Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

a new consideration for us simmers

Part of the problem is that upgrading is just as much a game as any of the software we buy. The developers know this, so they'll keep pushing the graphical limits because they know that sex sells, and who amongst us doesn't get a little aroused at the thought of a 4Ghz dual core under the hood with twin 8800s. ;) Shwing!For now, my AMD64-3000/2G RAM/7800 chugs along well with FS9 even with all kinds of add-ons, and that's good enough for me. For now.

Hi Barry,A very well put argument. I'm in the same boat. Primary PC is a P4 3.0 that is great for FS9 but would be total overkill if relegated to a second PC. Even the PC I'm typing this on is good enough for Office, Internet and general PC stuff and it's 5 years old!DX10 is going to have to be something really special (and I'm talking indistinguishable from the real world) to make me spend 1500UKP for a top-flight PC.The scale of improvement in versions of FS is now starting to level out and FSX could well be the last standalone release. And yet the hardware requirements to run it effectively seem to grow disproportionately to the visual improvements.Nothing lasts for ever. When we compare images of FS5.1 to FS9 they look pathetic. I doubt the graphics can be taken much further with future versions of FS. At least if that happens the hardware will eventually catch up and we can all enjoy fluid performance.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm running X-Plane 8.5 with no scenery stutters on my P4 3.4I have the world package. The scenery is truly awesome in 8.5Out of the FSX loop isn't making me lose sleep. :)FS9.1XPlane 8.5The whole earth...the sky above...and TOO LITTLE time!Years of enjoyment left....The crocodile can wipe its eyes, lol!Mitch

Hello Mark,Please let me know how you like your new card when you get it.Since I am not going DX10 (Vista), I am considering buying an ATIX1950XTX 512 card.I will be very interested to see your comments on your new card posted.Thanks!Mitch R.

What a wonderfully insightful post and from an angle that all of us have overlooked. I totally agree.Every year about this time I spend about $5,000 or so on the newest fastest PC and toss the "old" one up to my son. This is the first year that I did not, instead:I surprised my old lady with a trip to Florence, Italy (she thought we were going to Florida). We flew Business Class to London, stayed for a day and then flew to Florence and stayed at the 5 star Le Meridian, went on a shopping spree at Prada and Gucci, wine tasting at a Tuscan castle, dinners by the Arno river. All for the price of a new rig. So, right now, I'm at FL 370 in my LDS 767, all sliders right, frame rates screaming, ASV providing a bumpy ride over the North Atlantic, anticipating my approach in a few hours into Aerosoft's magnificant Frankfurt Airport, fully customized AI traffic models providing airport ambience and RC4 guiding my flight over Gander Center. The funny thing is that MSFS just being a niche product reflects Microsoft as a whole especially when compared to the whole XP vs Vista debate. Vista, why upgrade??? FSX, why upgrade????I think to myself, what would have made FSX a must have that I would have bought a new rig to run it. Hyperrealistic ATC? New realistic global textures? Totally revamped AI logic? More realistic airports? More realistic visual models and noticably better flight models? Yep...for that I would have figured out a way to get FSX to work...as it stands now, FSX has none of that. Besides, every single worthwhile addon available for FSX is available for FS9!Similary with Vista...why don't the majority of Windows users give a rat's @ss about Vista? Is it worth upgrading your PC just to get a pretty new interface but sacrifice privacy, usability and speed? Nope. I will say that Vista and FSX are hand-in-hand two of the biggest mistakes that Microsoft has made in a very long time.Interestingly enough, Microsoft would have done well to force addon developers to abandon FS9 in favor of FSX. Just like MS is enticing all developers to release DX10 only titles in hopes picking up the abysmal Vista sales figures (titles like FarCry DX10 will sell quite a few Vista titles). Only when titles stop appearing for FSX will there be a mass exodus to FSX and only when must have XP compatible titles stop appearing will Vista be fully embraced.To make matters worse, the majority refusal to swallow Vista and bloated games like FSX hurts hardware sales because as the OP poster said, many are very happy with what they have now and simply won't buy them, use them, or recommend them to others.Alas, it seems that Vista and FSX share the same fate and Microsoft will have to work hard to dig this one out of the sand.

Guest SJDickson

>Those days are over...AMD, Intel, nVidia and the other heavy hitters in the consumer electronics and electronic entertainment industries respectfully disagree.

> More realistic visual models and>noticably better flight models? Yep...for that I would have>figured out a way to get FSX to work...as it stands now, FSX>has none of that. It's just opinion again. Seems I found both, within FSX. :D Oh, tomorrow I'll post some new screenshot's of my new "exterior only" Captain Sim 727 in FSX. Just beautiful! :-hah It's great that I know how to fly R/C exterior mode! :)L.Adamson

>I surprised my old lady with a trip to Florence, Italy (she>thought we were going to Florida). We flew Business Class to>London, stayed for a day and then flew to Florence and stayed>at the 5 star Le Meridian, went on a shopping spree at Prada>and Gucci, wine tasting at a Tuscan castle, dinners by the>Arno river. Could you please not say these things on this public forum -- other wives read this forum as well, you know!!x( Barry

This has to be the most sensible debate on FSX so far.As I mentioned in another thread, my P4 3.4 Dimension 8400 runs everything except the FSX demo just fine. So, if the only reason I need to upgrade my PC is to run FSX then I cannot justify the expense at this time. Much better to wait until some future breakthrough in technology provides a compelling reason to upgrade. Same goes for Vista.TrevorbeeIn Auckland

>>Those days are over...>>AMD, Intel, nVidia and the other heavy hitters in the consumer>electronics and electronic entertainment industries>respectfully disagree. I think that they respectfully hope that I am wrong. Their problem is that the technological hardware advancements that they are busily creating are not being used by the software side of the industry . I really do look forward to seeing software (that I want to use) that uses quad cores, etc. Baz

Hi,I fully agree. Recently I upgraded my AMD 3500+ to a AMD-X2 4800+ but that is as far as I go. I definately will stick with FS9, also given the huge investments I made in FS9 (sceneries, dozens of aircraft, etc, etc)I'm totally happy with FS9 and for me there's about nothing what makes me think to migrate to FSX.WinXP will also stay on my PC's, no need to install Vista.EgbertAMD 4800+, 2GB XMS, X850XT, 320GB

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11