Sign in to follow this  
moss1

Render To Texture Question

Hello again everyone. I have always wondered this. Say I want to use dxt clouds in Flight Environment 3 program configurator. In order to use them, of course render to texture must be turned on, or a crash will result in FS9. Doesn't render to texture hurt performance? This makes me think, why bother using dxt cloud textures to improve performance, when render to texture just takes away performance. What is your take on this? I have always been curious to see what others have experienced with this. Thanks for your input.

Guest Yak Yak

yes, i agree.Render to Texture causes a major performance hit on my laptop (frames go from butter smooth 30fps to the low-teens). However, all my textures are still dxt3 or dxt1, except for the single cloud file (reduced to 256k, 32-bit); and fs9 runs fine. So i think this is the best performance setup for a so-so machine (my laptop is not a gaming machine by far, but i'm getting a lot out of it with the right setup.-feng

HI Yak YakI am afraid that I didn't fully understand what you were saying in your last post. I have many a/c textures which are DXT3 - and I think I have DXT3 cloud textures. And render to texture is turned on. What is the best for better FPS in a lower end system?Thanks Barry

Guest Yak Yak

>HI Yak Yak>>I am afraid that I didn't fully understand what you were>saying in your last post. >>I have many a/c textures which are DXT3 - and I think I have>DXT3 cloud textures. And render to texture is turned on. >>What is the best for better FPS in a lower end system?>>Thanks >>BarryOn my machine (and this can video card dependant), FS9 runs just fine with DXT textures and Render to Texture *OFF* (for both aircrafts and scenery). However, it will crash if the cumulus01.bmp (found in the root texture folder) is in DXT format. Thus, when i'm generating clouds in FE, i use the 32-bit option, which will give you a cumulus01.bmp at 1,366 megs. (which is an okay size). So give it a shot and turn off render to texture, replace that cloud texture with a 32-bit one, and see how fs9 runs. For me, i get a huge performance boost with it off.hope this helps...-feng

I've had the 'render to texture' box ticked - until now! I always use DXT3 textures (converting from 32-bit if necessary) to get the best loading times, although I confirm that my default cumulus01.bmp (as above) is 32-bit. So I've just un-ticked the 'render to texture' box to see what happens, and the sim loads normally, so I'll let you know how I get on, performance-wise.;)

Hi there technical experts,In my FS9 I've never touched the "Render to texture" switch before but as a result of reading this thread especially concerning the jucy bait of a possible performance boost, I had a go and switched it off. My FS9 crashed almost immediately and refused to start up again, giving the famous message about whether or not I wanted to inform MS about the problem. The only way to switch it on again was by doing so in the FS9.cfg file ..... end of problem.How can I swallow the bait and enjoy the possible performance increase ?My "Cumulus01.bmp" is 86 Kb, probably the original from the FS9 CDs.Hans

Good afternoon everyone. I am glad there are a few responses here. Feng, I did not realize that FE3 did that with the cloud textures. I guess it's the high speed, higher quality cloud texture setting that you refer to, which I have checked. I just never knew what the actual size was. I have never really tried smaller cloud sets out there due to thinking they would be in dxt format and cause the problem I mentioned. Good to know what others are doing as well. Thanks for your input.

I turned "Render to Texture" off (and I have a DXT3 version of CUMULUS01.BMP) -- I didn't get a crash - but I can't say that I got any noticeable increase in FPS.The trouble with these so-called performance increasing tips is that you can't really see what FPS you are getting to an exact figure, because even when sitting at at airport , they fluctuate. Baz

I'm giving it a try and unchecked the "render to texture" box. It's always been checked. I'm trying it out around Vancouver with the Carenado's C206.I have Fs Sky World's 2004 cloud sets. I can change back to the default clouds or Sky World's clouds which are the same size 512 x 512?? I can also use smaller size cloud files 256x256 128x128. There is also DXT sets that I don't use. I have locked my FPS a few frames higher. Haven't come to any conclusion but I look for smooth passing scenery and smooth fly by's from the recorder.