Sign in to follow this  
calypso

Project Fokker F28 released!

My pleasure Al. Project Fokker deserve all the congratulations they will undoubtedly get.It's been a very long time since I have been able to install an aircraft and fly it "out of the box" with no problems cropping up.Few aircraft have that certain something that make you feel you are flying and not just staring at a computer screen. The F28 certainly has it.

John

Yes - this is a beautiful FREE add-on. Thank you Project Fokker!

Graeme Butler

Not all of us care about a VC, but good>framerates are appreciated. Thankyou, Project Fokker!>>DaleWell, owning a TrackIR4 makes you critical of anything that dosen't have a vc view.I tried it and like the Fokker 100/70 it's a masterpiece but, why of why not finish it off with a VC?That, would qualify it as payware but, long live freeware.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Peter Sidoli

I have not posted in the forums for some time but feel I have to make a comment here.The VC is an integral part of FS nowadays. Many have left the old 2D panels behind and prefer the more immersive invironment of the VC.I see no reason for not asking where the VC is regardless of whether this is freeware or not especially as the authors of this aircraft have such a fine reputation for quality in their previous offerings.I havent downloaded the F28 but will do as I did download their previous aircraft which were superb.I also ask the question" why not go the extra mile and add a stunning VC as well" ?Peter

Project Fokker's site refers to there being "no VC in version 1".Maybe in later versions?

John

"Project Fokker's site refers to there being "no VC in version 1". Maybe in later versions?"That's what they said about there previous releases (F-100, F-70) but still no VC. I would love the fly the F-28 in VC mode with TrackIR.Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Hey John, Just curious.. how did you select "Calypso" as your 'stage name"? I've been a pan player for years and wonder if you are also...

Nothing as artistic as that I'm afraid.I was born and bred in Malta. Small sister island (Gozo) is known as the isle of Calypso (referred to in Homer's Odyssey). Jaques Cousteau's first ship was an ex-Malta-Gozo ferry which he renamed the Calypso.

John

>Nothing as artistic as that I'm afraid.>>I was born and bred in Malta. Small sister island (Gozo) is>known as the isle of Calypso (referred to in Homer's Odyssey).>Jaques Cousteau's first ship was an ex-Malta-Gozo ferry which>he renamed the Calypso.>Wow! I'm half Maltese. My father was born in Birkikara and his in Zejtun :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hey John,That's really interesting..the isle of Calypso. I've forgotten whatever Homer I ever read way back when. I do play calypso in a couple steel bands.. and now you have gotten me interested in YOUR calypso..so--The Odyssey would be perfect at this time..And although I knew Cousteau's first ship was Calypso I had no idea of its history..It is a small world.And the Fokker 28 is FANTASTIC!

>>too bad they still haven't mastered the fine art of>crafting>>the VC...it would make the Fokkers master pieces.. >>It is rare for me to feel the need to 'pass comment on the>comments' of my fellow Avsim members, but I really feel the>need to state my utter amazement at need to post apparent>'disappointment at the lack of a VC' from some members.>>I am cursing myself at adding to what will no doubt turn into>a flame war, but it is a mystery to me how anyone can make ANY>kind of negative comment about this FREE release. And yes, a>'disappointment' does constitute a 'negative' comment for me.>>How does the inclusion of a VC in 'other' first rate freeware>releases, dictate that THIS freeware release should also>include a VC?! If there are a set of guidelines, or as some>would seem to think, RULES - that freeware developers should>work to, please give me a link?! I would be particularly>interested in the paragraph that states - 'thou shalt include>a fully functional virtual cockpit, for fear that thou shalt>deny the expectations of the flight simulation community'.>>Furthermore, what evidence (and I really look forward to the>reply here) is there that the PF team have not 'mastered the>fine art of crafting the VC'?!!! I have never crafted a>coffee table, but are we to assume that I lack the skills to>do so with confidence and success?!!!>>Of course, as members of the free world, we can all state our>opinions, disappointments, and so on. But IF I felt as some>people do about the 'lack' of a VC in this release, I would>have kept it to myself, rather than illustrating how>ungracious I am.>>Also, I would draw attention to the following line from the>Project Fokker website...>>"Where are the FMC and VC?>The real F28 does not have an FMC. This v1 base package does>not include a VC.">>V1, does not include a VC. Perhaps our disappointed friends>will be as happy as the rest of us, with the release of V2 or>V3?! Which, I have no doubt, will be FREE updates.>>I am frankly shocked at the retort to John's reply, ref his>sex life?! It pains me that anyone on these forums, where we>are all supposed to share a common hobby, would make such>statements.>>John, thank you for initiating this post on the Project Fokker>release, and I am glad we are all enjoying it! (And may I say>that I have not forgotten your help with the FFS Saab VC>issue! Eternally grateful!)>>Regards,>>Al.Al, I don't know you personally but must confess to the exact same feelings that you've expressed here. I would like to join the others here in congratulating PF for a very fine freeware package:-)Like most here, I started this hobby and learned the ropes on some very fine freeware by some very fine freeware authors and very much remember when we would have all gone nuts with a project of this quality:-) Guess it shows how the "community" has changed when users are disapointed with the fine gift of someones hard work because they "wanted more".:-(As one who knows the workload and self sacrifice involved in a project like this I commend the authors and those who are gentlemen enough to appreciate a gift.How much better to...in the words of Jack Nickelson in a Few Good Men..."Just say thanks and be on your way":-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest PARADISE

