Sign in to follow this  
Guest KemoF15

New Airbus Cockpit Shot

In truth, the autopilot in the Richard Probst 737/727 panels will also intercept from above in the MAN GS mode.DJ

Guest KemoF15

Good commentsAfter a couple more days of flying--I'm really enjoying the platform--I was able to isolate the tape rollback and thrust increase to Active Sky V 6.5 in the options section--it will either allow or not allow icing--I deselected that option and have had no rollback--like the GS intercept from above issue--an artificiality of FS--though most aircraft will not allow GS intercept in APPR mode from above (a dot above sticks in my mind)when it requires greater than 3.5 degrees or 800fpm plus to re-intercept--that may vary by aircraft--there's something in FAR Part 121 I believe on that subject.On the power/autopilot issue, the handbook recommends "speed dialing" this to a button on the joystick or throttle quadrant--the registered version of FSUIPC allows assigning both TOGA and autopilot to respective buttons on the throttle/joystick (FS can do this as well--but FSUIPC gives you many more options)--I highly recommend doing this--I've been dialing in intermediate level offs and use a combination TOGA deselection and power management from MCT to CL mode (you can hear the throttle detent activating--and get an ECAM message)--simply bug the altitude--autothrust (throttle detent back into CL). I find you still have to "hand massage" an early level off right after takeoff--but this is not atypical from real-world flying. In the descent, the way in which the system manages power almost seems counterintuitive--from my experience in fighters, if you wanted to lose altitude and speed, you pulled throttles to idle and extended the speed brakes--in the Airbus (at least in this model), you need to leave your throttles parked at a detent and then pop the speedbrakes if you're in a managed descent. I haven't figured out a system (VNAV)descent--I simply dial down the alt bug on the MCP and set a corresponding descent rate (I do miss the computed level off green arcfrom the NG73s)--got to do the math.On the Localizer front--system still lags the intercept turn a bit--though on speed (@180kts) and within 30 degrees--the overshoot is not too bad--many pilots like to lead turn the localizer a tad anyway with the heading bug/or hand fly to localizer intercept then select APPR mode for GS capture. If ATC is giving you a greater than 30 degree intercept, you'll need to use a lead radial intercept.Still haven't cracked the code on FSplan import--if someone out there has, please share. I don't mind hand jamming it in--I just jot down the FSbuild routing and plug it into the FMGC--then I save the route in the stored route section for future use. Once the route is stored, you can recall it like the PMDG in the CO RTE line. I really like the depature/arrival selection--easy access to lots of data (based on AIRAC--in this case still 610).Here's a shot of the United A319 livery climbing out from KORD. My opinion only, but this jet is a KEEPER. Cheers--RakeUALbus.jpg

Sorry Paul, didn't mean to overlook your and others excellent AP work, just pointing out the sim limitation absent your work:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest alexm

Thanks for your post Rake,a few things I've noticed, wanted to see if you've come across them with your tests.- FPS: for me is very good, locked at 25 with all sliders maxed (which is my normal results with LDS, PMDG etc) - I have a marked frame rate drop (to the tune of 6-10fps) when using Arc mode on the Nav display only (no drop in any other display mode), do you have any frame rate jumps/stutters that you've experienced?- Managed Descents - I noted that you mentioned VNAV (airbus-speak 'managed') issues. I have yet to fly a successful approach with full managed descent, i.e. speed/altitude constraints that the a/p adheres to. I think this feature is a bit hosed at the moment and needs attention.- I agree with your analysis on LOC intercept, it isnt great but it still is functional. As you say if you lead into the turn when the Loc becomes active there doesnt seem to be any trouble on the intercept. A straight intercept from 30 degrees is a bit fudgy at the moment, but is not a killer for me (especially as I normally hand-dial loc intercepts anyway then fly manually from G/S active as long as vis permits)- speed control seems to be a bit of a 'bug' at the moment, with the spoilers being fairly ineffectual. I have read that in particular the 319 has a bit of trouble losing speed and alt at the same time (a la the 737 funnily enough) but not sure if that is what FT are deliberately trying to model?Anyway, good to hear your points, take careAlex

