Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

This whole FS hobby has really now got me to reconsider software/hardware

>"Sometimes the best thnig you can do for a sick animal is put>it out of its misery.">I haven't seen the elephants yet! Where are they? It's been four months, and counting...L.Adamson

Guest LeeWang

Go to the zoo if you're looking 4 elephants. This is a flight simulator forum.. :7Only kidding L.Adamson :-waveLee

>Go to the zoo if you're looking 4 elephants. This is a>flight simulator forum.. :7>>Only kidding L.Adamson :-wave>Good, I don't like zoo's that much either! :7 L.Adamson

Hi all,I'm just glad that all these threads are in the right place now, so that those needing help in their new sim don't have to sift through thousands of posts about how some guy has switched back to FS9 or how FS9 with all of its addons is better and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on, blah blah blah. Well anyway, just wanted to say thanks guys for putting these posts in the right forum, you do a great service to the community by doing so.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Hi Dillon,'Thankfully today we have options (at least until MS partners up with hardware manufactures and all but forces us to upgrade).'------------------------------------------------------Dillon, myself, yourself, anybody reading this post--has TREMENDOUS clout in what shall be offered to the consumer at any given time.Microsoft can partner all they want with hardware manufacturers to make DRM nearly bullet-proof (as they see it).They (hardware manufacturers)can RELEASE this hardware-compliant (driver compliant) hardware to the stores.My **VERY POWERFUL** response is---- to NOT RESPOND!!!!! Keep the wallet in the pant pocket.If nobody 'takes the bait' and buys this crap, they will complain/scream to MS that they are losing sales and are opting out of the party and releasing products that are acceptable to the computing public at large.People just have to be willing to fore-go and purchase-boycott Microsoft's DRM operating systems and companion hardware.It apparently is already starting to groundswell.Trust me Dillon, money talks---shrinking market share/bottom lines 'walks'!Consumers have tremendous clout---but, they have to be willing to use it. Bottom-line corporations listen....or not survive.Cheers!Mitch'er

Guest over and out

This is why a lot of us are going to keep running FS9. And unlike the past, the good thing here is that, now that we are not "downgrading" to FSX we will get sooooo much more of our money's worth out of FS9 and realted add ons. And this should make us all feel great!!!Just think if they would have made FSX so that it could run well on an average machine, we all would have run out and bought it and scrapped our FS9. We would start buying addons for FSX and so on, spending money left and right. But now you dont have to do that.Fortunatly, since Microsoft screwed up, we get to really get our money out of FS9.In this case, consider it a good thing that FSX blows. You save money, get more use out of all your addons and feel good that you dont have to throw out your great FS9 system.So go fly your Level-D 767 or PMDG 737, etc. over the next few years and enjoy the fact that you really got your money's worth!!And then maybe in 2 years when Micrsoft sees the backlash, they will make FSXI more reasonable and we can all feel good about upgrading at that point?

JSC,I see that you have a system very similar to mine. Running FS9 max'ed out with AV6.5 and A.I. Smooth also in the background and with a couple of high-texture programs, I get on average 60 to 75 FPS in unlimited mode.I usually run with it at 30 FPS locked down.What do you get at unlimited? Just wondering.Thanks,Mitch R.

Guest Eek

>I haven't seen the elephants yet! Where are they? It's been>four months, and counting...>>L.AdamsonHere's a hint... they aren't in Hawaii. :-roll ~EwingKATLMSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz2GB Corsair PC-3200 512x4 Dual Channel CL2.5 DDR DIMM eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3Sound Blaster Audigy LSOCZ Powerstream 420WWinXPPro (SP1)

Recognized the "pink" hotel. :-lolWill head there now, and follow footprints! L.Adamson

Guest deKoven

Hoo yaahhhh! Sort of hits the proverbial nail ... !I bought FSX (pre-ordered) and installed it; like a very large portion of users my machine will not run it at all as it should be. I read the specs; M$oft said my machine should be able to run it and yes, it DOES run (barely). I have thus once again been burned by Redmond (the disk makes a nice desk protector for my morning coffee.) I think it worth remembering that the users here and on other forums are just the veriest tip of the iceberg for ANY games. In addition, those same users are likely to be the most knowledgeable about their puters in general. Think, if you will, what the average gamer is doing now! Pulling hair might be just the first stage; only to be told later that you must upgrade your machine if you want to see the eye candy.Well, I've given up (sort of); this system is prolly the last I'll buy for the foreseeable future as I'm 65, and live on SocSec. I haven't the $$$$$$$$$$ to buy one of them fancy muscle boxes and FS9 runs fine. I'll just sit back and let Redmond stew a bit.:D

Guest Adrian Wainer

>I agree.>>And in fact I would say that, in my opinion, FS10 is ahead of>it's time (in some ways)and really should not have been>released until such time as it will run acceptably>(smoothly)on current mid to high end computers, and with>enough slack left to accommodate complex add-ons.>>Trevorbee>In Auckland NZTrevor, Whilst I agree with the general thrust of your argument, I could not support the opinion that FSX is ahead of its time, it is a dinosaur in that should have been coded to support SLI, 64 bit processors and dual cores in that if had those features it would produce respectable frame rates with today's mid range hardware. Best and Warm RegardsAdrian wainer

Guest tango papa

Not sure if some of you have heard the rumors of a new version of Train Sim. I shuttered when I read that it will be based on the FSX system. Perhaps going through the scenery, instead, it might not have as many problems compared with flying. Why can't MS use the FS9 enviornment, using the same tools for airport design, RWY 12, Abacus, and LAGO. Develope new libraries for use in Train Sim, to place objects quickly and easily. But what do I know? I'm also disturbed by the problematic FSX, and the requirements of a very cosly PC upgrade, just to get more problems than what it's worth.Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like -M.Twain