Sign in to follow this  
iGuardian

FS2004 and TrackIR 4

Hello everybody,I am interested in purchasing TrackIR 4 to use with MS Flight Sim 2004 and have a few questions to users that have been using that product for some time. I apologize if those questions might seem very silly, I just don't know anything about Infrared Technology. Here are the questions:1. After using TrackIR for long periods of time (over 1-2 hours daily) do you experience any discomfort like headache, eye pains or anything else?2. Did you experience any decrease in vision or any vision problems due to Infrared light being emitted at your eyes during game play?I already spoke with Naturalpoint Tech Support and they seem very knowledgeable about their product, but I would like to hear some opinions from the actual users (customers) who purchased that product and used it for some time.Thank you,Vitek

I can say NO to BOTH for you. Although I don't really use it longer than 2 hours per session. The InfraRed is harmless I'd say.It's a little wierd/disorientating at first. But after say 10-12 flights you get used to it.TrackIR is the single thing that transformed my approach to FS. It's simply incredible.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

concur with Max, No and No....and it is incredible. FS will never be the same without it.

. . . couldn't/wouldn't fly without it, Vitek!- No discomfort, eye pains.- No vision problems.- No headaches. Certainly it needs to be setup the way you want it to be, because you can get it to behave quite strangely during the setup/testing process - and understand what it does and how your modifications affect it. I've had mine almost a year and still play with the settings from time to time.Go for it - it's one of my best investments.Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

1. Depends on your set up. It took me a while to set it up correctly, in the beginning I had some strian in my neck. Once it had been tweaked to my own likings, I didn't have any problems anymore.2. You won't notice the small IR transmitters when flying.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Okay Vitek, here we go again........TrackIR4 is the best hardware ever designed for Flightsim, full stop!I would not fly now without it, it really does put you in the cockpit and is much, much cheaper than building your own cockpit in your garage!Plus, you get to fly every aircraft complete with all it's individual 'bells and whistles'.There is no headaches and the infra red is not a problem.Setting up the Trackir for use is paramount to your own individual enjoyment. First and foremost, check your settings.Go into 'Profiles' and tick the 'Flight' profile for flying. I use a profile that you can download from the Natural point website called 'Optimized Flight'.Next off, click on 'Edit', that will display another window. Make sure that the 'Vector' is ticked and the 'Acceration' is selected for 'smooth' for all the axis.Now click on 'heads' and the images you will see are 'your head' and the In game head. Now get comfortable in your chair, look at the camera (Which should be fitted at the top centre of your screen) and now hit 'F12'.This stabilizes your view. You may need to use this function again at times?Close the 'Heads' and click on 'Tracking'.If you see any other reflections than three green lights in that screen you have a light scource and this will cause havok to the trackir. Illiminate the scource or increase the light filtering by clicking on settings on the tracking screen.Now click on 'Hot Keys'. Change the 'Pause' key and reassign it to 'Mouse three' which I prefer by pushing down on your mouse wheel. My theory is that, if your using your mouse to change your flight settings, you might as well use that fuction for pausing? Besides I have FSnav and thats the key for that.I always refer to using my TrackIR4 as 'Total Immersion'. If thats waht you want, go for it.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Bubba04

I too have TrackIR4 and I have no headaches, neckaches, or dizzyness with this unit. It is absolutely fabulous to fly with!! It can take just a little bit of time to get used to, but I must say TrackIR4 has prepared me for this new 3D gaming I am experiencing now. I got a pair of those anaglyph 3D glasses from eyecessories.com, and let me tell you... these glasses together with TrackIR4 is quite something. Viewing the cockpit in REAL 3D while panning around with TrackIR is truly a magic experience! I don't think I can fly without these accessories again.The 3D flying does take more time to get used to, but I feel I was helped along by getting started with the TrackIR first. So if you don't have a problem with the movement in 3D games now, you should be good to go with TrackIR. And maybe latter you can bump it up a notch with a pair of 3D glasses. Either way, your flying will be greatly enhanced.Bubba04

here is a question I have wondered about. I fly exclusively with dual monitors. Can you set up the limits ("field of view") so that when you look at your second monitor TrackIR ignores/stops panning? Curious also is it just for the virtual cockpits? Thanks, Scott.

I can't answer you question regarding dual monitors, but yes, TrackIR can only be used in the VC.

Does TrackIR itself have any 3D effect that I've seen in videos, or is it the view through the 3D glasses that's some how recorded? The video I had in mind, was with the Dornier Do27, and the Portland Scenery, I believe.L.Adamson

There's no way 3D can be recorded.You simply sit in the VC (3D polygons around you) and you can look up, down, left, right, tilt, forward, backward as if you were there. I read your posts gushing about the SF260, I'd recommend you take her up with TIR4, it's worth it. PatAMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS 1GB DDR, LTK6800GT-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, WDRaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, XP-hsp2

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

>There's no way 3D can be recorded.>>You simply sit in the VC (3D polygons around you) and you can>look up, down, left, right, tilt, forward, backward as if you>were there. >>I read your posts gushing about the SF260, I'd recommend you>take her up with TIR4, it's worth it. >Okay, thanks. I'm planning on getting one.