Sign in to follow this  
WA6MQI

Sky Simulations MD-11

No need to create a new Alpha Jeff all I did was a basic 'Save Extended Image' in the DXTBmp program. I only converted over the larger texture files (the ones that listed in at 4,097kb). :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Thanks Dillon, Yep, that's what I normally do as well, however, some VC textures that are converted become black at night if the new alpha is not created. I never know until I do the conversion. I will give this a shot. I notice quite a big hit with this model so it had been hangered. I'll let you know how it works out.

Hello guysi tried to change my flaps settings in theaircraft.cfgI think the results a more comfortable now;at last for meIf you are willing to try here they are:( Don`t forget to backup your orginal aircraft.cfgso you can switch back )this one under Flaps.0type= 2span-outboard= 0.300extending-time= 3.000system_type= 0damaging-speed= 250.000blowout-speed= 300.000lift_scalar= 1.1drag_scalar= 1.5pitch_scalar= 1flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000flaps-position.1= 3.000, 0.000flaps-position.2= 3.000, 0.000 flaps-position.3= 3.000, 0.000flaps-position.4= 6.000, 0.000 this one under Flaps.1type= 1span-outboard= 0.600extending-time= 20.000system_type= 0damaging-speed= 240.000blowout-speed= 280.000lift_scalar= 0.8drag_scalar= 0.9pitch_scalar= 1.0flaps-position.0= 0.000, 0.000flaps-position.1= 0.000, 0.000flaps-position.2= 5.000, 0.000flaps-position.3= 15.000, 0.000flaps-position.4= 22.000, 0.000flaps-position.5= 35.000, 0.000flaps-position.6= 50.000, 0.000you can report back what you mean , after trying........cheerspmpilot

I had my first successful ILS landing last night. I'll go into more detail later but I'm feeling better about this bird now. :-)I haven't tried 'pmpilot's' new suggestion below but I see now it's possible with the correct amount of planning on approach it is possible. Stay tuned...

FS2020 

MD-11 and gpsUnable to have the plane follow gps. I have flightplan loaded and right click on the rightside of the nav button and have irs/gps indicating however plane will not follow flightplan

Hello ,it`s a well known hickhack this AP/ Nav ButtonYou have to try several times as you see in PFD themagenta read NAV 1And only if that is the case the AC will follow theGPS Plan in your FMCJust for shure ; before you must load the Flightplanwith the default Flightplanner from FS9.Hope this helps...........cheerspmpilot

Hey 'pmpilot' (we should really get on first name bases sometime in the near future) I haven't had a chance to try your new edits just above this post (concerning the flaps) but I've got a method down that's not that unreasonable for this aircraft in it's current state on approach to the runway.What I find works is once your cleared to track the 'localizer' slow down to around 160kts. As your AOA rises adjust your flaps accordingly. I don't let my flaps go below 25 percent at this point. Once I've captured the 'localizer' I fly along until the 'glideslope' becomes alive (actually it's best to start slowing down prior to that as you can vividly see how far you are from the airport on the ND screen). I set my speed at this point to 138kts. I drop flaps to 35 degrees at around 140kts. You have to feel out where the plane is depending on weight or you'll get that over exaggerated lampooning effect I mentioned above. Once the flaps are set to 35 degrees and the speed and VS are stable your in prime position for the autopilot to fully take the aircraft down to the runway (I never use the 45 degree flap option because that's more like speed brakes deployed, serves no purpose at all). I actually like having to pay attention to the details of how things as this would be the case in the real world. Another thing to note is when disabling the autopilot and throttle for flare that you remember to be careful to give yourself enough throttle to maintain an optimal decent. All to often (being used to other FS aircraft) you can cut too much throttle thinking you can recover and find that won't work with this MD11 (you'll be in the dirt short of the runway). This is not a forgiving add-on on approach. So all in all I like this bird. After playing with this thing a few times I'm happy to have something that's a little more challenging to get down to the runway. You really have to think ahead with this one. :-) I may not try your latest flap suggestions 'pmpilot' as I like the challenge that's only rivaled for me in the real world (Cessna 172 flying). There's allot of muli-tasking in the real world that FS all too ofter doesn't even come close to. With this MD11 you miss something you either crash or have to go around and try again. Is it on the numbers to the published MD11 POH, I have no idea but it's fun just the same...So my suggestions overall with this add-on is:1. Apply 'pmpilot's first suggestion above concerning editing the config to get better performance on approach. If you don't do this the plane will nose dive once the GS becomes active on the PFD screen.2. Minimize those large VC textures using utilities like 'DXBmp'.3. Follow my instructions to the letter here concerning ILS approaches.Doing these three simple things will have you really enjoying this add-on. This is not to say a fix is not needed but the add-on is very enjoyable if that doesn't happen (for those checking I'm not holding my breath waiting for an update).So I'm signing off on this one as a nice 'lite' add-on to get for those who like the MD11. The pluses outweigh the minuses here hands down. I'm a hardcore junky hoping the PMDG MD11 will still be released for FS9. This MD11 will hold me over no matter what happens (whew, this got long)... :-)

