Sign in to follow this  
Guest Len

I feel this hobby has come to a standstill

Guest Len

>The only excitement recently was the AirlinersXP.>>Apart from that.. Its pretty much a dead zone. Not many addons>for FS9...and not many addons for FSX.>>Its like being in a holding pattern.>>IS it just me? I got so addicted to new addons every other>week to checkout and purchase. >>Hopefull the FSX fix would revive the excitement and hopefully>they have fixed the Airport texture thing so Fly tampa airport>sceneries can run in FSX and or, FS9/FSX sceneries could be>developed together.>>For some reason, I am more excited about sceneries than>aircrafts... even though a good PMDG ailiner type aircrafts is>exciting.>>Manny>>PS Oh yeah.. I forgot about Megascenery. Yeah they are>exciting. Maybe I am just greedy!>>:(I beg to differ on the addons. Have you been checking the FS9 freeware addons. Huge amount virtually every day compared to the paltry FSX offerings.Right now FS9 is where it's at. I have an enormous amount of addons for FS9. And it's beautiful and flying the best its ever flown. FSX has been a huge letdown. Unlike any previous version I'm flying FS9 at least 90% of the time. I reserve some crumbs to bush flying in FSX.

Guest PARADISE

He who dies with the most toys might win, but he who plays with his toys most dies happiest;-) I think the developers of both payware and freeware are also trying to catch their breath after the release of FSX and Vista,and are waiting to see where exactly this "new journey" is going to take us all.John M

Manny, I guess it depends on your perspective. If you are in it to collect addons, then it could be considered a standstill. If you are in it to simulate flight on your PC then it is a great time, especially if you have the PC power to run FSX.I haven't even loooked at the latest addons in the library for the last few weeks, but I fly every other day and enjoy it.Everyone needs to keep in mind that development time gets longer and longer with each new sim version. With us becoming pickier with our quest for what we believe is realism and detail, it only gets worse for developers.I saw a post from a simmer on another forum complaining about how most of the latest addons here are nothing but "lousy" repaints, talk about an unappreciative jerk. Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Water Mango

"Dude, cruise the library here, starting with the "Whats New" button."Maybe Manny is sad because he's not seeing much for FSX in the library (compared to FS9 releases). :-violinI must say we are far from a stand still especially concerning FS9... What FSX has done is cause confusion as to whether it's feasible to create complex add-ons in the new sim or not plus where will this sim be a year from now with hardware at that time? Many of our add-on developers are reverting back to FS9 especially the scenery guys. Freeware guys for the most part never left FS9 and have yet to fully embrace FSX. Yea you get repaints for the default FSX birds and some land class here and there but nothing really serious. That

"I feel this hobby has come to a standstill"I feel the complete opposite! :-eek ...my hobby has never been more fun, more complex, more satisfying with enough new and old addons to keep me busy for years! ..... and that's FS9 :)For example I just installed MEHRABAD INTL (OIII) for the first time this morning (old scenery) in preparation for my upcoming OIII/EGLLMy steed will be the NEW POSKY 747SP (fantastic freeware) ...panel will be Ed/RFP (NEW edit specifically for the SP).... no standstill here m8 ...my sim just gets more involving every day. :-kewl

I totally agree with Ed!I'm personally a tad frustrated with having just too many add-ons that I don't have the time to learn or explore properly. I share flying time mainly between PMDG737, 747, LevelD, Lago Maddog, Coolsky Super-80 and FFS Saab 340 (and bunch of GA and Bizjets) but I haven't really digged in to any as much as they deserve. So for me the AirlinerXP Airbus, PMDG MD11, PMDG737, Level757 can take as much time as they want, I'm way too busy learning what I have already.And as long as there is VATSIM, having a "standstill" is simply impossible!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

"I feel this hobby has come to a standstill."Interesting. True as well. Lots of new add-ons but few new ideas. The market shows a sad lack of original thinking. We're missing huge opportunities for flying fun.Things To Come tried a few cool things. This one shows the line of thinking add-on developers should be exploring.http://things-to-come.com/index_lp.htmA huge NASA base scenery with a cool experimental aircraft, a unique flight situation , and a P-51 thrown in as well. This is a package that offers the buyer things to do. FS9 is a sim, a game, a place to fly and have fun and learn about flight and history and geography. It's not just a showboard for cockpit tech and switch design. :-jumpy "Look at my A320, don't you think it's so much nicer than the six other A320s released this month? Hmmm, don'cha? Huh? Huh?" Let's see some original thinking. Let's see some packages that incorporate scenery and aircraft and history in an original way. For my part, I would love to see a high detailed Edwards Air Force Base that comes with, let's say, an F-106 or F-104, a few test flight "missions", and some imaginative bells and whistles.Won't happen, though, Too many of the same things being releasd over and over. (Often for way too much $$$.)Oh well.

