Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

how do you all enjoy automated flight?

LMAO....................... Yes I meant aligning the IRS!!!!!!!! ha! Me bad Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithcrvm@iwon.com" A little learning is a dangerous thing"AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest simnut

As with others, I enjoy the preparation required for my domestic, or international flight. As I do ALL my flying on VATSIM, wx and interaction with others become a critical part of my flight. Many of my flights are kept busy , even during cruise, monitoring the a/c, monitoring the wx reported at my destination (this can be changing constantly), working with ATC as I go, and of course , talkin it up with all my buddies that I have made since joining VATSIM. When flying into , out of, and over a busy, ATC controlled airport, you are glad that your aircraft has the auto functions it has. I try to duplicate the "real as it gets" aspect of flyin the big iron. There is a lot more to it that just cruising at altitude!Harry

I too find long hauls boring. It's gotten to the point where I find myself thinking a runway is a runway is a runway. Going to some place just doesnt seem to matter. I fly the 172 96% of the time and enjoy short hops. But to mix it up a little I will hand fly the lear and also jump in the helo. I really hope CoF will add some enjoyment with its new weather system for cruise flights.Kilstorm

I think I like to do either. As some say it is fun to plan the flight as much as it is to fly it. I can go from the Airbus to a Cessna and enjoy both equally. Andrew

It's just fun isn't it? I mean, in real life I couldn't be flying a TU-154 one day, Concorde the next, then a 767, etc, etc. These FS aircraft are so good nowadays that each feels different and requires different skills to fly them. One day it's a short and frentic hop in a Grabowski/Botamar ERJ145 - all computerised and clean, the next it's VFR-ing in the middle of nowhere in an old Il-18. Lots of fun!!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Now try the 747-200. No modern FMC at all, just an INS that takes 9 waypoints (so you're constantly programming your route as you fly).The complexity in operating a big autopilot is mainly in determining what buttons to push when and in what sequence (and of course what settings to put in).The high-end addons replicate this.

Guest cw1011

I enjoy shorter flights in small to medium sized jets from the 1960s -mostly in the west where I live. I like setting up the weather so I don't have an ILS approach - have to fly a visual one to a non-ILS runway. I use Simcharts and FS Navigator to set up my flight plans and program in the STARS. Then I try to fly them as best I can from the Nav Log and the approach chart. Where possible, I'll use a sectional to get the VOR intercepts to triangulate a waypoint - though FS NAV does this as well (best add-on I've ever purchased, by the way).Currently, the IK DC-9 is getting a lot of time (in the old Hughes Airwest "Top Bannana" or PSA smiling bird paint schemes - whoever painted those, thanks!), though the new B-25 is starting to show up on the apron a lot. I enjoy the very rudimentary automation of these "golden age of jets" airplanes and the Briefing Time airplane is just a joy to fly. Havn't had to go around yet - the plane just loves to settle in at 115 - 120 knots to the threshold then ease back and the plane just settles down on the main mounts as gentle as a feather bed. I also have the Dreamfleet 737 and PIC - though I don't fly them much anymore. Short flights in the 767 are OK - but its so light with the small fuel load that it flies like the Lear. The DF 737 does'nt handle well at low speeds, at least compared to the DC-9. I still can't land it in a crosswind by hand, and I really don't get a lot of enjoyment out of auto landing. That may be me, not the plane though!I would love to see photo realistic scenery for the western states. I'd pull out my credit card in a heartbeat and buy another hard drive if needed. That would make the cruise portion of the flight a whole lot more interesting.Colin

I smiled quite a bit as I read your post. Most any job or singular career can be seen by the one involved as no longer fulfilling as the element of yearning for it has dulled.Some might otherwise label this as the mid-life crisis.Well

Well brian you can fly big jets the same as small props. I flew low level vfr in c-141s(big 4 engine jet) for a while...Dont solely rely on the fmc..In the real world you always back up the fmc with charts and using navaids.You never know when the fmc might lead you wrong or even dump..Auto flight frees you up to monitor other things and increase your situation awareness....But imagine having to hand fly a real heavy jet and take care of every thing else for a length of time...physicaly and mentaly draining...but for flight sim...grab some hi or low charts..plot out a flight and hand fly it and use the nav radios for navigation..In the real world we some times hand fly sid and stars.....and hand fly up to cruise alt.........rick

I haven't read any of the other replies.... But I'll offer my take....-For the best fun, I am a "seat of the pants" sim pilot. Put me in an ultralight, like Lago's Quicksilver float plane, and I can fly all day. Nothing gets better, especially over some detailed mesh....-To make automated flight more interesting, which I use on longer hauls in the flight levels, I add some chop to the mix.... Take an aircraft like the SFG DC-9, and put in some chop at FL310, and watching the autopilot work the control surfaces makes for an interesting flight..... I usually will set a flight level wind up at a right angle to the aircraft's flight, with gusts of about 10-15kts above whatever I've set....-John

>i finally figured out what type of flying i like and its >flying airplanes that allow you to fly them, for example >dc9, b727, and all little ga planes, you have to keep track >of the vor to vor, etc but what behooves me is i see a lot >people flying big jets that are fully automated. >>my question is what enjoyment do you all get from that? i >find it unbeilievably boring and i tried to enjoy it and >once im up and cruising and other than checking the >instruments, etc man you just sit there. do you fly them >because you need to do other stuff around the house? or >what? >>tell me what i need to do to enjoy fmc/automated flight, etc >thanks >>>ciao! >Brian S Hello, Brian.Here's an idea: create a few situations, such as crappy weather, etc; then set paramaterrs for engine(s), radios, gauges, etc., to fail. Trying to keep any aircraft in the sky, after that, should be enough to keep you busy :) Running out of fuel is a real bummer too... especially if you are over the Bermuda Triangle - yikes!I was not intending to sound sarcastic or anything, because I know how boring it can be, when flying certain automated aircraft. There are a few that I have (props) that, when you select the "Smoke" key, you get more than just smoke... you get fire coming out of your engine! I like to be at the ceiling-limit altitude (per aircraft) so that I have time to put the fire out... as long as my plane can handle the stressof a sharp nose-dive lol. It sure is funner than putting the fire out the old-fashioned way (which panel button for fire extinguisher?!)P.S. I hope that you are better at flying Helos than I am... especiall y over the erupting volcanoe in Hawaii :( I definitely don't get bored with them.Cheers all!Stanley

I fly usually what I feel like at the time, which is often a fair distance in a commercial jetliner. Rarely do I do a super long-haul.However, often when I want to fly a 1-2 hour flight (or more) and really don't feel like sitting here that whole time, time acceleration comes in real handy. :)It does accomplish one good thing: adds hours to my logbook.. :)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE