Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yak Yak

columbia 400, good buy?

Guest Yak Yak

This looks like a finely modeled aircraft from Eaglesoft, but i can't seem to find any reviews about it anywhere online.Has anyone here purchased this plane? and what do you think? Also, how are the fps?thanks-feng

It's a great plane, very fast (knt/h) but very very slow on the frames, unless you have super fast PC.What I'm talking about...12-20 fps fair weather with AMD XP3000+(2.1Ghz), 1 Gig RAM, NVidia 6600GT. I'm afraid all eaglesoft models, although beautifully crafted are not very framerate friendly. Of course, you'll see some additional remarks below here stating the opposite, but you've been warned.Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

I don't have the Columbia, but I have had significant fps problems with some of their other recent releases like the sr22. The systems are amazing, but the fps are not, at least on my system.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Mesa

Same with me I'm afriad. I've bought and got refunds on the two Cirrus models, the Liberty and the Columbia. I even re-bought the SR22 after it had been patched thinking the FPS problems would have been resolved but they hadn't so I had another refund. All credit to Eaglesoft for using the Flight1 refund system as I would have been extremely unhappy if I'd been stuck with them. I do love the look of the Columbia and really really wish it was a viable addon for me but it's unusable.

I have to agree about the latest releases from Eaglesoft. I bought their latest Beechjet/Hawker which brought FS9 to a screeching halt. I may as well been running FSX with the Level-D 767. I wrote ES and they informed me no one else is having a problem with their products. I can see by this thread that's not the case...On another note I have no problems with any of ES birds (don't own the Columbia) the exception being the Beechjet/Hawker. As long as I turn off one or both GPS units in the Cirrus aircraft there's virtually no problem. Even with the units on its not a real problem in most areas. :-)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have it, and it is an incredible performer, as has been mentioned.As far as framerates, the Columbia actually gets better framerates than the SR20/22 for me.I can achieve fairly consistant mid to high teens, in most area's, depending on the weather/cloud cover, which seems to have a big effect in FS9. Also, keep in mind, that as you can cruise at 21,000 ft., much of the time you can get above the weather....traveling at about 215 TASI highly recommend it.My system specs for comparison purposes:Intel 3.4 P41 GB RAMATI X850XTEDIT: Remember, as it is purchased via the F1 Wrapper, if it really does not work on you system to be acceptable, there is a 30 money back guarantee.

Guest dpc

I like it. I don't really fly it all that much because I prefer twin turbos but it's a pretty cool plane. I just took it for a quick spin to check frames. In FZ02 (Portland area) I average around 23 FPS on my system. I lock mine at 28 and with most of my flying the fps are pegged at the 28, so I see a small hit but not that bad.

Guest manbird

That 6600GT might be the problem.....

>This looks like a finely modeled aircraft from Eaglesoft, but>i can't seem to find any reviews about it anywhere online.>>Has anyone here purchased this plane? and what do you think?>Also, how are the fps?>>thanks>>-fengYou should see a review in Computer Pilot Magazine soon. We will be offering review copies to other reviewers when the FSX Version is released...that way you can evaluate both at the same time.:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Yak Yak

thanks everyone for the informative feedback!I guess i'll hold off on the purchase until i get a more powerful laptop. I've read about fps problems with their SR22, which kept me from purchasing it (i love flying the cirrus in real life). I was also waiting for a real moving map (they are suppose to be upgrading it?)the columbia 400 is a sexy looking plane, but i'll be patient for now.thanks again-feng

I run both the ES Cirrus and Columbia on my laptop and am happy with the performance. Yes they are harder on frame rates and that can be attributed to their Avidyne simulation. I have a Compaq R4000, you can see the specs in most of my reviews for AVSIM.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888