Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

Post your support for FS9 here please?

Thanks for answering, as I didn't think it could have anything to do with flight models, but wasn't sure.FWIW, my five year old CPU which faithfully ran FS2002 & FS9 , would run FSX like a dying dog on it's last breath! I finally upgraded to a new higher end "mid-range" machine and was pleasantly surprised with how it runs FSX, let along the huge improvement with FS9.With this new CPU which is dedicated to this point, with just FS9, FSX, and X-Plane, I get no CTD's, and they all load and run flawlessly!While you miss a few subtle additions, it's several new subtle additions that I highly enjoy in FSX. Thanks to one of your warbird screen shot's, in the screen shot forum, I picked up the new Shockwave Spitfire. The difference between FS9 & FSX versions is amazing! FSX uses bump mapping which makes the wing structure of metal, rivets, and fabric look much more rich in detail. The cockpit and panel are also much crisper, thanks to the better resolution detail in FSX. Plus, FSX has a well done but subtle three dimension movement of the cockpit in flight, which really adds to the immersion. This effect is available with addons for FS9, but comes default with FSX. It's about the same technique that RealAir used in FS9. And speaking of RealAir, the new FSX model of the SF260 looks fantastic thanks to the bump mapping, and it even fly's better in FSX. Both the the Spit and SF260 are very frame rate friendly in FSX, just as they are in FS9. I run this FSX Spitfire at a near constant 25 fps over my default flight area of KSLC. Same with the SF260.Since I do have a CPU that runs FSX and FS9 rather well, I can enjoy both sims, and don't have to choose just one. Sure, I run FSX at lower settings, but if FSX could run at full settings, and high FPS's, then NO one would ever bother with FS9 again! High res texturing really makes a whopping difference, both inside the plane, outside the plane, and to the scenery. In the meantime I'm still compromising either way. :-hahL.Adamson

>>PS: Thanks to Megascenery X for FSX.. It kicks @ss over the>FS9 version. IF you ofcourse prefer FS9...they have lots of>Megascenery FS9 version that you could get.>And that it does! I never bothered with MegaScenery for FS9, because it looks so blurry from low altitudes; but I now look forward to new titles for FSX. FSX Hawaii is amazing in detail! At nearly sixteen times the resolution of FS9, the difference is highly noticeable. Just check the MegaScenery website for screenshot comparisons.L.Adamson --- a little FSX testimonial... :-hah

>I would like to add though that most add-on developers are>perfectly capable of doing their own math, right or wrong. But>thanks for trying to help ;-)Hi,So true. It becomes more obvious each day, that many developers infact have realised, that inorder to stay in the business, they have chosen to continue to develop addons for FS9. ;-)http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo, flashed to a X850 XT PE. Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP2E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

I don't know about crowded markets - as an fs9 consumer I disagree. New stuff using new techniques is always desirable even if an older version of the same (say - airport, exists)There are also still slots to fill - Airbusses for example - no serious contender for the PSS title yet - it seems imho most complex fliers have not given Wilco a second thought. Also I would buy a new 737 or 757, again, REAL contenders, in a heartbeat. FSX cannot in it's current form satisfy heavy ifr users used to the crowded skies and airports of fs9.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpg

Regards,

Mark

Wow..I find this dicsussion rather strange.Why does it have to be one sim or the other? Why not have both installed?I find it really odd that these people bought FSX and then, in an apparent tantrum, uninstalled it forever. Why? Unless they are so short of hard disk space, it makes no sense to me.My take on this is... developers will do what they feel makes financial sense. Correct.I imagine most are waiting to see what Aces SP1 brings in terms of performance improvements.However.. we at Avsim are a small portion of the user base. It's FSX sitting in prime spot on the shelves of Best Buy, PCWorld, Walmart etc etc....worldwide... The future is FSX without a doubt.So what do I personally want from developers? I want the best of both worlds... I want my products to be for both platforms if possible.. as I am reluctant to spend more on FS9 alone. I would happily buy a product for FS9 if it had a free or minimal cost upgrade to FSX. I would buy an FSX only product.As others have said, FSX will come good. It's day will come. I fly both at the moment.. FS9 with it's many addons ( heavy iron flights ) and FSX with just a few addons (FSGenesis, Xclass and the great SF260 )for bush flying.I hope Aces can fix this problem that the scenery devs are having with ground textures.... once we start getting more FlyTampa quality airports and LDS/PMDG aircraft ( using the unused processor cores ) then it will be FSX only for me.Paul

Hello"It's FSX sitting in prime spot on the shelves of Best Buy, PCWorld, Walmart etc etc....worldwide"Well here in the UK, after visiting my local PCWorld i can tell you that there is one copy of FSX standard alongside quite a few copys of FS9.FS9 is still full price and is flanked by quite a few boxed addons.FSX is on sale.

