Sign in to follow this  
Speedbyrd

Changing Panel Color

Is it a complicated process the change the color of an aircraft panel? I know next to nothing of panel design. It wouldn't matter except that turquoise just doesn't do it for me as a panel color.

If you are talking about the background painted color on the panel - this is in a texture file.You will need some type of graphical editing program - PaintShop Pro or such.You will need DXTBMP to convert the texture if it is in on of the DXT formats.Lastly, you may need a fair amount of artistic talent depending upon how the actual texture is done and what you want to do.But what ever you try, be sure to back up the original and keep it in a safe place.I have no direct knowledge, but I'll bet the color choice - if it is a manufacturer color - was made with a lot of ergonomic testing to achieve the best results as far as eye strain, contract, visibility, etc.Sometimes real world choices do not always translate well/ have the same good impact / on a computer screen.

This can be done fairly easy with a program as Photoshop, as you can simply change the hue of the panel without changing much else (especially with a panel.bmp file, as they are typically the main panel hue, with white/black/grey etc shading/accents).Keep in mind that changes to the original .BMP files is almost always against the copyright of the original designer, so if you have success with this, you cannot typically distribute the modification. You should always ask the original designer regardless, or read their documentation. If it is only for your personal use, it is not an issue.If it is a stock MSFS panel, I believe you can modify those 'freely' and distribute them, but I'm not positive.