Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

Post your support for FS9 here please?

I am by no means an FSX cheerleader. But this post is kind of strange.Lets see.. do you have all the addons there is for FS9? If I want to buy addons for FS9, I can go ahead and get lot more addons that I do not have.I do not have all the wonderful German scenery and German Airports, That goes for France and Spain, Neatherlands, Japan... There are tons of aircrafts too for FS9 that I can still get for FS9.Ofcourse if you have bought allmost all the addons for FS9...then I can understand the plea for...developing more FS9 addons.Don't get me wrong.. I do not mind if vendors put out FS9 addons.But for me... I need to start collecting FSX addons. Particulalry FSX sceneries... and airport sceneries. I have enough aircrafts and sceneries in FS9 to fly around in FS9 and I still do. But purchasing more sceneries are concerned.... Hopefully Vendors would focus on FSX lot more...if they produce FS9 addons with an upgrade option to FSX that would be nice too (waiting for some FSX runway texture issues to be fixed and perfornce fix etc). I am in the market for FSX addons. Period! :)MannyPS: Thanks to Megascenery X for FSX.. It kicks @ss over the FS9 version. IF you ofcourse prefer FS9...they have lots of Megascenery FS9 version that you could get.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Manny although you love FSX there will be allot of time passed before you see it fully embraced the way previous versions were. Again this thread was only for people to send a message to add-on developers 'IF' they prefer FS9. Read mine and Chris's response above for clarity if you will. If you like FSX fine but don't expect it to be what FS9 is now for quite some time if ever. Manny it looks like it's about time you take your issues up with Aces versus all of us showing support for FS9. :-) Their the main ones at fault for making FSX so hard to migrate into for both users and developers. I agree with Chis above when he made the point, for all the headache of FSX you don't even get scolded for flying below 10,000ft (well he actually commented on wing icing and yaw damper but as you see there's many examples to be given). FSX outside of the visual department is FS9 and you have a problem understanding why this community isn't rushing to embrace it... :-lol You may have to get over it and put the fault where it needs to be...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Dillon,I understand why many folks have not embrassed FSX as yet. To tell you the truth neither have I.I fly FS9 for 80% of the time... and fly FSX for 20% of the time.Thats not the issue. The issue is..the same point Holger made. IS there a dearth of FS9 sceneries/addons? Payware and Freeware? Have all majority of the FS9 addons been consumed already by the "FS9 crowd"?I see a vieled threat, a message to addon vendors... at the worst case 'Don't focus on FSX, continue your focus only on FS9' or at its most benign interpretation, Continue with FS9 addons and we do not care for FSX addons.FSX will get better eventually either in the form of FSXI or after the fix or when the new 45nm processor comes out. For me...I need airport sceneries and sceneries in general lot more than addon aircrafts. Somewhere in the region of 10:1 For every add on aircraft I need 10 sceneries to enjoy flight sim.I wish..ACES would fix that custom runway texture issue more than anything else.. That seems to bug me more than even the performance issue to tell you the truth. There is no way..I'll get an airport with default runway texture and taxiway texture (slight cracks here in there does not count):)Manny

Manny

Hi Dillon,please define "this community" and who elected you the person to refer to for "clarity".No matter how many times you (or others on both "sides") repeat your personal preference you still only have one vote so how about stepping aside for a bit and enjoying "your" sim rather than flying in circles in the forums?There is absolutely no need for this stupid us vs. them mentality. A hobby's main purpose is to have fun and not to tell others how or what to have fun with.I highly appreciate the support from anyone who uses my add-ons but, as I point out in my other post here, forum statements will have very limited influence on the projects I contribute to, freeware or payware.Cheers, Holger

>Michael Carr, why are you even posting in this thread???>>The title is of the thread is "Post your support for FS9 here>please?" plain and simple (AND IT'S IN THE FS9 FORUM)...>>This thread isn't about how people want to move forward to>FSX. That's not the point, you have a whole forum for that>kind of dialog.>>What's been asked here is if you plan on using FS9 over FSX>post a comment of support for that. I get so sick of people>chiming in to hijack a thread and there for get it locked down>because of arguments. If your in the FSX camp don't comment. >This is only for people continuing to support FS9 both in>usage and purchasing power concerning future add-ons...This thread is nothing but a space for testimonials of "Why I dislike FSX", and not much more. I could start the same crap at the FSX forum, and you'd be the first to hijack it! :-roll L.Adamson

