Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

FSX vs. FS 9 - your opinion - is it really worth it?

I was wondering - since I received my free copy of FSX after the AVSIM convention, I have only played around with FSX only twice. Because of my older Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ machine, naturally it runs really slow. My FS 9 runs really nicely, with nice frame rates, etc, plus I have all my beautiful addons working on FS 9. Therefore - 2 Questions:- How many of you have had a similar experience as me - tried FS X, and virtually put it back in the box indefinitely, saying, "I'll just stick with FS9 since it works nicely?" And.... - How many feel the difference between the two versions of FS X is very much worth going out and buying a whole new computer system for that can better handle FSX?Is it the difference REALLY worth it?Thanks.Chris Catalano

Check out the 20 or so threads where this is discussed until the topic gets locked...DJ

>Check out the 20 or so threads where this is discussed until>the topic gets locked...>Agreed

Why'd the thread starter post this in both forums? Obviously people in this forum are going to say, geez that's a stupid question FSX is poop, blah blah blah, and the folks in the FSX forum are going to say, since they're a little more reasonable, "Well, it depends on how well it runs on your system, if it runs good than go with FSX, if it runs poorly then stick with FS9.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest wayupthere

>Obviously people in this forumThats a pretty harsh generalization, I for one DON'T think its Poop eventhough i too stick with 9 for a while to come, and dont think that just because people stick with FS9, it automatically means that everybody that does finds it Poop we all have our own reasons why we do.. I just find that this topic has been discussed to death already. >and the folks in the FSX forum are going to say, since they're a little more reasonableSo your saying that ALL FS9 forum stickers arent resonable..Ehhh Right.Just sooo sick and tired of the whole 9 vs X.. To each its own, enjoy the %@%^$ Simulator, whatever one..its about flying........ GOD

Whoa. heheh, it was just a joke, I was taking a jab you guys. If it upsets you, I will no longer make jokes about "FSX a really excited user" or the "FSX whiners." but it seems like everyone else still is.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Well I'll say this - given the now well known performance killers, with FSX MS has created the ultimate vfr, GA, small airport sim, with jet ops as an afterthought. Basically that's what stock fs has always been - now fully exemplified in FSX.Hopefully this'll change with SP1regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpg

Regards,

Mark

Personally, I'm waiting for Microsoft to issue the patch, make DX10 available and Nvidia to update their drivers. Then, I'll listen to all the feedback and make a decision on upgrading my hardware. My computer is almost 5 years old, and a rebuild is in order, but I think holding off for another 6 months will allow me to spend my upgrade money more effectively.I would like to move on to FSX, some of the screenshots look really great, but I want to make sure I can fly the my favorite aircraft and use some of my favorite add-ons (FSNAV, RC4). I fly mostly IFR, and want to be able to fly into major cities with current weather and not have it turn into a slide show (low fps). If all this comes to be, I'm betting that most of the 3rd party developers will put their efforts into FSX and FS9 will gradually lose support.In the meantime, FS9 is a great sim, and I'm still learning new things after all these years, so it's not difficult to wait for further developments.Dale

Dale

I'm gonna have to go with the early majority in this thread.Also, please don't cross post the same thing in two different forums.