Sign in to follow this  
jerryuscg

Is it legal?

If you BUY a aircraft and it does not have a GPS or one that you are use to, is it legal to add one for your own personal use? Can you make it available for others to use if it ( the amended panel) is offered FREE and no cost involved? jerry

my opinion (and yes it seems because of other discussions the copyright 'cat is out of the bag'):* personal use - yes (but, some EULAs state you cannot modify the product in any way ... and another but, who would know you did this change unless you share the edit or explain how it can be done?)* unless you get permission from the copyright holder you cannot share the mod. (and sharing the mod without personal gain is not protection.)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

>If you BUY a aircraft and it does not have a GPS or one that>you are use to, is it legal to add one for your own personal>use? Can you make it available for others to use if it ( the>amended panel) is offered FREE and no cost involved? jerryYou certainly can, as long as you're not including some part of the copyrighted panel as part of your distribution. So if you've modded a bitmap, for example, you can't include that bitmap in your distribution. What you can do, though, is get a program like PatchMaker and create a patch executable that takes the original bitmap and modifies it. Since you're not actually including the copyrighted bitmap, and the mod can only be done if the user already has the copyrighted bitmap, then no foul.The other option is a simple set of instructions, i.e. change these lines in the panel.cfg to...CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think adding GPS and sharing panel config files the way you described is perfectly legal . RealityXP users do that all the time, for example.However, something thing to remember is that developers normally don't like their guages to be pulled out and put into another plane. Those who really care make it so you can't do it. If i'm wrong please don't quote me. See how wild these "legal or not" threads go around here.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest christian

well, legally, this is a grey area - the whole area of 3rd party addons is. BUT:If you create an addon for a 3rd party addon, can the creators of the 3rd party addon turn on you, when their product is also just an addon? As long as you abide to common sense and copyrights (ie don't distribute original content), there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to distribute a 3rd party addon for a 3rd party addon (ie a 2nd generation 3rd party addon so to speak).Distributing modified bitmaps is another grey area. Lots of people distribute modified original FS content (although stricly speaking this may not be permitted, but is common practice anyway). Again I would call on common sense. Dou you need to modify an orginal bitmap to fit your GPS in, but the main work is really your GPS which is fully original? In that sort of case it should be fine to distribute your modified bitmap. It really depends on how heavily modified the content is and how central it is to your work (is the main work original).In case of doubt I'd just get permission of the original author in writing. In any case this is just additional advertising so most developers won't knock you back.Cheers,Christian

I am pretty sure you can distribute the panel.cfg file but no actual modified artwork or model

Guest SilverCircle

>I am pretty sure you can distribute the panel.cfg file but no>actual modified artwork or modelIn theory, the panel.cfg is no less copyrighted than any other creation in the product. Most developers just tolerate "mods", some even authorize and offer them for download on their own page. Despite this, I would not assume an implicit "ok" to distribute a modified panel.cfg of a payware product without asking for permission first.There is, however, one problem with user mods and it is support related: When people report bugs or problems, they often fail to state that they are using a modified panel/aircraft/whatever .cfg. This may create difficulties in locating the problem, or the problem may even be fully triggered by the modification.