FS2020 

"(whew, this got long)... " Dillon, long is good. I do the same thing. It really helps others out when we are not too short with the "how we made it work" stuff. Thanks for these tips, I will try them shortly.

Hello Dillon ,nice to hear you find your way now;couse it isn`t a bad product.What you stated above i`l done it like this before.But i find those AC flaps reaction is still to hard.So i keep it with that ( my flaps change ) buti am glad to see it works for you now.Hope for other ,tooKeep it all up...cheerspmpilot( Mario G

>Nothing but I suspect the installer does not like a different>path from c:.... >Not very good for a first shoot... :-(I took the plunge and bought that bird. After having followed the instructions to change the registry path the installation went fine with no error messages.However I cannot load the plane straight from the FS9 opening screen without FS9 to crash immediately, long before scenery and texture loading. If I first load any other plane and then once that plane has loaded switch to the MD11, the MD11 loads allright and is perfectly flyable. If I then exit FS9 straight out of the MD11 I am again getting the very same crash.Something is definitely not right here so I have contacted SkySim three times by e-mail, but got no reply until now...!!!!!!!!!!! I own tons of addons and there has never been any issues with getting timely support. Not in this case! It's a real shame since this MD11 has lots of potential.Any ideas what could cause those crashes?Roland

Interesting developments guys...but need to get something else sorted our first: I also took the plunge and bought that bird. After having followed the instructions to change the registry path the installation went fine with no error messages.However I cannot load the plane straight from the FS9 opening screen without FS9 to crash immediately, long before scenery and texture start loading. If I first load any other plane and then once that plane has loaded switch to the MD11, the MD11 loads allright and is perfectly flyable. If I then exit FS9 straight out of the MD11 I am again getting the very same crash.Something is definitely not right here so I have contacted SkySim three times by e-mail, but got no reply until now...!!!!!!!!!!! I own tons of addons and there has never been any issues with getting timely support. Not in this case! It's a real shame since this MD11 has lots of potential.Any ideas what could cause those crashes?Roland

Sorry Roland I have no suggestions concerning your problems. Maybe a reinstall would help. What I would like to know is how people are making out with mine and 'pmpilot's suggestions here... :-)

FS2020 

Dillon, I see your specs in your sig. Look at mine....I can't get this plane to run smoothly at all. It is another frame rate hog on my my rig. I don't get it. How is your performance? If it is better than mine, then I am ready to throw this rig out the window after spending over 2K..for what??? I ask myself. I've converted the textures, and they do load quicker, but as soon as I turn on the power with the displays it's down hill. I'm stumped, as I can't get enjoyment from this plane to test anything.

pmpilot this is a little too much:elevator_effectiveness=1.000 .... this one to 2.000aileron_effectiveness=1.000 .... this one to 2.000 I decided to go back to the original settings. Jeff try setting your 'Affinity' for FS9 to use one processor (I don't know what works for dual core boxes. I use an HT type machine). Sky Sim is using the default GPS display on the ND screens which is a known framerate killer... :-) Make sure FS9 is using the second processor and things like Activesky is using the other.

FS2020 

Guest metamarty

Sorry to bother you guys again, but I'm still wondering how you guys startup this aircraft. Are you all using Control-E for engine startup? I still can't find the correct procedure for engine startup. Can only get the engines to spin up to 12% and they need 20% to start. :-hmmm Am I really the only one with this problem?Thanks,Marty