OK,I am surprised.... but I think that isn't the norm.. the average PCWorld buyer isn't going to have heard anything negative about FSX.Lets see the situation in 6 months.Paul

"As to what else has changed, how would you know? I've been running FSX for nearly four months, and you don't even own it."Yeh but if I go back those four months you've spent more time in these forums defending FSX versus flying it. On top of that your hobby must be very isolated as I take it you never venture out to fellow simmers residences to compare notes. Larry for the 15th time, I have friends who had/have the thing loaded on their machines. I've had more than my share of stick time with FSX. I can make valid comments and assessments at this point of the new sim. I guess I'm going to have to repeat this whole thing again in a similar discussion sometime in the future as your sure to forget... I may as well copy what I just wrote here to save myself the trouble. :-roll

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

There are so many slots to fill for airport scenery as well. But since FS9 is so saturated with add-ons, someone point me to a professional KMSP project. I'd love to see that airport in full detail in FS9.

FS2020 

"A hobby's main purpose is to have fun and not to tell others how or what to have fun with."And if that's what you think I'm doing then you need to re-read what I wrote above. Let's put this in perspective, Holger for one I didn't start this thread, two may main and only point here was for us to stay on topic. If you like FSX or are indifferent to the two sims why post a comment? Dave (the original poster) wanted to here from those who were staying with FS9 for one purpose alone. All this other babble from Larry and a few others is extra mess that shouldn't even be in this thread. I'm wondering why many of these guys are even in the FS9 forum...Holger just like what was told to me, if you don't like FS9 or have nothing to add positive to an FS9 discussion stay in the FSX forum. Concerning your scenery design choices (since your so indifferent), I guess you've figured out how to develop custom ground scenery in FSX. From the sounds of it both products are equally pared and it's no one's choice but the developer in question as to what sim he chooses to design for. What customers say is of little or no concern... "As a professional engineer, however, I recognize that FS9 is now an obsolete product that will be replaced in time with newer versions whether the existing user base likes it or not. So it is, and so it has always been... the only real question is how long it will take."DJ I don't know where your getting this theory from but it's wrong. I could point to many examples to debunk your theory but I'll use one. Do you think if Aces decided FSX was going to go by way of the XBOX360 that FS9 would fall by the wayside? Do you think people would stop using the last PC version (in short we all go buy XBOX360's) if that were to happen??? FS9 would live for the next 10 years if need be by this community. Falcon 4.0 is a great example of this. Development stopped yet the community around it kept the sim going into it's latest incarnation (Falcon Allied Force). FAF was totally updated by the community around Falcon 4.0. Just because a new version of Flight Simulator is out doesn't automatically mean the last one will get dropped. That's faulty thinking that only leads to arrogance on the part of a said developer. Trust me if the new version is crap or moves over to some unreasonable gaming platform, people will stick with the last best thing. Every new version of FS has to out due the last to some extent or people won't bother. We've been lucky up to this point not to have had that problem with the Flight Simulator Franchise. We came close with FS95 and FS2000. At present FSX is the only sim in FS history that hasn't lived up to and surpassed it's predecessor on all fronts...

FS2020 

Guest Keyno-onyeK

What, what are you doing here L.Adamson? This is not the FSX sucks message. This is the we love FS9 and developers, please make more for FS9. Why are jumping up and down, red in the face, defending FSX?Go away!Let me make it clearer. Theres this log cabin with all this yippie and yahoo for FS9. We're a bunch of happy guys. And theres you, face up against the window and steaming it up. Yelling FSX FSX!I have 95% of everything made by payware developers. I love my FS9, and i want to let developers know that im still here, buying up FS9 addons for some time to come.You know FS9ers(i like that)i was wondering how MS was gonna out do their lastest and best so far Microsoft Flight Simulator Century of Flight. I guess its gonna take another year.

Guest Water Mango

"Is it only a simmer who prefers to sim fly commercial aircraft?"Darn right since you nor I will ever do it in real life anyway. Larry let me know when Delta hires you..."Please define an "aviation enthusiast"..."As long as you don't either..."Do you speak for all?"You speak for no one unless their on the bandwagon of one sim. Why can't you give it a rest??? You like FSX, fine but must you attack every thread that offers an apposing opinion. It's like you

Guest Water Mango

He can't help himself... The word 'hypocrite' comes to mind when I think of how he's scolded people in the FSX forum for the very thing he's doing here.

Guest Water Mango

" it's not"'It's not' because this thread has been hijacked by FSX special interest groups. It started out fine... :-roll

This thread is not pointless ... though some are missing the point! :)FS9 is far from dead or beyond improvement . As Mark said "New stuff using new techniques is always desirable "The recorder module is a relatively new addition. 3D XML gauges in the VC certainly has not been fully explored.... that is 3D ultra smooth gauges in the VC ...this is a new phenomena (it shouldnt be) that would transform VC's for me.NOTE and this is a big NOTE! ...In FS9 one can have ultra smooth VC's AND 2D panels!!!!!!!!!! As for Fly Tampa quality sceneries .... bring em on!!!!!!!