Sign in to follow this  
Scott434

FS9 back up question

Hi Folks, I tried FSX and it is now back on the shelf until the distant future. I got to thinking that I should really make a copy of my original FS9 cd set since it might be awhile before I move to FSX. I tried to make a backup of my FS9 cd set. Disk 4 won't copy due to the copy protection.Has any one successfully copied FS9 cds. I want to make a legal backup copy for my own personal use. Is there a cd burning program out there that does a bit for bit cd copy?Failing making a copy, can you still purchase FS2004 anywhere?Scott

Can't help you on the copy aspect, but FS2004 is definitely still on sale in most countries, and from what I've seen wuite cheap too now. You shouldn't need to worry about that.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hello,I use ALCOHOL 120%. http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ It is a backup program that can make "virtual" copies of CD's. I keep a copy of my FS9 disk4 and use the ALCOHOL virtual disk4 as the load cd. It can be assigned to a drive letter. I only use the real disks to reload my system.Cheers,Ron Sagel

Scott - I used BlindWrite to make my backup copies. They have a full-function trial version so you can try-before-you-buy. See www.blindwrite.com .Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Hello,>>I use ALCOHOL 120%.> http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ >>It is a backup program that can make "virtual" copies of CD's.>I keep a copy of my FS9 disk4 and use the ALCOHOL virtual>disk4 as the load cd. It can be assigned to a drive letter. I>only use the real disks to reload my system.>>Cheers,>>Ron Sagel>Thanks Ron, sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I will give it a try s

Scott,You might also want to consider a simpler alternative. A complete DVD copy of a clean install (with patch, tweaks, and modules) It will fit and FS9 doesn't seem to care. I still fly the one I installed years ago under W98. Just remember to include the special files in the user-specific folders. A second/third DVD should hold most add-on AC and scenery etc ------ you need to back 'em up anyway, no?Loyd

>Hello,>>I use ALCOHOL 120%.> http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ >>It is a backup program that can make "virtual" copies of CD's.>I keep a copy of my FS9 disk4 and use the ALCOHOL virtual>disk4 as the load cd. It can be assigned to a drive letter. I>only use the real disks to reload my system.>>Cheers,>>Ron Sagel>I downloaded the trial version and made a copy of FS9 disk 4 but it did not work. Digging in to it a bit deeper, the help mentions knowing the data type of the source disk. I was wondering if you made a copy and used it or did you use the virtual disk method of running FS9 from your hard drive. Any info/help would be appreciated. s

Hello,I never burned a copy. I use the virtual copy of disk #4. I'm not real good at the tech stuff - I only ran the copy function to make the virtual image and keep it on my "D" drive. I assign it with the Alcohol to another drive letter like "J".Cheers,Ron Sagel

Doesn't matter on the data type. Alcohol 120% won't make a reliable copy of disc 4. See my post below re BlindWrite.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

>Hello,>>I never burned a copy. I use the virtual copy of disk #4. I'm>not real good at the tech stuff - I only ran the copy function>to make the virtual image and keep it on my "D" drive. I>assign it with the Alcohol to another drive letter like "J".>>Cheers,>>Ron Sagel>Thanks. I got it working. Very very nice, HIGHLY recommend Alcohol 120% and I will buy. It works wonderfully. FS9 starts up instantly with no CD access (a bonus for me since my cd drive is a very noisy thing.I now have all might flight DVDs (AOA67, United777, ITVV 747-400 Virgin Atlantic, Polar 747-200&-400) and my FS9 Disk4 all virtual disks on my laptop so now I can fly and watch/learn while on the road. Since I have replaced my bedside TV for my laptop, I can now watch different DVDs with out having to physically swap disks. Love tech!Thanks for your help Ron and thanks to Alcohol 120%. s

Yep...you can still buy it. I bought an 'archive' copy two days ago.BTW, if you DO BUY a retail copy, that gives the store incentive AND M.S. to keep it in the purchase channel.:)Mitch R.