Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

Post your support for FS9 here please?

"How many people would buy a KMSP?"You have got to be kidding me... :-lol You honestly think one of the major Hubs of Northwest Airlines and Sun Country wouldn't sell (Aces even addressed this airport in FSX to their credit). Minneapolis is the home of major stars, movies, and of all things the Mall of America (a fare more influential area than both Indianapolis and Milwaukee put together)... We have payware versions of KMKE and KIND and you have the gaul to think KMSP wouldn't do any better. I guess your in the camp of making another KORD or KLAX for the 15th time. Maybe we need another KJFK as well.This can't be 'Holger Sandman' who've I've come to appreciate over the years. :-hmmm

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>Keep in mind, that FS2000 was the first MSFS release, that>actually contained authentic data-bases for topography,>airports, and navigation. Prior releases were more game like>than ever. I'm surprised that so many feel that FS2000 was>some kind of a failure.Hi,Well we mainly talked about performance. The new features that FS2000 had compared with FS98 was noticeable for the "hardcore" simmers. The average simmer didn

Staffan

Guest JohnPaulJones

>I have talked with a few retailers i know here in Stockholm.>And they say that the total sold FSX copies minus the refunds>are less than the totally sold copies of FS98, yes (FS nignty>eight) for the same period of time. And there is not even one>retailer I talked to who doesn

>Keep in mind, that FS2000 was the first MSFS release, that>actually contained authentic data-bases for topography,>airports, and navigation. Prior releases were more game like>than ever. I'm surprised that so many feel that FS2000 was>some kind of a failure.>>L.AdamsonYes, FS2000 was actually a great sim, once hardware caught up with it. I remember not buying FS2000 right away and sticking with 98 for some time. Once I had the hardware to run it, FS2000 was a huge leap forward. I think it will be the same for FSX. FSX will be the future of simming. Eventually hardware should catch up. By the way, this is coming from someone who doesn't even own FSX. I spent a short time with the demo and uninstalled.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

"FS9 is a game and always will be. FSX is a game, and always will be.Prove me wrong."FS9 has been featured in more than a few real world pilot training courses.Flight simulator is sold right along real world pilot training aids:http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/category13023.htmlhttp://www.transair.co.uk/Category.asp?SID=1&Category_ID=614Flight Simulator used for official training:http://www.asa2fly.com/http://www.asa2fly.com/product1.asp?Custom...Product_ID=845&http://www.aopa.org/pilot/features/future0004.htmlThese links aside, anyone can look on the can of FS9 or the box of FSX and find credible sources from the aviation world supporting Flight Simulator. This has been the trend since FS98. Flight Simulator is constantly featured each year at Oshkosh's Air Venture and many if not most airshows throughout the world. Pretty impressive for just a game...

FS2020 

Absolutely correct - MS develops and markets a GAME franchise. Even if a r/w pilot uses it to polish his ifr skills or whatever, as opposed to armchair jocks like me, it's still a game. Even when said pilot then gets behind a real yoke with real lives in his hands, fs on his pc back home is what? a game.edit - having just seen Dillon's post, I dug a little deeper - Microsoft does in fact tout fs as complementing r/w training:http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimul...rainingfeaturesIf is is a game, then it's an educational one, but until desktop pc simtime counts r/w...regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpg

Regards,

Mark

>>Even the OP, Dave in laid back Devon made a rather personal>attack on one of the Aces team in another thread... over>information on realase of SP1. The Aces guy took offence and>asked him not to make personal attacks. >Paul>Oh really, what thread was that then?

Dave Taylor gb.png

"Even if a r/w pilot uses it to polish his ifr skills"How many games do you know of that are capable of being used to polish up real world skills??? :-hmmmPilot's (especially those who got their start with FS) have been known to use FS to get familiar with a new area before actually flying there in real life. The Northwest pilot's who landed at the wrong airport (in good weather mind you) in Salt Lake City would have done well to have had a utility like FS9/FSX before flying to an area they hadn't seen before. They'd still have their jobs today... My point was to answer Larry above and I've more than done that. Now if you can show me another 'game' (PC, XBOX, or Playstation) that can equally bring the million dollar systems of a 747 down to the level of a PC for a fraction of the cost I'm all ears. Show me another 'game' that shows me what Venice looks like from street level as well as above. Show me another 'game' that helps me avoid real world hazards like mountains should I decide to go there. Even most driving 'games' today take you out of the seat and place you unrealistically behind the car. You'd have a great example (I'm actually giving you one here) if games like 'Need For Speed' still had behind the will simulation. All that's mostly gone. Nascar is another example (oops, I've given you two) but that's been off the market for some time (it even had great customizable FDE's for the various cars). Nothing out there is on the level of Flight Simulator especially with add-ons. I don't want to get into the money it's saved me on my real world flight training (that's a whole other topic).

FS2020 

Please don't hijack this thread by changing the title. If you need to start another with a new title, do it?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Le't put it back on track Dave... :-)I changed the title back for everything below this post...

FS2020 

Well here's my support.. FSX can't be used as a serious sim in it's current state. It doesn't perform half as well upon it's initial release as what FS9 did at the same time at the beginning of it's own lifespan. Somehow, everyone expects FSX to be ok 'when technology catches up with it'. That's going to be like...5-6 years from now?? (yes, possibly *that* long)... and I for one can't wait as long as that to be able to enjoy the sim... the DX10 promises are just promises, I seriously doubt we're going to get an amazing-looking and performing sim in a years' time or however long they say it's going to be. They made a load of noise about how good FSX was going to be, as if we were going to get this big sudden transformation with the FS series, and to be honest it's just been a non-starter so far. Otherwise we wouldn't have threads such as this popping up on FS forums every couple of days. Just forget FSX and wait for it to mature *as FS9 did over a few years* and until then enjoy what FS9 has to offer, as the sim which performs much better out of the two. It's not like the FS9/FS2002 comparison IMO, because FS2002 was disappointing in comparison with what other computer games at the time could offer, performance and graphics-wise. FS9 wasn't/isn't. FSX attempts things which are simply too far ahead of today's technology. FS9 didn't do that to such an extent, and has proved to be quite successful I would say, and still is. It will take a good 5 or 6 years at least before FSX runs as well as FS9 does now (with all the trimmings, AI traffic, clouds etc etc). IMO staying with FS9 for the next few years is by far the most sensible thing to do, and I reckon that's just what a vast majority of flightsimmers will be doing, if they have an ounce of common sense. :-)