Sign in to follow this  
Guest 727Fan

What Causes Sudden Loss of Texture Quality?

Guest 727Fan

To James. Regarding the FS config file. I looked in the folder and found a bunch of config files; terrain texture, FS 2002, FS 2002dw, scenery.Do you mean the one titled "FS2002?"I tried a simple frame rate target setting lower than what I was using. Went from 25 to 20, and I haven't had the sudden degradation occur. Flew Milwaukee to O'Hare and landed O'Hare. Frame rates sometimes drop to 12fps, but I suppose with lots of AI around (18 aircraft) that's acceptable. In the morning I'll check back with you re the config file question.And I haven't ruled out a virus or trojan. I've had Norton disabled of late because I've only been going to AVSIM lately. But maybe my daughter or wife went somewhere and something came into my system.How do I see what's in my system tray?I'm not very computer saavy. Heck, I don't even know how to add scenery. DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CU in the morningRick

There may be yet another explanation.. as best I know FS2002 will try to maintain the FPS that you have set in the display setting.If the complexity of the environment causes the fps to drop to 70% of your setting, FS will dynamically decrease the texture complexity in an effort to maintain your fps! In your case, setting the fps to 25 will cause textures to blur if the fps drop below 18!This is not a problem with your hardware or drivers, but a feature in FS2002. In fs20002.cfg you can find both your 25 fps and the 17-18 fps setting.. LOD_TARGET_FPS=xx

Bert

Guest 727Fan

Ok, that makes sense.So last night the blurries dramatically hit my sim after I had flown the circuit at Caracas, landed, and turned onto the taxiway. looked over to the terminal. There were 10 aircraft visible and WHAM, textures dropped to a soupy mess. Seeing those 10 aircraft as I taxied to the active before the flight, they were sharp and clear.So I paused the scene and was digging for the "how to" paper on making a screen shot to post here. After about 45 seconds, I glanced back to the paused screen, and to my shock, all the textures had been restored. How do I interpret this?I decided to try a simple solution as proposed in this thread; remove the FS2002 config. file and start the sim. I flew around to most of the places where blurries struck with frame rate target at 20. The sim ran smoother than it has in months, and no soupy, washed-out blurries.EGAD! Maybe this is the solution!Stay tuned. If the blurries return tonight or tomorrow, I'll have a screen-shot to show.Grateful as always,,Rick

Guest JamesJ

It's the one that says FS2002..let your mouse curser rest on it and it will say "type CFG file". If this solves your problem, make a backup and tuck it away somewhere..next time just drag and drop your copy into fs2002 and you'll have all your settings..JamesJ