Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

Post your support for FS9 here please?

Count me in please.I cannot afford to throw away my two year old P4 3.4ghz Dell Dimension 8400 which does everything I need to do very well - except run FSX (at least judging by my experience with the demo). I have never purchased any payware add-ons. Instead, I have been satisfied to operate with the best of the free-ware stuff available. However, now that I have ruled out FSX (unless reports start coming in that the patch has performed some kind of miracle)it looks like I will be staying with FS9 for a few years yet. So I think it is time now to begin purchasing some of the add-ons that I have been reading so much about.With so much technological flux going on (Vista,DX10,Vienna,multi-cores etc I think it might be a good time to just sit back and enjoy what I have. My only investment for now will be some add-ons for FS9. Investment in new hardware can wait until some time after the next version of FS is released if that ever happens.Trevorbee

Hi there,I could give you a list of at least 20 airports I'd like to see in high detail done for FS9. Others can do the same.How many people would buy a KMSP? 50, 100, 200, 300?I was talking about projects that are *financially viable* for the developer(s). Since this thread is for or about developers I'd assume people would try to see the issue from a developer's perspective as well.I have to admit though that I know very little about the market for aircraft so my comments were based on my knowledge about scenery and landscape enhancements.Cheers, Holger

Larry,Your comments have lead me to firmly believe that the fault, concerning how terrible FSX appears and performs on my system, relates strictly to my system and not with FSX. I've seen several screenshots (in the screenshot forum) of FSX and they appear quite impressive, but when I had both FS versions on my system and had installed my copy of the Shockwave P-51 and Spitfire (into both FS9 and FSX), the appearance of the aircraft and the fps comparison between the two FS versions was astounding! On my system, FS2004 is vastly superior to FSX, rendering the Shockwave Spitfire (in FSX) similar to what you would have expected with FS98 or maybe even FS Win95. My system (its specifications are listed in a prior posting) is dedicated to Flight Simulator only and as the original poster here intended, I put my vote in for the hope that the developers won't abandon all of us users that will continue to use FS9. I should also point out that I have slightly over 160GB of available space still remaining on my harddrive (my copy of FS9 is only using 279GB of space at the moment), meaning I have a lot of room available for future addons.I just did a quick calculation and if I were to fly each of my installed aircraft (including the repaints for each) for 1 hour a day, switching to a new aircraft every day, flying for 1 hour 7 days a week, it will take me just over 6 years and 6 months to get through the aircraft I have installed right now. This doesn't take into consideration any future addons I might also install. So I think I will wait until I've gotten through the aircraft I have now before I really think of moving over to FSX. Maybe in 6 1/2 years I will have upgraded my system by the then, so possibly it will successfully run FSX, which will probably have been replaced by some later version of Flight Simulator (of course its possible that a future version of Flight Simulator will not be capable of running on the system I have by that time, meaning I will continue to use FS9 even then, sort of a catch 22, if you get my drift)! :-lolBottom-line, I hope that developers will still be releasing addons for FS9, 7 or 8 years from now and if they do, I will probably continue to buy them! :-)Steve (Bear) Cartwright

The FSX a really excited user are trying to hijack this thread :(I hope FS developers can see that the FS9 community is quite large. I also hope that AirlinerXP make the Airbus series compatible with FS9 :)

Hi,>However.. we at Avsim are a small portion of the user base.So true. Infact we are just a fraction of the users. I don

Staffan

>You speak for no one unless their on the bandwagon of one sim.> Why can't you give it a rest??? You like FSX, fine but must>you attack every thread that offers an apposing opinion. It's>like you

FS9 is a game and always will be. FSX is a game, and always will be.Prove me wrong.

Guest JohnPaulJones

I'm fully behind FS2004 and FSX. In fact FSFlyingSchool even supports FS2002 :(

Guest AOA

ChrisI would not be too concerned about the chronic antagonists as their agendas are all too clear.To stay ontopic I support continued development for FS9 as this is the sim I`ll be flying for the forseeable future.And yes I have FSX and have given it a fair chance and to me it lacks plain and simple.Pete

Hi,I am no expert with the marketing thing.. but when I was wandering around Circuit City and Best Buy in US and PCWorld in UK a month or so ago, they all had FSX in prime spots. I imagine the average non hardcore user doesn't tweek as much as us.. and when I installed FSX the "out the box settings" stuck at a locked 20. It looked smooth and it looked OK visually. Only after raising those sliders do things start to slow down.I don't have a high end system.. AMD3800x2 with an ATI850pro card...but with tweeks it runs good on my system.I remember reading here that Microsoft are pointing FS users to Avsim and other sites, so we can expect that "non tweeking, non hardcore average buyer" to start exploring "our world" of addons. Potential customers.I repeat, I use both FS9 and FSX happily. I would buy an addon for FS9 now.. but would be much more likely to buy it if it was for FSX as well... so, as the original poster had in mind... Developers, please continue to develop for FS9 as well as FSX.Paul

I also have a Dell 3.4 .Seems you and I are only 200 MHz from the 'final' race to the MHz line. LOL!My machine is blistering fast with EVERYTHING except FSX.Everything still on hard drive---- except FSX.Seems rational to me! LOLCheers!Mitch R.

>Chris>>I would not be too concerned about the chronic antagonists as>their agendas are all too clear.My agenda is not clear at all.Since installing FSX, I've picked up GE Pro, Flight Sceneries Portland, Sky Simulations P-38, Shockwave's Spitfire, the Captain sim C-130, and the Dornier Do 27. All FS9 products and continued support for the developers. So what's my agenda? Anti FS9? I don't believe so...L.Adamson

Hi,I have talked with a few retailers i know here in Stockholm. And they say that the total sold FSX copies minus the refunds are less than the totally sold copies of FS98, yes (FS nignty eight) for the same period of time. And there is not even one retailer I talked to who doesn

Staffan

Hi Staffan,I agree totally that the release isn't going smoothly. As stated I would like to see dev support for both products until most problems with FSX are ironed out and more of our community are making the change.It was always going to be an uphill struggle due to the number of high quality products users have bought during the FS9 lifespan.As for MS pointing to AVSIM etc... wasn't there "headline news" several months back.. well before FSX released.. saying we are going to find increasing numbers of new members as these sites become more integrated with MSFS?What I see here is people with what seems to be hidden agendas.. why the "them and us" attitudes? What's the point?Do they want MS/Aces to discontinue the series? Is is just the frustration that FSX isn't as good as they hoped manifesting itself in this way?Even the OP, Dave in laid back Devon made a rather personal attack on one of the Aces team in another thread... over information on realase of SP1. The Aces guy took offence and asked him not to make personal attacks. It all seems a bit "overstressed" to me.Paul