Guest alexm

Hi Tord,thanks for your input. I've been using the FS9 Deluxe version of the bird as I havent yet stepped up to FSX.Im well aware of the airbus logic and can assure you I'm not treating my new acquisition like a Boeing :). My experience with managed descents has been exactly as illustrated by this poster at the FT forum: http://www.iemit.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6900I.e alt constraints entered via the FMGC, T/D is inaccurately calculated, waypoints between alt constraints inaccurately list fp cruise alt (may be confusing the way Im describing this, but...) consider the LAM3A arrival into Heathrow, the alt constraints as entered in the FMGC are FL 250 at Logan, FL150 at Saber, and I also enter FL80 for the final fix at LAM for the hold. If left alone, everytime I have flown this arrival the FMGC will display a crossing alt for point Tripo (in between Logan and Saber on the arrival) at the initial cruise altitude for the trip. Like I said, a bit of a convoluted explanation but happens without fail on each trip I have done. Perhaps this is an issue that only affects the FS9 version of this a/c.anyway, thanks again for your comments, very nice to hear other users experiencestake careAlex

Ah, I see. I thought you had problems with the managed modes. Well, let

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest KemoF15

Thanks Tord/AlexI'm only using it in FS9 and 2D mode--can't comment on FSX or VC versions. As for an FPS drop, there is a slight hit with ARC selected--though not significant in my view.I haven't attempted an APPROACH PHASE yet but will follow your comments Tord.Would like to hear from any real world airbus drivers on any techniques and procedures.Waiting for more liveries and FT AIRAC update.Happy Flying!CheersRake

Guest KemoF15

From the posts above--this might help the decel issue:Thanks to Dutch64:"Agree, fde is pretty nice, Like I've written in another post, edit in the air file the cd_ds value to 0.13 and the speed brakes have a better effect. I also adjusted the parasite drag to 1.12 to make the plane slightly less slippery together with a thrust_scalar of 0.96 to make it less overpowered.Just a do-it-yourself patch till the first sp comes out (This is for the 320, didn't experiment with others yet)"CheersMartinPlease add more hints/techniques as you discover them--Rake

Guest alexm

Hey Rake,check out the following website: http://www.airbusdriver.net/Is written by a US airways training captain and has some really interesting articles on bus procedures/features, is very useful In particular, take a look at Eric Parks Airbus notes in the 'Online' tab (here's a direct link: http://www.airbusdriver.net/AirbusNotes.doc). It is a great 120-page manual/guide to the Bus systems/features. It is fairly weighty :) but has assisted me a lot with understanding the features simulated in the old PSS bus and the new FT offering.take careAlex

Guest KemoF15

Thanks Alex...will check it out...Rake

Guest KemoF15

Some great info from Eric Parks (thanks Alex) on AUTOTHRUST:Autothrust (PH 14.1.12)If you don

>Very informative VC shot. Thanks.>>Anyone besides me notice that it puts the nail in the coffin>regarding the so-called "copywrite issue" of the center>panel's graphics?>>Obviously, my "WIP theory" about the website's preview>screenshots has been validated... ;) Well, the screenshot in this post is a 2D cockpit shot. The VC (still) contains the copyrighted photo as texture. :( As a photographer and someone still striving to get a quality shot up on Airliners.Net, I'd be pretty *#&*@ off if one of my photos ended up a texture in an addon without my permission. >I doubt that it is a limitation, and even if it is, good>devlopers find ways to get around these limitations. Seems>from the post that the bad is right now outweighing the good. >There is just not enough attention to the small (and even many>large) details.http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k174/Pil...custbanner1.jpgGee - what a shocking opinion for someone with that banner floating below their post. :) I *must* disclose that I am really looking forward to the AirlinerXP offering as well, but I just had to comment - sometimes a signature banner is all that needs to be posted.

>The VC (still) contains the copyrighted photo as texture. :( As a>photographer and someone still striving to get a quality shot>up on Airliners.Net, I'd be pretty *#&*@ off if one of my>photos ended up a texture in an addon without my permission.greggerm:get your facts straight -http://www.iemit.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6891(see the 10th post in this thread, dated: 02/03/2007 : 01:57:30)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

That's a good thing!I hadn't seen it posted here that they had permission, so to that end, bravo. Of course, the photo is STILL copyrighted. :) and I'd STILL be ^@^# off if it was my photo used without permission. But the fact they did get the proper permission to use it is a very good thing, and this needs to be posted here a little louder - just in case.