Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeGTO

Landing in T-storm--exaggerated updraft or ground effect?

Guest MikeGTO

Seems like every time I make a landing approach in FS9 using the "major thunderstorm" weather theme, the approach goes well, I establish a nice steady descent rate, but during the final flare just 50-100 feet AGL, there is always an updraft, gust, or exaggerated ground effect that carries me way down the runway. This is using the default 737. It doesn't feel natural, it feels like FS9 is programmed to "mess with" you at the last moment to make the landing more difficult. I don't even have a quesion, it just seems annoying.

"....it feels like FS9 is programmed to "mess with" you at the last moment to make the landing more difficult. I don't even have a quesion, it just seems annoying...."In real life, most passengers who end up dead when a commercial pilot goes for broke and lands in a major thunderstorm are eternally annoyed. Maybe MSFS is trying to teach us something? I fly for business frequently and have always either been diverted or in a holding pattern waiting for weather to clear--that became especially true after the wind sheer crash at DFW some years ago. Most commercial pilots won't even take off under threat of severe weather. I sat on the tarmac in BWI some years back waiting for a T-Storm to roll on through. -John

Guest TomOOO

Normally shear are considered a really problem for landing. In generalyou cannot know where they are and in a T-storm they follow the eyeand are towards the eye.The most serious problem is a tail shear wind. Normally asudden tail wind would push you down the runway. Unfortunatelydue to the inertial of a large jet (ie does not want to changedirection very quickly), the jet does not speed up. Instead theairflow over the wings is suddenly slowed, and the plane stalls. Ifthe shear is large it is impossible to recover and the plane dropsout the sky. High landing speeds are usually used where wind shearis likely. If you are using a small plane, then the effect is real, if youare using a jet then you should crash (stall).