Sign in to follow this  
Guest reggiemental

Help with GPS please for newbie

Guest reggiemental

Hope you can help?I'm very slowly getting to grips with the navigation aspect of FS9 but still struggling with certain points.Re: GPS (500). Is it possible to create more than one waypoint in the GPS? Say I'm flying from EGLL to EGBB. OK, after choosing my aircraft and sat at the parking area I punch in EGBB into the direct-to function, which gives me a course. I want to practise flying to EGBB via VOR's, but not sure how to set this up. I can only seem to put one course in at a time. Or should I be doing this in the pre-flight utility in FS9. OK, if I select VFR and VOR to VOR the program generates a VOR for me to fly to. Is there a way I can add in other VOR's to help with my practise?Re: VOR's. I usually find the VOR's using the map function in the GPS. I tune the NAV1 to the correct frq, and say I want to pick up the 360 degree radial to the VOR, I enter this on the course setting in the autopilot. I then set the NAV button to on. Am I doing this correctly? I now want the aircraft, on reaching the first VOR to steer to the second one, hence the original question about mutliple waypoints.I'm using the autopilot wherever possible, as this gives me more time to think about what's happening ahead on the flight, and saves me manually 'chasing the needle'. Is this good practise, or should I be flying manually and saving the A/P for later in the learning curve?Any help/advice much appreciated!

reggiementalI set up my way points for the GPS using the flight planner.I pick my departure and destination airport.Then if I use VOR navigation I click the circle VOR to VOR. At this point you can go flying and the frequencies will be added or changed to the next VOR after you complete each way point.Once the computer picks the VORs, You can then add or delete the VORs that you want in the flight planner edit area. Deleting is just a matter of high lighting the way point in the edit section of the flight planner. If you want to add a VOR that the computer didn't pick go to the map in the edit section of the flight planner and put your mouse cursor on that part of the course line you want to change. Right click to grab the course line and drag it to the VOR you want to add and release. The VOR's name will be added to your flight plan.The GPS OBS button will cancel the way point sequencing it you want.

Guest reggiemental

Thanks Daryll!Quote: "Right click to grab the course line and drag it to the VOR you want to add and release."That's great news. I'd be trying to do everything in the GPS when I should have been in the flight planner edit section.Thanks again for your help!Paul

You were doing the right thing...trying to set everything up in the GPS from a real world flying perspective.But for simming and the default GPS 500, the flight planner is good and the way to go.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest reggiemental

Thanks Manny, sorry for the delay in responding.