", "everyone does it!" But Avsim.com will nothost any members' flight video (links) which include copyright rock or pop music in the soundtrack").Info enclosed. (Note: Avsim werent even hosting actualvideos. Only links to videos)Best regards. Tinfish CC: Avsim HQ -------Tinfish wrote:Tom.As Chuck rightly said in his post, "if we are to startpolicing policies (against flight-simmers using copyrightmusic in their own flight videos), we need to make sure that they are applied to all". (i.e. not just to one videomade by one person, i.e. Tinfish)Your actions Tom dont seem to make any sense. You obviouslymade an error of judgement when you deleted my video and nowyou will not back up your argument.The right thing to do now is to either re-post my flight video, or else to delete all my videos and all membersvideos using commercial content. What puzzles me is why you deleted just one of myvideo links but left all the my others video links - and allthe other members video links - still on the video forum.You never did explain that one. Now you've got usall puzzled, including FlyHalf and Chuck, etc.Tinfish - :)---

Guest neslesman

Why don't you at least wait for a response from Admin before copying your dirty laundry over the Internet? I don't care what the issue is, it might be a good one but at least wait until you have a cause before you start this kind of action.It's not very good form in my opinion to negotiate or discuss in public what should and could be done in private first.

>using music clips from their own CDs etc to put into >their flight videos.in the US you cannot 'redistribute' music (even for no gain). you have the right to listen to the music, the distribution company (and maybe) the artist owns the music.in my work the issue of music came up as part of an educational project on a university. legal council stated that no more than 29 seconds of an artist's work could be used without explicit release from the copyright holder(s). many of the student projects were rejected because more than 29 seconds were used without releases(yes, i and other committee members were literally holding a stopwatch and timing soundtrack starts and stops; and we did have one group of students get a release from a band).avsim's posting of the links could be construded as supporting the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. with history that the music industry has in protecting its interests, and if avsim removed the forum because of video soundtracks, avsim made a very wise and proper choice. and, i wonder how youtube, and other similar sites, have avoided the copyright issue(s).--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Last year on a trip, a group of us were drinking some morning coffee when a Mormon came up and asked me not to drink it on his property. Why did he come to me instead of anyone else? I don't know. Maybe because I have a big fat mouth? Anyway, instead of just leaving, I stood their and argued how twisted and wrong his request and his belief in God was right infront of his family and neighbor. We were kicked out of there and I was ever since known as the biggest jacka$$ among my friends.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest CharlesHM

I am wondering why this is not taken up privately with AVSIM directly and allow Tom and/or his staff to respond? Charles Huckelbery

Guest Tinfish

>I am wondering why this is not taken up privately with AVSIM>directly and allow Tom and/or his staff to respond? >>Charles Huckelbery-----------------------Hi Charles.Perhaps I should have explained that this issue has beendragging on now for several days, with messages beingposted on the (ex) video forum by all concerned, includingAvsim high command. The bottom line being that Tom simply never responded to my questions (as outlined in my previous post).Other Avsim members, including Chuck also chipped in on mybehalf over the past few days...but the stonewall was already up.So I trust you can appreciate my frustration with the way Tom and Avsim have handled this important matter.Best.Tin

Guest Tinfish

>Why don't you at least wait for a response from Admin before>copying your dirty laundry over the Internet? -------------Fair point, but this whole issue has beendragging on now for several days.Rgds.Tin--

Guest Tinfish

D.S. wrote:>...if avsim removed the forum because of video soundtracks, avsim made a very wise and proper choice.and, i wonder how youtube, and other similar sites,have avoided the copyright issue(s).<-------------Hi D.S.The thing is, Avsim hasnt been following its own policy on copyright. My flight videos, and many others, have beenfeatured on Avsim vid forum for years. When Tom removedjust one of my flight videos the other day, there werestill a dozen others of mine featured on the site. Tom didntbother to delete those or any other members videos.Truth be told, Avsim were panicked into pulling the video site(or the offending videos) simply because I took a stand againstthe way I'd been singled out by Avsim and had one video removed. There are plenty other forums out there.Several members have already remarked to me on how rigid Avsimpolicies and attitudes are in this respect, and this coupledwith the awful antiquated forum website layout leaves me feeling no great loss if the video forum has indeed gone.I dont like having to voice these details and actions onthe forum in this way, but there is a principle at stake, and the stonewalling on this issue by Avsim just addsto the problem.Thanks for reading.Tin--

Guest Tinfish

>"I stood their and argued how twisted>and wrong his request and his belief >in God was right infront of his family and neighbor. >>We were kicked out of there and I was ever since known as the>biggest jacka$$ among my friends.>>Jason========================'Son. Sometimes you just got to stand up and becounted despite what other people think.' Was that John Wayne or John Cleese? I cant recall - :)---

Tin,In my reply I had asked Avsim Mods a question. According to their own policies, use of copyrighted material was forbidden unless you had written permission of the author.Did anyone contact you to verify if you had rights to use the material in question or was it just chopped?I have no problem with Avsim standing up and looking after their legal interests, however if they did not ensure that their actions were warranted, then it would be bad form on their part.All of this is purely academic anyways. This is a private forum owned and paid for by them. They can do as they wish and we have little choice but to accept the fact that we are mere guests here.Nuff of this, I'm going flying!:-wave ChuckCYXU

Guest CharlesHM

Tin:I can understand your frustration, sure. I also know that Tom and AVSIM staff have real jobs also and cannot devote to AVSIM full time either. Also, Tom and AVSIM can also set there own rules for access and posting here. I hope this resolve themselves and you continue to participate in this great hobby we have.Charles Huckelbery

Guest Tinfish

>Tin,>Did anyone contact you to verify if you had rights to use the>material in question or was it just chopped?>Chuck>CYXU=============================Hi Chuck.Nope. I wasnt informed or asked anything by Avsim. One day my video was on the forum, the next day there was a notice from Tom saying it had been removed for copyright violation.As you rightly say, Avsim can do what they want. But they must also avoid creating waves if theydont wish to be snubbed by the wider flightsim communityand be labelled as a 'high and mighty' outfit rocking the boat.This kinda reputation will get around, I fear.Best regards .... and happy flying.Tin--

I am at work... I have a job, a life and a demanding job, and I haven't had time to screw around explaining things to you. I don't owe you a response within your schedule or limits of patience. Your posting of the link again, because I haven't responded tells me everything I need to know about your attitude.The forum was shut down to give me time to clean it out of the previous links you have posted. In fact, I am at a point where I may well leave the forum shut down entirely, just because folks like you think they have a god given right to violate our policies and copyright law. When you pay for our lawyer, you can have all the video link posted here that you want. Until then, you abide by our policy.There is no discussion on this; violate copyright and you are out of here. And now this thread is locked. Bring it up again, and you will be shown the door.