Sign in to follow this  
mnmon

HJG DC8

Don't know why I never looked into their work before, but the ad on the front page yesterday made me go over to HJG and download one of their DC8 versions (DC8-62, UAL late 60's livery). You really have to know how to do a complete manual install of base packages, liveries, sound and panels, but WOW! And for FREE! :-jumpy It isn't as complete in terms of systems like the FDZ Connie, but very well done. I especially like the dialog between the cockpit and the ground crew...nice touch. The flight model is as good as any payware. This is a big jet and handles accordingly. So, if you are tired of programming FMC's and then staring at the screen while the computer flies the plane and would like to try a "manly" airplane ;-), give it a shot. Mike

HJG's latest release of the Boeing 707 (version 6) is also excellent. I downloaded the 320c model and several of the many available liveries. I also grabbed their updated panel. I flew KC-135A's in the 70's and these flight models are quite good. No FMC's, no GPS, and no autothrottle. The autopilot is quite basic, just like the real aircraft of that period. It does have an inertial guidance system which can be linked to the NAV function of the autopilot. I had no problem with frame rates on my mid-level system.There's no VC, but the 2d panel is very good for IFR flights. It's a handful to land and it's best to have plenty of runway, but this is realistic for this type of aircraft.Dale

Dale