Sign in to follow this  
Carob

Edit Voicepack Question

Hello.I am unable to login over at the FS Gateway forums so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.I have reinstalled FS9 on a new computer and have also reinstalled Edit Voicepack. But, the state that Edit Voicepack is currently in doesn't seem to pick up the few modifications that have been made to the current accelerated USEnglish sound file being used (copied over from the old machine)in FS9.Is there something special that has to be done to get Edit Voicepack to read the file correctly? I haven't updated it yet because I was affraid if I did that and saved it I would lose the other items that had been put int he soudn file previously.Can anyone offer any insight here?Thanks!

IIRC,Remove the file Evp_Accelerated.gvp from the sound folder, and re-run the acceleration option from the Edit Voicepack program. I have done this before, and it seems to work fine.Keep that file somewhere else until you confirm that this works.The Edit Voicepack user guide can be found here:http://www.editvoicepack.com/readme.html#ToC9From the guide:If you do not use the accelerated voicepack usenglishsmall.gvp will be modified directly. If you use the accelerated voicepack the file will be renamed to USEnglishBig.gvp.evpOrg and a new file named Evp_Accelerated.gvp will be created.In case you experience any problems with the ATC sound in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight please try to restore the original voicepack file from your Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight CD number 2. The file is inside the file "MSGame5.cab" for the 10 voice (full) setup, and inside the "MSGame4.cab" file for the three voice (compact) setup. Copy one of these files (do not copy both) to the Sound directory under the Flight Simulator directory. In case the Sound directory contains files named *.evpOrg or Evp_Accelerated.gvp they should be deleted.

I'm confused. Did you think I was asking why the accelerated voice are not there? 'Cause it seems like it. The acceleration part is working fine. My question was about the few extra voices that I had at one time installed using Edit Voicepack.Right now when I launch Edit Voicepack it is not showing them in it's list. It's acting like it is seeing a fresh install of the sound file in FS9.

ahhh, sorry, I did misunderstand.Edit Voicepack for FS9 is no longer being updated, so your best bet (as it sounds like you did not back-up your sound folder?) would be to download and install the latest version of the program, and perhaps that includes all the modifications to date. Did you do that?Again, IIRC, the mods were added via a 'live download update' after starting the program for the first time, or whenever you checked on updates.To be honest, I'm not sure how that is being handled now, as 'live updates' are no longer offered with the FS9 version.

I do have a backup but that doesn't help in this situation. The additions I'm referring to are not ones that came from the updates. For instance, one of them was one I created myself.

Strange. I assume you attempted to do an update within the program? Along with importing you personal file?

No, I haven't updateded the program yet because of the reason mentioned earlier and I don't have the original personal file. Once imported into Voicepack why would I need it anymore? (Don't answer that!)

:DI think you may be driving yourself crazy trying to salvage one file.I would probably update the program with the latest file, then recreate your custom file, and import it. But hey, thats me. ;)This can be a fussy program at times...I guess I'm lucky I have not had similar problems, but it does remind me how important it is to back-up back-up back-up. And I'm guilty of not doing it enough.

But forgetting all of that, does it even make sense that a fresh install of Edit Voicepack doesn't read the current sound file that's being used?Maybe that's normal, I don't know. It just seems wierd.

I would read the 'read me' thoroughly, and it may contain your answer.Again, sorry I can't be more help, as I haven't had the issue you have, and nobody else has stepped in either.What you may be forced to do is replace the 'Big' file from the disk as spelled out in my first post to you and then update, and/or follow the instructions to uninstall, and then do a clean reinstall with the default files in place.I have a feeling that the program isn't reading your mods, because it is reading something else, or not recognizing that file for some reason, and it may be defaulting to the 'big' file instead. You may need to either reinstall or update the program so it recognizes the mods from the default state.This is one of those issues that is best figured out by yourself possibly, as you should know exactly what you have transferred, what you haven't, etc.Have you tried emailing Lars?...oh, and if you created the personal mod, you know it isn't that tough to do (I've done a few myself), and if you didn't, and don't know how, I would be more than happy recreating it for you and emailing you the modification for import.

Hi,I think you are misunderstanding how EVP works. EVP does NOT read the current GVP file and get it's info from that. As I understand it, it reads a default file into memory, and then uses an XML file found in the main EVP folder to make the changes to that default file.If you move over a converted GVP file, this will have no effect on EVP. You must move over the XML file (I assume), but I am not sure how this works. You could try it and see what happens, but back up the originals first!Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Well, the original XML file is long gone. The old computer has already been formatted.Oh well.

Thanks for that clarification Tom, I know I would have had no idea regarding backing up the xml file.Good to keep in mind next time I back up my FS folders.