Sign in to follow this  
Opa

Pushback Turns

I have noticed that when pushing back, some AI aircraft rotate clockwise while others rotate counter clockwise.Does anyone know what controls the rotation direction and how it can be modified? Does it have to do with the parking place positioning in Afcad perhaps?Thanks in advance for any advice.

Guest tango papa

The turn would be set to whichever way ATC directs the AI's AC taxi route to assigned runway. To do it your self, with your flyable plane, after pressing SHIFT+P, press the [1] to turn left, and [2] to turn right, for regular keyboard, not the Numberic Keypads. The plane will go one plane length before turning.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain

Guest squidie

>I have noticed that when pushing back, some AI aircraft>rotate clockwise while others rotate counter clockwise.>>Does anyone know what controls the rotation direction and how>it can be modified? Does it have to do with the parking place>positioning in Afcad perhaps?>>Thanks in advance for any advice. If you want a simple utility that provides pushback with rotation, you could try MCDU

Guest RonB49

>I have noticed that when pushing back, some AI aircraft>rotate clockwise while others rotate counter clockwise.>>Does anyone know what controls the rotation direction and how>it can be modified? Does it have to do with the parking place>positioning in Afcad perhaps?>>Thanks in advance for any advice. Hi David,I think that the direction of rotation is the shorter route. IOW, most planes are not parked exactly perpendicular to the taxiway behind them. If the plane is parked more than 90* in relation to the taxiway, it turns CW (as viewed from above). If the plane is parked less than 90* in relation to the taxiway, it turns CCW (as viewed from above). In the odd instance where the angle is exactly 90* it is likely "luck of the draw."BTW, I'm not making this up. Well at least I don't think that I am. I seem to recall rading this somewhere. It might be in Lee's AFCAD or AFCAD2 documentation.R-

There is a property in the parking spot configuration in FS2004, and FSX called "PUSHBACK". The SDK identifies valid values as BOTH, LEFT, RIGHT, or NONE.Extensive testing in FS2004 did not show that changing these values made any difference in the way the aircraft turned when pushed back. That is why Lee did not include the ability to change these values in AFCAD. His program just places BOTH as the value in all parking spots.Testing in FSX has been inconclusive. Some types of parking spots seem to work correctly, some do not. Sometimes the required taxi path direction over rides the pushback value.And I'm still not sure if RIGHT is from the pilot's view point or the pushback tug operator viewpoint.I have found with FS2004 and FSX that I can sometimes influence the pushback turn direction by ensuring the parking connector link coming out of the parking spot is not straight back, but off set in the direction I want to the aircraft to turn about 5 degrees.Of course - that behavior is only for AI aircraft - nothing said applies to the User flown aircraft.

Thanks -My continued experiments would seem to agree with your analysis.The relationship of the connector to the taxiway does appear to influence the rotation direction of AI aircraft - at least in FS2004, which is what I am concerned with.