Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Page File question? FS9

I have a dual boot setup with Win98 and WinXP (home) on two separate physical drives, the Win98 drive is FAT32 and WinXp drive is NTFS. What i would like to do is move my pagefile to the the Win98 drive so it is on a separate drive from my FS9 setup. Can i put a winXP page file on a FAT32 drive? Thanks!!

Hi Slick9,I didn't ask anyone before I did it. If the performance was hurt, I sure couldn't tell it. I have the PF back on the C: drive now, and still can't really tell any difference. Exhaustive tests might prove one faster than the other but I'd be surprised if it made a noticeable difference.Loyd

The pagefile will work fine on the FAT32 drive. But I'd leave it where it is unless space is a problem. You won't see any performance difference by moving the file.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest SilverCircle

In general, putting the pagefile on a separate *physical* drive (not separate partition on the same drive) can improve performance if that drive is not used for other system or application files. Whether the pagefile resides on a FAT32 or NTFS partition doesn't matter here. The advantages of NTFS are unimportant for accessing a single, large file.The disadvantage is that XP has to load additional filesystem drivers for accessing the FAT partition.