Sign in to follow this  
Chuck_B

Have Switched From FSX to FS2004 and Need Alternative t...

Now that Jeppesen no longer offers SimCharts except online for FSX, I was wondering what I should I use as an alternative? I've paid Jeppesen's for their v4.0, but it only interacts with FSX and I'm frustrated - I'm back to those frantic, "guess-where-YOU-are??" approaches from my first few days. I can open Jeppesen's outside of FS2004, but in FSX it used to tell me from which direction I'm approaching and how far away I was from the airport. (I know - I've been spoiled!)I'm fairly new, and just started when my step sons gave me FSX for Christmas. Learned and loved on it until I joined here and started to read about the relative merits of FS2004, prompting me to buy a copy from Amazon. Well, you guessed it -- I think I'm sticking with FS2004 for now, even though I learned and fell in love with this hobby from FSX until Microsoft can get some of the performance issues cleared up. I just bought my computer in August and it's pretty tricked out already, so I'm not quite ready to buy a new one, Vista, et al, just so my Beechcraft flies smooth and true -- I don't think my wife would understand THAT one. She's been patient enough. :->Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.Chuck B.Pennsauken, NJ

All our wives should be truly commended!Three cheers for all the wives and girlfriends that suffer us our hobby.Welcome.I can't help you regarding Jeppesen, but you will discover the ENORMOUS data-base for FS2004 (FS9), let alone the pretty fantastic pay-ware available for it.First off, I might suggest you do a Google search of Active Sky 6.5 or check out their SUPPORT Forum here on AVSIM.You would not believe what this weather engine product will do to even more fully submerse you into FS2004 flight simulation.I only picked one---for to recommend hundreds of others is not practical. Enjoy your journey!Mitch R.

Guest PPSFA

There are many sources for charts, plates, etc but this site is good for everything except IFR enroute charts... http://www.airnav.com/Another program I use for FS9 is FSNavigator, once you use it you will wonder how you lived without itHope this helps

Current FAA airport charts for DPs (SIDs), STARs, and IAPs plus airport diagrams can be downloaded in convenient bundles for each airport at no cost from www.flightaware.com. Click on resources and then put in the ICAO code of the airport. You'll see an option to download all for this airport as one .pdf.For US enroute plans, again use flightaware. Go to the departure airport. Find a flight of the aircraft type you want for the destination you want. Open the flight. That will give you the route and planned cruise altitude. I often paste these routes into FSBuild 2.3's route window, massage it a little usually in the name of a DP or STAR, and build the plan with the proper aircraft profile including additional times for taxi, hold, alternate, extra. It connects with a running Active Sky so winds aloft are included in the fuel planning. FSB also has an autorouter and in addition comes with many stored routes.For heavy travelled areas of the US you can go to the FAA's Preferred Route site at:http://www.fly.faa.gov/rmt/nfdc_preferred_...es_database.jspand just put in the three letter code for origin and destination. It will give you the low and high altitude routes as appropriate.Non-FAA airports I get through VATSIM chapters. Some offer enroute.For Europe start with http://vateud.org/default.php?section=1⊂=0, select the country, go to its indicated site, and see what pilot resources are available.

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions; they are a huge help. AND Thank You for making a newb feel welcome. There is nothing worse than the first 2 or 3 posts to a newly joined message board, especially when you're still green.Best regards to all.Chuck B.Pennsauken, NJKPHL, KVAY

. . . everybody here was green at some time or other, Chuck! Welcome!Regards,:-wave from Toronto

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.