Totally with Krister and no idea where Eric is coming from! :-lol For me in a nutshell I quote "I'm personally a tad frustrated with having just too many aircraft add-ons that I don't have the time to learn or explore properly...."...but add I also have sooooo many airports/routes I have not flown (the SID's 'n STAR's maketh the airport IMHO)...and my paint/panel shop is booked up for the next few years!I know we all have so many different ways of enjoying this fantastic hobby.

" ...and no idea where Eric is coming from!"Yeah, I hear that a lot. :-coolDid you check the link and look at that NASA package? That's some original thinking. We need more projects like that.When they announced the new mystery project by DreamFleet with Vauchez in on it, I thought we were going to see a top shelf scenery & plane package. Something new and inventive. Oh well, it's another Airbus. Ok then. Sure their Airbus looks terrific and the tech is impressive, but I would have rather seen something more... dynamic and imaginative.

I'm loving FS9 right now. I'm finding lots of great freeware sceneries in the library all the time. I don't have the time to fly as much as some people, so even though this stuff isn't "new" it is certainly new to me! Right now there are a ton more addons available that I simply don't have the time for.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest kittie

"Man who lives in glass house... should change in basement"hehehehe, sorry had to post this, it really has nothing to do with what is being said.I agree with what John M said. Things take time. Enjoy what we have now. It sure beats what was 10 years ago.Happy flying.Huggs:(

. . an' I'm up there with Cap'n Picasso! It takes a few hundred flights to become "as one" with a particular aeroplane in the real world. Given the number of aircraft available and the supporting addons like FS Passenges, FDC. etc., and the length of time it takes to become ATP-profficient, i.e. aviation technology - air law, meteorology, navigation - itself, and the ability we have to pick almost any aircraft from any era - I suspect that a goodly number of people don't have the patience or the desire to learn, and simply start on the active, hit Ctl-E and just take off. The need for instant gratification only ever leads to overconfidence, superficial familiarity, leading to boredom, and the eventual need to move on to the "next toy". I agree, Manny - a super part of the hobby is "shopping" (and buying); the downside of that, of course, is that you don't do justice to what you already have in the stable. There's not much point in owning Cloud 9's LAX if you never fly there! I have to add - the biggest change for me came when I upgraded the hardware to that below. I have never seen such beautiful scenery, nor enjoyed the sim as much as I now do. I'm still buying, though - the odd aircraft, as well as sceneries - as there are lots of places on this - now new earth - to be discovered.Interesting topic.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>He who dies with the most toys might win, but he who plays>with his toys most dies happiest;-) >>>>John MYeah..good advice. I should follow that mantra... :)ThanksManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You are right Chris.I have tons of addons for FS9 that I can fly around and I do.But I am unable to do that in FSX for the most part.I have a couple of great GA aircrafts for FSX (The Eaglesofts Cirrus SR22, the RealAir 260, the Aeroworx Kingair, the F172, the fantastic Freeware P51. so I am ok on that front.For airliners... Once I get the FSX version of the PMDG747, the AirlinersXP airbus and the LvlD 767, and the CS 707 and the C130, I would be a happy camper.But the airport sceneries...This is the problem in FSX. I cannot get myself to fly out of the default runway textures and land in another default runway textures. So..I just fly the GA aircrafts in Hawaii now (The only addon scenery I have for FSX) and I never land. I must be sick!I know..there are tons of Airport sceneries for FS9 that I can get (freeware and Payware).. the whole europe.. Germany, France, Spain etc... But I feel guilty buying new addons for FS9 (exclusively for FS9) when I am trying to build FSX. But I still buy the ones that say..they'll upgrade it for FSX. I bought Austria's Salzburg recently.:(Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest over and out

Well, I'm saturated with add ons. At the end of last year there was a big sale at PC Aviator on mostly FS9 add ons (I guess they were anticipating they would be obsolete with FSX coming out?). I got PIC 737, Frieght Dogs, Ready For Pushback 747 and I have yet to crack them open.The great thing is that if you are "lucky" enough to have a slightly older machine (like my 2 year old, 3.2 ghz Dell XPS, that is a great machine), you wont be "downgrading" to FSX since you can't run it on anything but a topend new computer, so you can enjoy all the FS9 stuff at great prices!