Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

How boring is real world long haul flights???

The opposite is true for regionals. A relative often flies 14 legs a day (~8 hours total). Trust me, he is trying to get out of that and into the autopilot.It depends on the person.

>Well, checkin was at 8am and you know 8 hour, bottle to throttle, >but we ended up drinking until 5 am and the flight attendants, >well, lets just say I stay in contact with them until this day That's not a stick, honey. It's a YOKE! ;)

Mike I have plenty of them. I used to work for FedEx so jump seating in the cockpit of heavies wasn't a problem. I've flown on DC10's, MD11's, A310's, and 727s. Wish I had the time to go into every flight in detail. Trouble is with cargo there's really not that much going on exciting besides flying in general. There's no stories of girls or anything like that. The flight's I've been on were from KMSP to KORD, KMSP to KMEM, or KMSP to KIND. Before 9/11 I had chances to do much more flying in these heavies but never took the chance. Some things you think would always be there. It's only when you get older you realize you should have taken those golden opportunities more often...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It is a little disturbing... :-hmmm Even though I've seen in the news pilot's getting fired for this kind of thing I took it as it wasn't common place. I mean who would put their job at risk like this especially a flying job. How many of us would kill for that kind of chance.What Ian wrote sounds more like the real world (not saying your version isn't Mike) but where society is today people are just not that out going anymore. On the job you really have to be careful with the ladies. This is not the case for some men it seems. The only thing I can say Mike is be careful in your exploits. There's allot of lives depending on you to get them from point A to B safely. If your having that kind of fun with the ladies my hat's off to you. Just remember you have a job many of us wish we had. Don't mess it up on alcohol binges in between cities...

FS2020 

Guest Water Mango

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really feeling geeked up to go flying now... Drunken pilots, party animal flight attendants, wow you know you

>>The only thing I can say Mike is be careful in your exploits. >There's allot of lives depending on you to get them from point>A to B safely. If your having that kind of fun with the>ladies my hat's off to you. Just remember you have a job many>of us wish we had. Don't mess it up on alcohol binges in>between cities... Of course all this "written" evidence resides somewhere on the internet for perhaps eternity. I googled my name and Avsim last night, and it was all there, years & years worth. :7 L.Adamson

Guest Water Mango

L.Adamson do you remember that plane that landed on the taxiway at KEWR not that long ago? I wonder if they were coming from Miami... :-roll

It wasn't from Miami but rather it originated in Orlando (close enough). Mike's same airline by the way. Those stewardess at Continental must really be something...

FS2020 

>L.Adamson do you remember that plane that landed on the>taxiway at KEWR not that long ago? >>I wonder if they were coming from Miami... :-roll Not off hand, but I read Dillons reply. L.Adamson

TO MIKE T ABOUT FLYING DRUNK!IS THAT REALLY A TRUE STORY, WOW! AND THATS WHY IM A NERVOUS FLYER BECAUSE OF STUPID PEOPLE LIKE YOU! ARE YOU STILL FLYING FOR CONTINENTAL? IF SO IM GOING TO ACTUALLY TRY TO REPORT YOU AND GET YOUR FIRED! THAT IS AN ABSOULUTE OUTRAGE!AND THE SADEST THING IT IS YOU THINK YOUR HOT S***ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Mike,Major apologies, my mistake, I thought you were referring to a previous time period, I didn't realise you were current. I apologise again, I had no intention of undermining or otherwise detracting from your stories.Many of the Captains I fly with recount very similar stories from the 70's/80's when this was still very common. I've heard of...As the Captain taxis the aircraft on the runway to line up, he suddenly shouts "YOU HAVE CONTROL!" to the FO and promptly leeps out of his seat straight into the forward toilet to throw up (no locked flight deck door back then). The FO makes some excuse about a technical problem and not quite being ready for departure. When the Captain returns, he announces, "it's just become your sector". And the FO flies it back home.Half the crew returning to the hotel in the morning to find the other half of the crew in uniform ready for the transport ... "errr, we just popped out for a morning coffee, two minutes!". Then running upstairs to get changed and go report for duty.One crew who, having been kicked out of the local bar at closing time went back to the airport, jumped the fence and ran to the aircraft (which obviously aren't locked), went up the rear stairs and drank the onboard bar dry. Then ran back to the hotel. Obviously way before security was an issue.An FO investigating why a Captain is late for pickup, only to find him in his room, face down on the floor, in his uniform, completely trolleyed.These are all from a long time ago when people weren't too worried about drinking and being on duty. With the drinking rules being enforced strictly these days it's all pretty much died out.I'm going to refrain from comment on your story, I don't necessary understand the social acceptability of such behaviour. I do recall being in the States on business a while back and being treated like a retarded leper when I told them I would only have one drink as I was driving the hire car home. The rest of them drank loads and drove home. I can only guess it's acceptable over there. Nevertheless, admitting to being operating a commercial jet airliner drunk (and indeed vomiting) seems a bit strange. Would you not get fired and lose your license for that? I know I would.In Europe we encounter many different attitudes to drink, The UK is relatively accommodating but Scandinavia is a different story. They have an 8 hour rule but it's 8 hours sober before duty (this applies to anyone doing any kind of public transport work/operating heavy machinery). If you're only on a minimum rest 12 hour turnaround then it is quite tough to legally have a beer with your dinner. I was in Oslo over New Year (on earlies), a most sober and miserable New Year I have ever had, although the crew were actually good fun, if all dressed.As to reporting our Duty payments to ALPA :-), I'd like to report your "treats their pilots like Gods" to BALPA. Most airlines, at least in the UK, treat pilots like the cleaners, in fact, the cleaners acting junior under-assistants. See Ryanair as (the admittedly worst case) example. I want some of that leather flying jacket action, now we're talking :-). In fairness, most British airlines have been struggling to turn a profit and have been coming down hard on employees to save cash, working us harder and trying erode away the benefits, oh for our Government to stop giving money to criminals and start propping up the airlines like in the States. We wouldn't have to worry about making any money then and we could go and get drunk all the time.I apologise again Mike, I didn't realise things were still like that out there, I can only inform you things a just a little bit different over here, although I'm now looking forward to going longhaul so I can mix with you party animals down route (not that we get much time). Maybe I'll keep an eye out for American crews in hotels in Europe, do you think they would be much fun? The only ones I met were from the deep south, I saved them from one of our cabin crew who, having been turned down by the female hostie, turned to her husband and propositioned him (he was sexually ambivalent). As a god fearing gent from Texas he was absolutely furious and was screaming at this poor guy to respect his marriage. I stepped in to stop him from pummeling our crew member. Turned out they were a nice couple, if a bit fanatical for my liking.Anyway, I'd like to remind everyone I was giving a worst case example of the flying life, it's not all like that, it's usually great fun with nice people. We don't all go out getting drunk and having orgies in hotels around the world or anything but I've had many good evenings (and even days) out with crew and I've certainly got drunk when the time allows ... you just don't report for work drunk. I wouldn't swap this job for anything.Hope everyone doesn't think I'm a miserable git :-)Take care,Ian