I just wanted to add my name to the list of the people that are very pleased with your work. I find it amusing that your freeware is getting far better reviews in these threads than the payware aircraft that was released at about the same time. Seems like you guys could have charged for yours and the "other guys" should have gone the freeware route. You still would have the better product in my opinion.Very impressive......thanks again for a very pleasurable add onJohn M

Hello fellow simmers,Being a co-developper of this F28 package, let me (and on behalf of the rest of the team) first thank you for the kinds words and general appreciation.Without going into detail on individual comments/posts, there's a few things I do want to clarify.Which is by the way my personal view, and not necessarily the official ProjectFokker point-of-view. Although I strongly suspect my fellow team-mates fully agree :-).First of all: the "lack" of a VirtualCockpit and FSX support.The reason that's not in there is very simple: lack-of-time.Since it is our mission to strive for quality of what IS in such a package, adding a (by todays standards) high-resolution, high-performance VC that would have matched the rest of the aircraft's quality, would have taken us at least another few months of development time.Same goes for FSX-compatibility, which requires a lot of gauges to be re-written (caused by MS's design choice to not support the FS98-format gauges anymore).But we decided not to delay this V1 further.I personally don't have a problem at all with people asking us for a VC or FSX compatibility; but at present it's just not in there. And if/when we are going to make that or not: we simply don't know yet.Of course, it's your right to feel "disappointed" about that.But if/how, to those of you that are, you find it necessary to vent that "disappointment" on lack-of-features in a public forum: I personally am very hesitating to do that on a freeware product, but that is MY opinion :-)As far as a comparison with payware products is concerned: I feel that that is not really appropriate; both in a negative or positive way.1. The available resources (not only time) for a freeware team like us are simply limited.2. Being a freeware team, we have the luxury of not having to rush out a product to the market because of commercial pressure.If people appreciate what we deliver: great, and an obvious motivation to continue to do what we like best: designing aircraft.3. Although we have made every effort to model this Fokker28 to the detail in terms of liveries, model and flight characteristics, we have cut a lot of corners in terms of system (and instruments) modelling of the real aircraft. But added a lot of "gadgets" instead, not necessarily all realistic, but because a lot of flightsimmers appear to appreciate such functions (and I like to create them).4. As a freeware team, we can "cut the corners" that WE choose ourselves, without giving people the right to complain because they have paid money for it. And to me personally, that (the choice of creating what "I" like best, instead of what my "customers" expect me to) is my main drive to keep contributing to freeware.And just to avoid any misunderstanding: In general, I (we) have nothing against payware or payware businesses. On the contrary !But everybody makes his own choices. As simple as that.Anyway, a thread like this (and the overwelming amount of positive Emails we get) certainly keeps us motivated to continue what we like best: designing the FS stuff WE like, and allowing others to enjoy our efforts; for free.So you won't have heard the last from us :-)Best regards, Rob Barendregt

Thanks Rob, great post.

Dave Taylor gb.png