Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

This whole FS hobby has really now got me to reconsider software/hardware

>Not if you have had too many adult beverages! It is white on>my screen!!>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/>Active Sky V6 Development Team >Active Sky V6 Proud Supporter>HiFi Beta Team>Radar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/>AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/>FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/Yoh Man,You must ** know me well(**insert slight hiccup here)Happy flying!!H.A.N.D.

Hi,Yes I think Mick Soft has done a car sales act again,tell you it the fastest Ferrari on wheels, then afteryou buy it they tell you - but for downhills only - we are just waiting for the designers to make allroads downhill!!!!!! never happen will it?????H.A.N.D.

I think old-timers will remember similar situations have happened in the past...My own experience has been the following: back in the MSFS 5.1 days, there was a big push from Microsoft to upgrade to Windows95.So they made a few changes to MSFS and launched FS95, which ran in Windows95 only. There wasn't a lot in it that encouraged (me in this case) to upgrade, but still I gave in and bought it. Frankly I think it's the worst version of MSFS to hit the market yet. It was quickly removed from my system and shelved until one of the best MSFS versions ever was born: FS98.Same thing with FS2000... there was little in FS2000 that was worth sacrificing all the great stuff available in FS98. Performance was very bad too, compared to FS98. I think FS2000 was just a tool used by MS to rise the money needed to produce FS2002, which was a very good version and the foundation for the greatest and most revolutionary FS version to date, FS2004.So, as you can see there have been half-baked experiments packaged as finished products in the past. I believe FSX is the newest attempt by MS to use us as lab-rats for funding the Next Big Thing.I think many of us will just skip it and enjoy FS2009 or something, which I'm sure will be what FSX should have been.I really think it was a bad move to release FSX in the middle of:- A release of a new operating system- Release of a new DirectX version totally dependent on the new OS- Little DirectX 10 hardware- Unstable and non-optimized drivers for these video cardsThey should have waited at least 6 to 9 more months, using all that extra time to fix most bugs in FSX and ensuring a smooth product release to a more "mature" Vista+DX10+DX10Hardware platform.Just my opinion,-E

Enrique Vaamonde

Guest Dandog

This reminds me. I read that Microsoft was coming out with a box set of previous OS's, from Windows 95 up to Millenium. I gues it's for the Uber Geek and another way for Microsoft to make a buck. However, I also heard thta you want to wait to buy it as the first release has some bugs in it.DandogOh yeah,Home built "White Box"Amd 2400+2 gigs RAMNvidia 6200 and Nvidia 5200FXTo itty bitty 17" monitors180 gig primary drive, 80 gig secondary driveJVC Dual Channel 8 track player/recorder for digitizing the 'ol tunes

Mitch,I agree with almost everything you say.However, it is possible to run FSX on today's computers at about 75%. I know because I've done it. The only problems I have are unacceptably low frame rates at some of the denser sceneries, because I run Flight 1's Ultimate Traffic, which generates lots of AI, especially at the big busy airports. If I turn AI down a tad, FSX is fine.I've had mixed reports about whether Windows Vista makes any significant improvements to FSX. I don't have Vista, and currently I've no intention to buy it. It takes up a lot of memory, and contains all sorts of functions which I don't need.Probably, FSX will only run really well with very expensive super-fast dual-core processors, DirectX10, Vista, lots of RAM, top end video cards etc. The fastest dual-core processors are not yet widely available, and will probably need upgraded other components as well.FSX is certainly better than FS9 in many respects, but FS9 can be made much better with the aid of lots of addons, many of them free. So I'mn not going to spend huge sums for only a marginal improvement in my flightsim experience.David Hanstater

The drama queen returns ;-)Seriously though, I had similar strong feelings about FSX when it first came out and kicked my new (then) super computer in the guts when I pushed those slider too hard to the right. But I have since taken a warming to this new FS on the block, particularly now that I am now over the need to have super pretty water (low 2.x is just fine) and that the autogen slider on sparse gives very similar autogen coverage to what FS9 autogen maxed out does. Those two changes, plus a breakthough I had just recently regarding stutters, and what I now condider to be a more immersive world and flight experience that what a blinged-out FS9 offers, even with limited FSX addons available at the moment, have kept me going back to FSX. And hopefully SP1 can not only allow me to move a few more sliders to the right, but also gets many of you others to dust off and reinstall your shelved copy of FSX and give you similar pleasure to what I have found.On the other hand, my son installed his copy of FSX on his medium spec computer (A64 3700+, 2G RAM, X800XT 256M). He ran it twice, first at default sliders then with sliders slightly nudged to the right, and thought he was getting a lesser experience and unacceptable performancd dip respectively than what he got with his blinged-out FS9, so he gave up in disgust and joined the FSX shelving crowd here.But as I've slowly brought my FSX to life over the last few months (AS6, FSBuild, Ultimate Traffic, FS Global mesh, and some of my payware GA and prop aircraft all now work in FSX), my son now increasingly comes in my room to watch what FSX has to offer. I predict that by the time SP1 hits the streets and there are a few more quality FSX addon offerings, he'll be reinstalling and using FSX too.FSX's performance demands and lack of addons may seem insurmountable to many of you now, but these pricey high end systems will become cheap low end soon enough, addons will keep flowing in and SP1 can only make things better. I guess what I am saying is don't cut off your nose to spite your face because FSX isn't your cup of tea right now - it could very well be your tea of choice in the future, distant as that may seem at the moment.GaryPS. I feel the need to put a single sentence paragraph here, just to dramatise my post a litte (Sorry Mitch, couldn't resist). ;-)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Ah yes...and you can only seem to post, after you have unloaded your insults at the first...Enough said,Mitch R.

Did you not see my sarcasm smileys? If I insulted, then I apologise.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Gary, I read your post and enjoyed it.I wonder though why you felt the need to prepuce it with any form of sarcasm. You wouldn't then have needed to add 'sarcasm smileys' as a buffer.It diminished your response.Apology accepted.Mitch

I only did it because you took the same banter I made in one of your last posts like this in a positive manner. I won't do it again!Anyway, I'm glad you could see through to what I wrote. I am neither an FS9 or FSX a really excited user by any stretch, but I am an FS a really excited user through and through and will use whatever version gives me the best feeling of immersion, and that can change with time. Isn't that what it's all about? :-)Gary

You bet Gary, that is ultimately what it is all about.Well..as for 'positive' of a prior posting, rather actually--surprise and deflected posture.***But this is all besides the fact*** as the main thrust in AVSIM as a whole is our collective love and interest of human flight.THAT..should always be the bottom line, and mostly at the end of the posting day...it is!Salute!Mitch