> No matter how you>slice and dice it FSX is a prettier version of FS9, I>reiterate nothing outside that has changed (space flight isn't>even modeled correctly). >You're right, and then wrong!Yes, FSX IS prettier than FS9! It's about time we got those high resolution photo-real textures to replace the cartoon look of FS9 that dominates so much of the FS world outside of a bunch of scenery addons! One meter per pixel beats 4.8 meters per pixel anyday. It's about 16 times the resolution, and it certainly shows! This also applies to panels which finally get rid of the "fuzzy" look!As to what else has changed, how would you know? I've been running FSX for nearly four months, and you don't even own it. Let's don't get on this "whats modeled correctly" BS for the sake of an argument! We could find thousands upon thousands of items for each sim, with little problem...L.Adamson

>>Unless FSX is revamped to give us things like better ATC,>SID/STAR approaches, ATC coordinated holding patterns, a>reason to turn on Yaw Damper and the Ice switch for wing>icing, then FS9 will be the mainstay. FSX has nothing but>fluff and little improved for aviation enthusiast to even>bother.>Nothing but pure opinion, just like the rest of this editorial "fluff"! Please define an "aviation enthusiast"...Is it only a simmer who prefers to sim fly commercial aircraft? Does nothing else count? :-hmmm Do you speak for all? :-roll L.Adamson

Guest SJDickson

Anyone who is truly interested in helping add-on developers to make informed decisions about whether to develop products for FS9 or FSX or both should welcome discussion about the relative market potential for each title. That's what this thread is supposed to be all about, right; helping developers to make informed decisions? No, apparently - and very transparently - it's not.

Threads like this are pointless and only serve one purpose: Yet another comparison between FS9 and FSX. Aren't we done yet?Not much credibility here, especially with the original poster describing FSX as a "game". Yea, a fully functional G1000, smoother gauges, thermals, environmental effects on runways, head latency, better default airplanes and VCs, higher resolution textures, better mesh, different viewports, improved multi-monitor support clearly points to the opposite and is just dripping of ignorance. Why can't the 2 versions just peacefully co-exist and threads like this just die off?Legacy doesn't mean less enjoyable.Pat

FS9 here, for the mid-to-long term, at least.Just doesn't make sense to me, to upgrade now. Too many unknowns. Vista ? DX10 ? Hardware ? No thanks, I'm enjoying FS9 too much to start worrying about all of that now.I also just don't have the energy to start over with a new sim yet. I only just this past year or so, found myself with a sim that I could stop "messing" with. No more CTD's ever. No more unknowns at all. Just frustration-free simming. Did the same thing transitioning from 2002-2004. Only difference between the two, is that this time, I haven't even purchased the new version yet, as opposed to beating down the door on release day for the previous three. I dunno, while I certainly see the potential, I just didn't find anything compelling enough to warrant supporting this new version at release-day price. I'm still waiting to see something....haven't yet. I haven't even tried the demo.I'll pick it up off the bargain shelf at WalMart when I'm ready.I'm not anti-FSX, hard to be that without owning it after all, it's just clear to me that this version was not designed with the type of simming I like to do, in mind, and ya know what, in a way, I'm kinda relieved by that.Change is good, even if it can be uncomfortable at times, and FSX will have it's day, at least I genuinely hope it will, but I don't see that coming for at LEAST another year. When that time comes, I'll certainly have an open mind to it.I would like to thank those that have shared so much of their experiences with FSX, for and against; the absolute wealth of information shared has certainly helped at least this simmer make a fairly easy choice to sit this one out, at least for now, and for that you all have my gratitude.To the point of the OP, well, you've got 12-18mos for this simmer to even consider FSX, and allot of saved cash burning a whole in my pocket because of that self-imposed delay. 'Twould be a shame if I actually had to do something useful with that money, now wouldn't it ? :-lol

Regards,

Brian Doney

>There is absolutely no need for this stupid us vs. them mentality. A hobby's main purpose is to have fun and not to tell others how or what to have fun with.

