Sign in to follow this  

The fastest prop planes are...

I have been testing times to 20,000ft, and have some interesting results. I threw in the 777 for good measure, and was surprised to see it beat by the prop planes. Especially interesting was the EP-3E, which has the same engines the C-130 has, only its much smaller and lighter, making it faster than many WWII fighers. I tested each plane empty, with just enough fuel to make it to 20k and back. Here are the fasest prop planes I have:(Time to 20,000 ft)Real Air Reno Racer - 2:20P-51D Reno Racer - 3:00Boeing 777 - 3:10EP-3E Aries II - 3:20Real Air Spitfire - 3:30

Interesting figures. Real Air modelled the Spitfire Mk XIV. The time to 20,000 ft for the protoype of the Mk XIV was 5.1 min. For the production version, the maximum rate of climb below 20,000 ft was 4,700 ft/min so the time to climb to 20,000 ft must be greater than 4.25 min, because the rate of climb falls with height. I estimate the true figure to be about 4.8 min. This suggests that your figure of 3:30 min is optimistic.These figures are taken from original reports of flight tests at the time given in:http://www.spitfireperformance.com/jf319.htmlhttp://www.spitfireperformance.com/spitfire-XIV.html(Click on Maximum Climbing Performance under CENTRAL FIGHTER ESTABLISHMENT REPORT No. 78)Does anyone have any comparable figures for the other aircraft?

SolarEagle: Very good topic! Although I rarely need an excuse to fly my R.A. Spit ( the wife notwithstanding..), this is something I have not tried. As most of my flights are of short duration, this fits in perfectly. I'm heading to West Malling now to do some flight tests. Thanks again!mgh: Thank you for the links. Great information on what is my favorite real world (and sim world) aircraft. I can see that when not flying, I'll be spending some hours looking thru what this website has to offer. Great Stuff!If you are not already aware of it, Tom Goodrick has an excellent digital timer gauge that installs easily in any aircraft. Go to:http://www.bluegrassairlines.com/gaar_2007/Scroll down and in the lower left is the "FTime" download. The gauge automatically starts when takeoff speed reaches 35kts., and automatically stops when slowing to 35kts. on the rollout. Fun to play with.

MGH,Yeah I know about the published time to 20k numbers, as thats what prompted me to do the tests. I was actually wondering about the difference myself, and wondered if perhaps those published numbers are with a full tank of fuel, or if the Real Air Spit is a bit "overpowered". I did used only 100lb of fuel for my test. Also on the link you provided it said the best climb speed was 175, but I was above 180 for the entire climb, so that may account for some of the difference. Also I took off under full power, and I'm sure that would not happen in reality. EDIT: I see it says at the first link takeoff weight was 8,400lb. I'll try testing again at 8400lb and normal takeoff power and see what I get.

OK so I just tested the Spitfire again using the parameters outlined in that test data. To get to an 8,400lb takeoff weight I had to fill all the tanks to 100%.I used the recommended takeoff power, which was around 7-8lb boost, and did not go full power until I was ready to go airborn.I started the timer right when I released the break, and kept it between 175 and 180mph.On the first test I got 3:59, and on the second test I got 3:55.I was above 4,000ft per min during all stages of the climb. So it seems the climb performance is better than its real counterpart, which is fine by me, as I'm all about a better performing plane.

I just found out the time to climb world record is 91.1 secs to 3000m set by the 4000hp Rare Bear. I'm going to see how the Real Air Spitfire Racer compares to that when I get home.

Guest DreamFleet

Now, and giving this thread a different twist...Which single engine GA piston aircraft holds the altitude record for it's type?The altitude was 43,699'. Even a 747 can't get there.Hint: Clyde, 1967, and only 285 hp.What single engine piston aircraft holds the overall altitude record regardless of type?The altitude was 56,047 feet. Sort of like Concorde used to do.Hint: It was 1938, and the plane had more than one wing, and the plane and pilot has something in common with me. So, that means it was not American, British, French, German, Japanese, or Russian.Climb rates are great, but who goes the highest? It's not the big bore piston fighters with the fast climb rates either. ;)Everyone goes to Google to see. ;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>Everyone goes to Google to see. ;)>>Regards,Hehe. I've posted questions like this before and made sure to word it in such a way that I don't give away the keywords for the page hits. lolI'll only post the answer to the first one, and leave the other for the next guy.Walter Cable flew to 43,699ft in a 1967 TurboSystem Cessna 210 Centurion, powered by a 285-hp Continental Airesearch turbocharged engine. Walter was still climbing 100 feet per minute as he passed through 40,000 feet. By the time the plane reached its maximum altitude, it was in such a steep attitude that he was literally "hanging on the prop" clawing for every foot of height. The outside temperature was 60 degrees below zero and the cabin heater going full blast gave little relief. One hour and forty-five minutes after takeoff, Walter had reached 43,699 feet setting a new world Class-l.c altitude record for light aircraft, which still stands today. Fromhttp://www.cableairport.com/history/hwalter.htm

Guest ThrottleUp

What about a lightly-loaded, stripped-down TU-95 Bear!

>The time to climb world record is 91.1 secs to 3000m set by the >4000hp Rare Bear. I flew my Real Air Spitfire racer from a dead stop to 10,000ft in 91 seconds, with a full load of fuel (8400lb). So it seems this plane is capable of taking the time to climb world record. I've since increased it to 25lb of boost, up from 21, and flew to 10,000ft in 75 seconds. Here is a picture of my significantly reworked 3,800 horsepower Griffon, which goes to 10k in 65 seconds. http://sio.midco.net/111lll/soaring.jpg