Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Changing the active runway

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi Scott,I've been wittering on about changing the runway at the Landing Airport. As to changing the take-off r'way after listening to ATIS giving you a runway you don't want, my guess is that you would need to be parked up,not yet asking for a departure anywhere, listen to ATIS,tune away from it, decide you want another r'way, so do all the wind changing business in advanced weather,REMEMBERING to get the airport elevation and at least change the wind for that height, come out of that back into the sim and re-tune to ATIS and see whether anything has changed!! If it has THEN apply for permission to take-off.I think if you apply to take off and then decide you want another runway it's too late!I don't change the weather stations ( to get a runway) as the 'advanced' bit changes them all anyway, but if you wanted to set up a smaller area of change then I guess you could do the weather station thing. I'll try the take-off thing tomorrow and report back on my findings; as I must admit I don't understand this need to save flights and fiddle about like that. I'm far too bad tempered and impatient to have to go through all that!!Good luck,Andy.

Hey, Andy I appreicate the time and patience you and Hans have extented to me about this issue! Thanks for all the help!Scott

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I stand corrected as I could not get the runway changed at KSEA - perhaps as it is the default airport? But I then went to Point Mugu and these 2 screenies show the runway changed after I'd listened to ATIS and decided to have a go for another runway.This one shows r'way 21 in use....http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167672.jpgThis one shows r'way 3 in use....http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167673.jpgApologies for the other stuff I posted up, I just assumed it would work everywhere!Andy.

No apology necessary, Andy! Were you on approach to KSEA when you tried to change the active runway or sitting at the Gate? If the latter, try it again, this time change the wind direction before tuning in ATIS. In any case not many would go to the trouble to investigate this issue!I just completed a LAX to JFK flight in a Dreamfleet 737-400 (flying in FS2002)and had no problem getting the active runway changed to 25L this time thanks to you! ScottP.S. I'm usually not quite so fussy about which runway I'm given to land on. As long as it's long enough for the plane I'm flying to stop on before running out of runway, I'm happy (G)!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there,it's great that it seems to work most of the time. At KSEA I was just sitting at the gate,engine off waiting and called up ATIS after firing things up, then tried to change the runway, but no joy! I may try that about changing the runway before calling ATIS, but somehow I think it's coded up slightly diferently, though why I know not!!Good luck!Andy.

If you want FS or specifically ATC and AI to accept wind/runway changes, you must change the time by a couple of minutes. This will force a reload of ATC. Just changing the wind and nothing else will result in nothing, unless there's no traffic at an aiport, which won't be the case at big airports.The downside of that is that AI will reload as well, meaning it all has to start from either a gate or somewhere in the air. As opposed to how it is after the sim has run for 10/15 minutes or so, which is much better.Controlling which runways are used by changing the wind direction is a bit amateurish - no offense. The far better option is to make changes to the Afcad file. For example, at KLAX you can easily close all 24's and 25's so that the reciprocal ends are always used, no matter where the wind is coming from.Also consider the limitations of FS. No matter what you change, whether it be the wind or the Afcad, FS will not operate exactly as in real life. It simply can't. What you have to aim for is simulism and that depends greatly on what you want (maybe changing the wind works for you or maybe you like real world weather, etc...) and what you have (100 AI traffic vs. default AI trafic, etc...).

Mike...

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Amateurish? No offence taken, but like Groucho said- 'any club that would have me as a member I wouldn't want to join' so I'll stay an amateur and change the wind direction if I want to land at the other end.It's a lot more real to me than fiddling with Afcads, whatever they are.Andy.

You're probably right, Mike. Perhaps forcing ATC to change the active runway by changing the wind direction is amateurish (no offense taken), but, as you say, it works for me. Quicker and easier than going to the trouble of changing the AFCAD file, too (and it won't cause AI to reload either).You're right, too, about having to take the limitations of FS into account...I'm going to have to add "simulism" to my vocabulary!Scott

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Just posting a couple of shots of runway 16L in use at KSEA after change of wind direction.Also 3 or 4 AI planes hurrying to take off. One shot also shows the DC-3 Shuttle service which NASA is bringing in to cater for the nostalgia market.Amateurs; don't you just love 'em!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167715.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167716.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167717.jpgIt didn't seem to make any difference at all to the planes which way they go. I tend to think that the whole simular starts again each time any parameters are changed.Andy.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there Tom,you're quite right! They are the best and with the best AI pilots of the San Diego Chapter of the soft-hat Hellraisers (semi-retired)However I neglected to give any credit to any of the Team that made them all possible and I do that now..... .. FSAviator, Jason Krogmann, Manuel Jagmann, Mike Stevens and Tom Gibson......who give their time and skills freely so that we can populate our virtual skies with artificial life! That sounds a bit odd, but all these planes,100s of them! can be found at www.calclassic.comas can loads of other goodies!The DC3C Shuttle had a new panel(by Dutch) fitted which may now need repairing as all the dials are on the back wall of the cockpit. Slightly too much back pressure on the stick after a little bounce.Andy.