Sign in to follow this  
Guest LeeWang

Utility for creating/adding ILS Approaches

Guest LeeWang

helloIs their utility for creating ILS approaches that ATC will recognized and follow? I use AFCAD to create a new ILS for a airport, but ATC only gave me visual approach procedure while flying IFR. I have tried creating an ILS approach using xml coding, but wonder if their is a utility that aids in this?Lee

Many people would like such a beast. Right now it is hard to just decode the default approaches, let alone edit or create new ones.scott s..

Guest martin842

I too have been trying to write an ILS and GPS approach, but so far without success.The developers of MSFS must have written a thousand or more of these things for all the default airports. Did they do each one by hand, or do they have some shortcut method or tool for doing this?Martin

They probably used a commercial database and converted it. The problem is that the details on how to do approaches rely on a spec called ARINC 424. This spec is not in the public domain -- you have to buy it. IF you had it in hand, you could probably use it to build a utility. FS seems to only implement a subset of possible legs. Some data is not actually used by FS either. I've found doing "RNAV" appraoches isn'tthat hard, since most the legs are just IF / TF with maybe a CA in the missed approach to an HA.search on poster Jim Vile AKA "jvile" here, on flightsim.com, and Projectai.com and between the 3 you should find info sufficient to try your hand at an ILS approach.scott s..

Guest LeeWang

Thanks all. I hoping thier was a utility for approachs, but guess not. Thanks Scott for the tips. I been working on ILS approach, and thanks to Jim Vile and his efforts and many posts, I managed to get a active ILS working at CYLW. Still needs tweaks, but at least ATC knows CYLW has an ILS now and vectors me for the ILS.Lee

I just ran across a fine utility for doing what you are describing.Look for ils_gps_approach_creator_v1.zipby Martin GleesonGood luck.

Guest LeeWang

LOL... This post is almost one year old, but thanks for the file name. I'll check into it, as I'm currently writing atc approaches by hand.Lee

That program will do a quick-and-dirty approach, acceptable to ATC, but if you want it to match a chart you need to do it by hand.scott s..