Bought FSX, uninstalled it. Have been using FS9 since and have been buying more add-ons for it. And I don't plan on changing either habit any time soon. So yeah, please continue developing for FS9.

Mike...

>Bought FSX, uninstalled it. Have been using FS9 since and>have been buying more add-ons for it. And I don't plan on>changing either habit any time soon. So yeah, please continue>developing for FS9.:)To all the addon vendors:Case for developing for FSX:If you develop for FSX...people will buy it, if not now, eventually they would get it. What you are developing would have a long shelf life.If you develop only for FS9, then you have to compete with all the other FS9 addons that are out there...that the FS9 users have not yet bought. Think about it... There are tons of FS9 addons out there that are yet to be bought and enjoyed and yet they have not done so (not all of them atleast0... So..what makes you think...they are going buy yours now?Sorry!...I couldn't resist.:)Manny

Manny

>>Just curious as to what the subtle changes are. I find everything in regard to flight as an improvement, which includes trim, the perceived feel, moving and changing airmasses, and the crispness of cockpit/panel textures.<<Larry,I certainly don't wish to start a flame war or any such thing over the issues I find unacceptable with FSX, as compared to FS9, but there are some changes where we lost specific features that have been a part of Flight Simulator for the last 10+ years and I'm simply not ready to adjust to them (when you get to my age you kinda get set in your ways you know).I can't answer to the improved <<....trim, the perceived feel, moving and changing airmasses, and the crispness of cockpit/panel textures.<<, as my system (Dell Dimension 8300 XP Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz processor, 1024 MB DDR ram memory, Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB video card) is incapable of running FSX at anything past 2 or 3 fps near airports and maybe 8 or 10 fps in other areas, these frame rates can only can only be acheived when all sliders are reduced to their minimums (rendering the scenery to something akin to what was default in FS2000). This said, I cannot comment on any improvements as to flight modeling or "cockpit/panel textures" (all of the FSX panels on my system appear as simple fuzzy blotches), all of which is related to my system's weaknesses and not necessarily anything to do with FSX itself.The subtle changes I was speaking of relate to other individual items, including but not limited to: Losing the choice of having both the 2D and 3D VC operate at the same time (its either one or the other now), no longer being able to change views using the arrow keys (especially in the VC mode, which is really a problem when you can't get your system past 2 or 3 fps while landing at an airport), and another problem that is strictly a personal one for me, the loss of the ability to control your spot view position (Especially useful for those of us that in addition to flying, enjoyed making screenshots, which is kind of like going from a digital SLR multi-lens camera to a cardboard fixed lens throwaway camera). I have other issues as well and I'm sure many may think I'm being particularly nit-picky, but I've enjoyed FS for over 20 years now and I'm use to FS working in a specific fashion, so frankly I am unwilling to compromise just to fly in FSX when much about what I enjoyed the most about FS is now gone.The performance issues are a completely different matter, as my system is simply too old and too slow to work with FSX and that certainly is not ACES fault. My copy of FS9 works great, is smooth as glass, and I no longer have CTD issues, ever. You then consider that in addition to how well FS9 runs on my system with the fact that I have hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars wrapped up in aircraft and scenery addons, well the choice now becomes even simpler.Steve (Bear) Cartwright

Hi Manny,your "shelf life" argument assumes that (a) FSX will have the same market penetration as FS9, which is far from certain (or that FSX add-ons will be compatible to future versions of FS, which is an unknowable unknown) and (:( that add-on developers don't care at what point in time they are getting paid for their efforts, which I'd be OK with if you send me a monthly advance ;-) The "crowded market" argument, on the other hand, is very true, as far as I can tell from my own experience. Most of the slots for products that would allow a developer to at least break even are already taken.I would like to add though that most add-on developers are perfectly capable of doing their own math, right or wrong. But thanks for trying to help ;-)Cheers, Holger