Sign in to follow this  
protzler

You know what FS needs?

A Seminole. It's one of the most popular twin training aircraft out, and no one has done one. Or I should say, I haven't seen one.I remember some unknown developer was going to do one, but that was a few years ago, and they dropped off the map.What we need, is one done to Dreamfleet quality, since they seem to be the Piper guru's anymore. Does anyone know of any other twins that are good for FS, that would be considered in the same class as the PA-44? Thanks! - Paul

Guest Fortress

Boring. No surprise it isn't popular.Cheers,Paul

Guest DreamFleet

Lose an engine on a Seminole on take off on a hot summer day, and it is anything but boring. That's one of the reasons why it is a good MEL trainer, and why Piper keeps building them. For flight schools they make economic sense. For those needing to build MEL time, they also make great sense.I got my MEL in a Cessna 310Q back in 1976. Go rent one of those today (if you can find one to rent) and see what you will pay. The Seminole is still relatively affordable for MEL training. Of course, an old Seneca II isn't too bad either.In the real world, none of them are boring.These days I fly my friend's Cessna 421B, and it's operating costs average around $400/hr. Fuel alone is easily $160/hr. If we had a Seminole out at CDW, I would consider doing it, as it is not a far stretch from the three Piper PA-28s we are currently doing.There's definitely a decent market for a FS Seminole. :)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

"I would consider doing it, "HEY!! Hold on one darned minit!!Mister Betti - you need to be at that grindstone - along with that Golding feller!!!There's lots more himportant aireoplanes that needs attention!!! We need our 727!!!!:-):-):):-):):-):):-):):-):):-) :):-lolRegards,pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm paying $240/hr. for a DA-42 right now. It's a fun airplane to fly, but it flies like a dog on one engine. The FADEC also eliminates the prop and mixture levers, making it more like flying a jet, with just the 2 power levers. Kinda boring, IMO. :-)Still, it makes me wish I could find a Seminole in my part of the country. That way, I wouldn't be thinking "Aww man, there goes another 30 bucks!" when my instructor calls a go-around. :-8

Lou, you should consider doing the Seminole...cause there are many folks getting their MEL on that. ATP uses the Seminole. So there may be plenty of folks who would buy it... I got my MEL on the Seminole and I was doing my Instrument ratings ob the Seneca I.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hey Lou!Thanks for the reply!I haven't even thought about pricing any other twin besides a PA-44. Heh, I can barely afford an hour in the Seminole! I am suprised that the 310 is more expensive...though I don't know much about it. Are the engines larger / use more fuel? I thought they were in the same class.I also would have though a Seneca would be more expensive. It just seems like a different class of airplane than the 'nole.Glad to hear you'd consider doing one. Naturally, I won't hold my breath, as you have enough projects on your plate, and things can change at any time. But it's good that the idea's in the back of your mind. hahaThanks! - Paul

>I'm paying $240/hr. for a DA-42 right now. It's a fun>airplane to fly, but it flies like a dog on one engine. The>FADEC also eliminates the prop and mixture levers, making it>more like flying a jet, with just the 2 power levers. Kinda>boring, IMO. :-)>>Still, it makes me wish I could find a Seminole in my part of>the country. That way, I wouldn't be thinking "Aww man, there>goes another 30 bucks!" when my instructor calls a go-around.>:-8Boring?! I read AOPA's review of it, and was intrigued! I thought the TwinStar looked like an awesome plane to fly! Though I can understand it being a bit boring on longer trips. But as far as technology goes, it's a really cool plane!Thanks! - Paul

Guest DreamFleet

J.C. Howell: Happy to hear you are fly a 42. The DA42 is quite innovative and efficient. However for what one costs new, one could buy 3 or 4 used Seminoles! However, I do think Diesels are the future.Manny: If I can find a Seminole at CDW I'll probably go for it, as we will most likely be doing an Arrow IV with T-tail, so that makes the Seminole much for efficient for us to do.Our FBO used to have one, but I have not seen it there in a while. Sadly, we may not have a single Seminole available at CDW.We'll see what I come up with, as it would be hard to pass up with our PA-28 assembly line starting to move forward as it is (Archer, followed by Dakota, followed by Arrow, followed by Seminole???).;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Oh, it's plenty of fun. The G1000 makes it nearly impossible to get lost, although it does tend to make people keep their eyes in the cockpit more. Lots fo stuff to look at. :-)It just feels dumbed down a little bit without prop or mixture levers. We actually had to do a bit of haggling with the FAA to get the hours flown in it to count as complex time for a commercial license. Technically it has constant speed props, the fact that they aren't pilot controlled was a bit of a hangup.

Guest DreamFleet

Hi Paul,A 310Q such I flew would probably run $300/hr minimum, think of it as you would a Baron. A Seminole at CDW used to run about $160, but that was before the fuel went through the roof.There will always be exceptions based on aircraft age of course. I just Googled and found a 310 going for $285. If you go to the big schools, rates can drop dramatically on all aircraft.I forgot what we paid for the 310Q back in 1976, when I got my MEL, but I think with instructor it was maybe $120 / hr wet? I know I had 10 hours multi, and I don't think I spent much more than $1200 for the MEL.Of course, in 1976 $120 was a lot of money!;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

>We'll see what I come up with, as it would be hard to pass up>with our PA-28 assembly line starting to move forward as it is>(Archer, followed by Dakota, followed by Arrow, followed by>Seminole???).;)>>Regards,>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpgHi Lou,I like that lineup :D

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

$1200 for your multi? :-eek Granted, it was a long time ago. :-)I'm looking at nearly $3000. And I don't even want to think about how much it's going to be for my MEI.......

Guest PARADISE

Heck yeah, I agree. I got my Instrument and Commercial ratings in the ol' Seminole ( or "semi-go",as we called them ). One engine? Down in Florida a fully loaded Seminole with two good engines can make for anything but boring takeoffs on a hot July afternoon.

Guest DreamFleet

I'll try!!! :)If I can find one nearby, or find an owner who is willing fly in to CDW (that's very rare), we'll do our best to do it.It's not a far stretch from an Arrow IV, and now you folks have me really thinking about it.If anyone knows a Seminole owner willing to fly it to CDW, let me know, because my chances of finding one at CDW are slim to none.I'll make some calls tomorrow none the less.I'm willing to do this. No promises though, as I have two other Pipers to get out the door, and putting out products in this business is anything but easy, but the Seminole makes sense based on what we are now doing.Yes, a "Semi-go" is a good term for one!;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg