Sign in to follow this  
matta757

Aircraft ground steering

Hi,I need some help with steering. When I taxi (using my joystick only for ground steering, I fly with a yoke) in some planes I absolutely have the most difficult time steering and making corners and I usually end up in the grass. It's especially bad with the POSKY 767's. Anyone know how I can fix this? Is there something in the aircraft.cfg that I can edit?Any help is greatly appreciated!Thanks,Matt

Hi Matt,Not sure if you've done the following.1. Calibrate your Joystick.2. Increase the joystick

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Mike; wouldn't increasing the sensitivity excerbate the problem?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I would like to see a good description of how ground steering is implemented in the sim. At least for the big iron with nose wheel steering, it doesn't appear that the aircraft tracks the nose wheel; rather it seems to rotate around the CG or ref point. It's hard to tell for sure.scott s..

Guest cimanera

I have just started using the FSUIPC feature for mapping and calibrating joy sticks. I find that using it provides more joy stick accuracy all around. FSUIPC also provides a steering tiller feature (as you would find in the bigger birds) that provides even greater taxing control in my opinion.

the problem with the Posky 767 (and all of their latest releases) is the FDE, the FDE designer still believes one can translate the heavy feeling an commercial airliner has to FS via his FDE's, so you find extremely low sensitivity values in the flight tuning section of the aircraft.cfg.I can't really help you with this issue tough,I stopped editing Posky FDE's a while ago, it's just too much work :)

Guest manbird

A good example would be the LevelD, PMDG and SSTSIM, which have correct pivot points for turning on the ground.

Hi there,I don't know much about pivot pionts but when it concernes ground steering sensitivity, this can be altered in the aircraft.cfg file. However, change the values only for those aircraft which have this taxi sensitivity problem. In the aircraft.cfg file concerned go to the section [Contact_points].The first line (= nose gear properties) should be "point.0=" etc.The next figures after the 7th comma in that line denote the maximum nose wheel steering angle. Reduce this angle to about 35.00 or even less.Take heed however, because in some aircraft the nose gear has double wheels. Only if the next line: "point.1=" had almost all of it's values the same as "point.0=", then also alter the steering angle in that line to the same value as you have done in "point.0=".That should solve your ground steering problems !!Please also take into account that if you ever substitute your joystick for another or e.g. a yolk (or visa versa) then it may be necessary to alter these steering angle values again.Good luck.Hans

Is your joystick a fairly basic one because if it is you want one with a handle that twists which makes taxxing much easier.Although there are ome planes ie DC3 that can be quite tricky even with a twistable(not sure how you describe this function)joystick.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Oops ! Something went wrong here."In the aircraft.cfg file concerned go to the section ."The section should be: "Contact Points".Hans

Hey guys,Thanks for all the suggestions... I tried differential braking, which until now I didn't even know what it was, and that made ALL the difference!Thanks,Matt

>I would like to see a good description of how ground steering>is implemented in the sim. At least for the big iron with>nose wheel steering, it doesn't appear that the aircraft>tracks the nose wheel; rather it seems to rotate around the CG>or ref point. It's hard to tell for sure.>>scott s.>.>For the ones with tricycle landing gear that would be appropriate.

Guest CWR Weather Radar

Hi!Isn't it so that FS does not really have the ground behaviour of a tire simulated.FS just increases the rudder effectivity extremly on ground to move the nose left or right.But it has nothing to do with the tires and some points in the aircraft config.Ground behaviour is something really missing in FS.Antoher example is the extreme skid you get when doing an crosswind landing.So ground in FS is, as far as i know, just a different but also "in air" behaivour. But i am not a FDE expert.Florian

Florian, you may be correct in what you say but if your problem is a too great steering sensitivity during taxiing, take offs and landings, then altering the maximum steering angle in the aircraft.cfg, as I have posted above, is definitely one of the best solutions.However, in general and with the heavier non GA aircraft types, my long FS experience tells me that nose wheel(s) skidding in (tight) corners or when landing with cross winds, is primarily caused by the weight on the nose wheel(s) being too light. Moving the contact points of the main gear a few feet towards the tail, usually solves this problem and will not influence the flight characteristics. Trial and error is the credo here but always back up your aircraft.cfg first.I cannot directly relate the above to something missing in an FS ground behavior functionality or it being technically performed in another way but moving the main gear contact points do certainly influence it.RegardsHans

Guest CWR Weather Radar

Hi!Okay seems you are fully right, as i said i am gauge porgrammer and have hardly no idea about all the FDE stuff.Maybe i have wrongly connected the original thread problem with the fs ground behaviour...regardsflorian